Ambergris

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Ambergris

Postby Burinn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:15 pm

An absolutely disgusting looking substance found in the intestines of whales that smells nice when it ages. People have been killing whales to make perfumes and incense with it since Ancient Egypt. Even today it's both expensive and uncommon because of bans on the hunting of the few whales left in the oceans.

I don't care what you do with it.

EDIT: I guess people use it to season food to, so there's that.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Re: Ambergris

Postby shubla » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm

cha boost
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Fostik » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Looks like a cool idea for rare and expensive curiosity/material that you can meet in deep sea.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby loftar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:24 pm

Burinn wrote:People have been killing whales to make perfumes and incense with it since Ancient Egypt.

Unless I've understood the whole thing wrong, you don't generally kill whales for ambergris, but rather it is simply "foraged" from the sea.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby KitsuneG » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:29 pm

loftar wrote:
Burinn wrote:People have been killing whales to make perfumes and incense with it since Ancient Egypt.

Unless I've understood the whole thing wrong, you don't generally kill whales for ambergris, but rather it is simply "foraged" from the sea.

True fact, it can be gathered when whale vomit that, but it can be butchered from them, they kept it inside for months before need to vomit.
Wiki editor.
KitsuneG

Postby Burinn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:39 pm

loftar wrote:

Some Sea Captain from 1902 wrote:Ambergris
The following description is quoted verbatim from Charles H. Stevenson “Aquatic Products in Arts and Industries,” Report of the Commissioner for the Year Ending June 30, 1902, U.S. Commission of Fish and Fisheries, Part 28 (Washington, 1904).

“Ambergris is a wax-like substance found at rare intervals, but sometimes in relatively large quantities, in the intestines of the sperm whale. With the exception of choice pearls and coral it is the highest-priced product of the fisheries, selling upward of $40 per ounce. It is now generally conceded that ambergris is generated in either sex of the sperm whale, but far more frequently in the male, and is the result of a diseased state of the animal, caused possibly by a biliary irritation, as the individuals from which it is secured are almost invariably of a sickly appearance and sometimes greatly emaciated. It occurs in rough lumps varying in weight from less than one pound to 150 pounds or more. It generally contains fragments of the beak or mandible of squid or cuttle-fish which constitutes the principle food of the sperm whale. When first removed from the animal it is comparatively soft and emits a repugnant odor, but upon exposure to the air, it grows harder, lighter in color, and assumes the appearance it presents when found floating on the ocean. Its color ranges from black to whitish gray, and is often variegated with light stripes and spots resembling marble somewhat.” Although ambergris was used as an aphrodisiac, incense and medicine in ancient times it came to be used principally in perfume manufacture because it served to impart homogeneity and permanency to different ingredients employed.

Source
Burinn

Postby Ysh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Burinn wrote:
loftar wrote:

Some Sea Captain from 1902 wrote:Ambergris
The following description is quoted verbatim from Charles H. Stevenson “Aquatic Products in Arts and Industries,” Report of the Commissioner for the Year Ending June 30, 1902, U.S. Commission of Fish and Fisheries, Part 28 (Washington, 1904).

“Ambergris is a wax-like substance found at rare intervals, but sometimes in relatively large quantities, in the intestines of the sperm whale. With the exception of choice pearls and coral it is the highest-priced product of the fisheries, selling upward of $40 per ounce. It is now generally conceded that ambergris is generated in either sex of the sperm whale, but far more frequently in the male, and is the result of a diseased state of the animal, caused possibly by a biliary irritation, as the individuals from which it is secured are almost invariably of a sickly appearance and sometimes greatly emaciated. It occurs in rough lumps varying in weight from less than one pound to 150 pounds or more. It generally contains fragments of the beak or mandible of squid or cuttle-fish which constitutes the principle food of the sperm whale. When first removed from the animal it is comparatively soft and emits a repugnant odor, but upon exposure to the air, it grows harder, lighter in color, and assumes the appearance it presents when found floating on the ocean. Its color ranges from black to whitish gray, and is often variegated with light stripes and spots resembling marble somewhat.” Although ambergris was used as an aphrodisiac, incense and medicine in ancient times it came to be used principally in perfume manufacture because it served to impart homogeneity and permanency to different ingredients employed.

Source

I see this is from website on whaling, but I see no thing in these quoted text that suggests they must kill whale for it.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby discospaceman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:17 pm

I think it's safe to say that more often than not ambergris was a lucky by-product of whaling, and not the single goal of taking an animal. It can be done, but doesn't seem like it would be quite often.

If it were to be dropped from a whale kill, considering how it is formed, it would have to be a rare butcher product, rarer than finding it in the sea/beach.
discospaceman

Postby MrPunchers » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Just ask the whale. If you're nice they might give you some.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby Burinn » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 pm

discospaceman wrote:it would have to be a rare butcher product, rarer than finding it in the sea/beach.

I think this would make the most sense given its real world rarity and value.
Burinn

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas