Idea. Ships

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Idea. Ships

Postby Jackwolf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:43 am

It's not really anything to do with the mechanics or how you're proposing it, it's honestly just that cannons don't fit the setting of Haven and Hearth at all.

Even if you say a cannon will take 40 days to create, large villages will work on many of them at a time. This means that every 40 days nearly 12-15 cannons are finished, by 6 months cannons become common and even inexpensive to buy due to open market. Matches are there for quality of life, not so much because of fun. I personally never make them, or have ever used them. Cannons aren't my method of fun, nor do they provide quality of life.

Besides, trying to say that only a few cannons "won't hurt anyone" is completely the opposite of what they'd be doing - whoever are among the royal few who have them will greatly out class others with little struggle.
Beezer12Washingbeard: If poo mechanics were implemented, mercury could cure constipation wounds
magisticus: Most of us avoid making jokes like this because there is always a risk Loftar might think it's a good idea and we all have to re-design our villages for sewerage. -6/29/17
Jackwolf

Postby boogis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 am

boreial wrote:Rather than gunpowder and cannons, think along the lines of Arblasts, crossbows, small catapults.

Ancient naval vessels were made of wood, water-proofed using pitch and paint, and propelled by both sail and oars. Ships with multiple levels of rowers, such as the trireme, were fast and manoeuvrable enough to attack enemy vessels by ramming. The largest ships were the quinqueremes, with three banks of rowers, two each for the upper two oars and one rower on the lower oar (around 300 in total). Ships could also be fitted with a platform via which marines could easily board enemy vessels - a device known as the corvus (raven). Built for speed, most warships were lightweight, cramped, and without room for storage or even a large body of troops. Such logistical purposes were better achieved using troop carrier vessels and supply ships under sail.

Aside from the bronze covered battering ram below the water-line on the ship's prow, other weapons included artillery ballista which could be mounted on ships to provide lethal salvoes on enemy land positions from an unexpected and less protected flank or also against other vessels. Fire balls (pots of burning pitch) could also be launched at the enemy vessel to destroy it by fire rather than ramming.

hey mate. i like what have wrote. personaly i dont see any problem to implement cannons and gunpowder, but its me, its my vision, but i like what have wrote and it would sutisfy me also if it was implemented. cos you see, my point is we have oceans now, we have continents now, so naval content would be awesome. like you said balllistas are great replacement of cannon and it will serve the same functions. big ship can have 10 ballistas small ships will have only 2 ballistas or something like that, also ballista can shoot straight forward on the go, while fire catapults will shoot with bow trajectory, which is not work while moving. so good for tactics. also i like idea of rovers, ofcourse there wont be like 300 of them. but lets say biggest battleship can have up to 10 and smallest one can have 2. of course there will be difference in speed.

also maybe if we cant to use cannons we still can use gunpowder, for fireball in catapults, burning oil can do fire damage but gunpowder ball can explode.

transport cargo ships is also what im suggesting. to transports res from one continent to another. justify existanse of battleship.

so yes, we can do what you suggest if we want to stick with historical accuracy, it still do the job - big veriety of battleships - heavy, avarage, light, cargo. few subtypes aslo depending on numbers of sails, numbers of rovers, ships bodytypes, size, design and so on. ballistas and catapul as a weapon, and we are done - we have naval content and history accuracy people are happy hahaha

Last edited by boogis on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boogis

Postby boogis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Jackwolf wrote:It's not really anything to do with the mechanics or how you're proposing it, it's honestly just that cannons don't fit the setting of Haven and Hearth at all.

Even if you say a cannon will take 40 days to create, large villages will work on many of them at a time. This means that every 40 days nearly 12-15 cannons are finished, by 6 months cannons become common and even inexpensive to buy due to open market. Matches are there for quality of life, not so much because of fun. I personally never make them, or have ever used them. Cannons aren't my method of fun, nor do they provide quality of life.

Besides, trying to say that only a few cannons "won't hurt anyone" is completely the opposite of what they'd be doing - whoever are among the royal few who have them will greatly out class others with little struggle.

ok ive herad you. your point is - its not a HH setting idea
my point is - the same, but i dont care.
boogis

Postby Yorla » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:55 pm

If you don't care for the game, when why are you posting this? Boogis, slow down you overly enthusiastic approach and try to feel the game first.
And here I should apologize for my spelling... But I won't! Deal with it :P
Yorla

Postby boogis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Yorla wrote:If you don't care for the game, when why are you posting this? Boogis, slow down you overly enthusiastic approach and try to feel the game first.

omg. did i say i dont care for the game? you suggest me to play game first but yourself you dont read my post fist, otherwise you would understand what i ment. Why do you look at the speck of dust in your brother's eye when you have a plank in your own?
Last edited by boogis on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boogis

Postby Yorla » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:02 pm

Elaborate on this then.
Yorla

Postby boogis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:11 pm

Yorla wrote:

Elaborate on this then.

im not gonna, i didnt tell it to you. if you wanna elaborate read whole our conversation. i do explain to regular people if they dont understand, but if you think im not worth to post my ideas befor playing it like for years then i dont feel to explain it to you befor you read entire convesation. i hope such treatment feels good for you :)
boogis

Postby Yorla » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:20 pm

First, I did read all of this (didn't understand everything you said though). Second, you posted on the public forum - I have the right to ask for elaboration. Third - am I not a "regular people"?
Yorla

Postby boogis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Yorla wrote:First, I did read all of this (didn't understand everything you said though). Second, you posted on the public forum - I have the right to ask for elaboration. Third - am I not a "regular people"?

i already know that you r special :)
boogis

Postby discospaceman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:55 pm

If I'm not mistaken, J&L are not keen on gunpowder in the slightest.. right?

I could see ballistae and catapults on ships, but not much more than that (with those items maybe only used for shipping and not combat)
discospaceman

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas