global pool is a bad idea and here's why.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: global pool is a bad idea and here's why.

Postby Pommfritz » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:07 pm

Yea I didn't come here to complain about it but I just noticed while playing that sometimes when I was still looking for glimmermoss I would go days without it after finding a lot, same with cave clay there was a period where I just didn't find any for a week. then found a different cave (in a different realm) where I found like 5-10 a day by casually visiting it a few times a day.
also when I look for mussles the first few runs always get me a lot more pearls xd

anyway I just wanted to figure out if it's because of that localized pool or variance.
Pommfritz

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:20 pm

Global pool really only matters early world idk why its in the game xD o boi GLIMMERS 6 months in to a world when i have 40k lp hour.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby jorb » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:25 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Still an objectively bad mechanic that makes things worse without providing anything good, just not intrusive enough for people to screech about it anymore.

Remove forageables?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:30 pm

I mean it does its job of slowing down peoples progression which isnt bad imo.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Pommfritz » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:32 pm

wonder-ass wrote:Global pool really only matters early world idk why its in the game xD o boi GLIMMERS 6 months in to a world when i have 40k lp hour.

teach me xd

I sit at 17k/h most of the time but I don't really put in any big effort for it nor do I have any credos that improve studying
Pommfritz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:35 pm

jorb wrote:Remove forageables?

I'm not rly sure what you mean by that.

If you guys think you removed foragables from local pools at least anecdotally I suspect you're wrong because of my experiences with edels being more rare in general, and cave clay being DRASTICALLY more rare when botted from a single node. Both the control(pre-patch discord reports) and subject(post-patch discord reports) groups for cave clay seemed large enough to be statisitically significant enough to prove pools are a thing. Unless you guys just changes spawnrates? idk

BTW, I think the criticism of these systems having to be anecdotal until somebody makes a bot to gather an obscene amount of data that will prolly never be shared publicly, or even with you if it's abuseable should is bad. There's a history of you guys attempting to balance things by obfuscation and it ending poorly. Gerdgen.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby jorb » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:01 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
jorb wrote:Remove forageables?

I'm not rly sure what you mean by that.

No, I meant remove forageables from the game, i.e. your standard solution whenever something isn't working perfectly.

Our reasoning behind pools is to limit the effectiveness of bots, at the very least by timegating how much of the more potent forageables you can gather in a particular point on the time-space continuum.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:20 pm

I don't think my logic is often: thing not work >> remove it.
My logic is often: even if this worked perfectly, well beyond what is reasonably achieveable it still does nothing good >> remove it.

Global pools, growth speed nodes, cropQ nodes, probably realms depending on what you consider core to the concept, and probably oceans depending on what you consider core to the concept are all forsure in the latter category. There's never a good version of these, only less bad.

Don't get me wrong in general I think the trend is haven is getting better, but if you guys were competing against a clone that's just haven but with some of the bullshit is removed the clone would hands down win.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby jorb » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:28 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Global pools

Now we are discussing local pools, however.

jorb

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:37 pm

Local pools are practically identical to global pools in terms of their problem and functionality, just a lesser version of the same evil.

Everybody getting fucked by the pool turns into some people locally getting fucked by the pool because they're unlucky // affected by other player.
Some things like cave clay go from nobody getting fucked by pools and botting being trivial to bots needing to be kinda sophisticated for significant returns. If botting something is going to be powerful, it seems self evident to me that the easier it is for a normal person to access viable bots for this the better it is for balance. Nobody botting >> everybody botting >> few people botting >> one person botting

Probably the only foragable that's actually worth trying to control other than clay is pearls, and local pools explicitly fail in that regard due to the inherent mobility of pearl bots. Moreover, it creates a problem of actively trying to deny pearls from other people manually foraging mussels with your bots - which isn't just some fairy tale it's something we've briefly done. It seems like there are other (((non-foragable))) examples of having to hyper meta game because of local pools that I don't even rly wanna mention that fit a similar logic.

Also, the pearl botting potential problem could be completely solved by lowering their LP/H.

Even if global local pools work perfectly they're bad. I genuinely don't see a single potential good they could do.
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas