Lighthouse

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Lighthouse

Postby Field » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:53 am

Adding lighthouse type building which provides a bonus sailing speed in a large radius. Could be tied to experience event that you see light in the dark. This will encorage further additions in the future to the seas, with various buffs/debuffs like weather etc.
Field

Re: Lighthouse

Postby Vassteel » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:57 am

maybe it could add not just a sailing bonus but a slight damage reduction as well
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 am

Maybe as a part of the realm bonus so that building extensions near the sea would be encouraged?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:08 am

I would love to have a lighthouse as our next new building
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Vassteel1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:39 am

So from the discussion in discord on a Purposed Lighthouse

A light house could serve as the starting point for an ocean route. (like the start point of a road)
Inbetween the lighthouses would be Buoys connecting one lighthouse to another. the owner of the lighthouse could generate an item allowing you to connect your ocean rout to their light house. thus allowing automated travel between them

Does not allow fast travel just automated pathing like following a road on land.

to be honest i think this is a really good idea.
Vassteel1

Postby Sevenless » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 am

Vassteel1 wrote:So from the discussion in discord on a Purposed Lighthouse

A light house could serve as the starting point for an ocean route. (like the start point of a road)
Inbetween the lighthouses would be Buoys connecting one lighthouse to another. the owner of the lighthouse could generate an item allowing you to connect your ocean rout to their light house. thus allowing automated travel between them

Does not allow fast travel just automated pathing like following a road on land.

to be honest i think this is a really good idea.

+1
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Hrenli » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:28 am

Vassteel1 wrote:Inbetween the lighthouses would be Buoys connecting one lighthouse to another.

Sound interesting, but there is a danger of turning the ocean into something what w10 used to be closer to the end - a clusterfuck of road signs (but now it will be buoys).

Might be a false worry and not an issue though. I just personally like the ocean how it is now - without traces of hearthlings (you barely see a fishing net here and there and that's it).
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby vatas » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Lightouses and buoys would presumably be much more expensive than signpost/milestone and maybe require a Realm as well. Wouldn't be as spammable. But still valid point to be had.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Vassteel » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:34 pm

Hrenli wrote:
Vassteel1 wrote:Inbetween the lighthouses would be Buoys connecting one lighthouse to another.

Sound interesting, but there is a danger of turning the ocean into something what w10 used to be closer to the end - a clusterfuck of road signs (but now it will be buoys).

Might be a false worry and not an issue though. I just personally like the ocean how it is now - without traces of hearthlings (you barely see a fishing net here and there and that's it).

Lightouses and buoys would presumably be much more expensive than signpost/milestone and maybe require a Realm as well. Wouldn't be as spammable. But still valid point to be had.

So to address the issue of buoy spam you can connect your lighthouse to any existing buoy regardless of who originally owned or placed it. that way there is an incentive to use as many existing buoys as possible when making your route. there also should not be a max number of routes attached to a buoy like the current roads. in order to travel a route you must start at the buoy under the coverage of a lighthouse

I agree that both the lighthouse and the buoys themselves should be resource heavy.
Just an idea at numbers here: An ocean buoy 200 Stone, 50 Rope, 5 Hard metal ( for the buoy's anchor) 20 boards, 50 leather, 5 soft metal ( for the buoy itself the metal is for its bell ).

The light house should roughly cost slightly more than the Tower with the addition of say 500 Glass and 20 bronze bars.
I feel the lighthouse should have a fuel requirement as well so something like 50l linseed oil per week of operation. if the light goes out you cant travel to it.
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby Ants » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:58 am

+100000000000000
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas