Please fix siege before it becomes a problem

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Please fix siege before it becomes a problem

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:26 am

A curtain wall is the same as an extension shield except:
1) You can't fuck up and get caught out on a technicality
2) Unlike extension abuse, you don't need to actively be there to extend it
3) It's less convoluted, so more people will do it

Counter-catapults:
1) Counter-catapults (as far as I know?) get to still exist, which is dumb for obvious reasons when they've a 24 hour dry time
2) Counter-catapults, if your village is designed correctly, can have the same range as offensive catapults

In legacy my main village had 3 curtain walls, and enough honeycomb to where 8 days of sieging would be required to get everything. I lived nearby Ainran, which I believe had 6 walls. Most significant groups had curtain walls.

That was legacy, when you needed to make a poopload of bricks for a relatively small bwalls. Nowdays, you only need palisades that cost like 3 blocks per segment, when you can get over 100 blocks of wood from a single log.

I don't see it being feasible to raid anybody who's remotely motivated and prepared to defend, irrespective of their combat stats
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Re: Please fix siege before it becomes a problem

Postby Vassteel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:24 am

So if I build a house and put 20 or so bwalls around it how long would it take to get raided ?

How mad would they be if said house was 100% empty?
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby jorb » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:24 am

Feel entirely free to suggest changes.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Vassteel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:33 am

Personally I think its fine.

If you want to spend the extra time and resources on extra walls that's fine.

As for the attackers I guess they will have to be a little smarter on who they raid.

besides the current siege can be completely bypassed buy just using good ole fashioned espionage. Build trust, get roles, raid em from within just like the pros do in eve online
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby azrid » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:47 am

Of course someone who builds industry mostly would be against this.
I would rather hear opinions of people who raid.

I think the difficulty to raid should be tied to a special vault that you build where you have to store valuables(gold, pearls, rare curios) to make it harder.
Those valuables should have a timer of when you can take them out. The timer should be long enough so a raider could get in and steal them.
azrid

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:50 am

jorb wrote:Feel entirely free to suggest changes.

IMO the best solution would be world 10 siege but:
1) Can't extend/disband/build flags on p/vclaims that have had their shield damaged by siege
2) All overlapping claims take shield damage when any other is damaged, irrespective of if the object being sieged is touch by both claims
3) Pclaims/Vclaims show up on the mini-map
4) Wreckingballs do shield damage automatically after being activated, can only be activated after drying
5) Pclaims handbashable for siege damage/destroy if not covered by a vclaim
6) No brimstonning claims
7) Palisades handbashable if not claimed

I'm pretty sure it's too late to go back to shield, though... So I'd start be not letting catapults hit other catapults, or making their range go down over time so nerds can't literally build mountains of them around their walls.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby iamahh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:25 am

seems this world the gap between titans and the rest will be even greater, since the quest system is in place from day 0... so base protection will be even more important to general population... out of control shield mechanics was a mess, the simple the better...
iamahh

Postby eliminoid » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Vassteel wrote:So if I build a house and put 20 or so bwalls around it how long would it take to get raided ?

If you place all layers so you have to repair catapults twice to fire them, (24+19x16) it will be 2 weeks
If you place all layers so its faster to build new ones (20x24), it will be almost 3 weeks.
Hi
eliminoid

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:37 am

azrid wrote:I think the difficulty to raid should be tied to a special vault that you build where you have to store valuables(gold, pearls, rare curios) to make it harder.
Those valuables should have a timer of when you can take them out. The timer should be long enough so a raider could get in and steal them.

Historically, walled cities weren't raided, they were sieged. If the city was raided, it was an inside job, or a small band used the cover of night and used hit and run tactics, not the kind of crap that has gone on in this game. Add on top of it there has been no counter play for things like wall-bashing, and it was very one-sided and unfun.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Critique & Ideas