Lighthouse

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Lighthouse

Postby Ants » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:10 am

The thing is that as the world gets emptier, it becomes harder for players to connect with each other. Ocean travel makes it even harder. People living on remote islands will have to travel several hours to recruit players they aren't even sure are trustworthy. Trade is suffering because of how long it takes to meet up with others. There's no reason travel should be so tedious, imo. I think that making it hard for people to mingle hurts the game.

wonder-ass wrote:why fucking afk path just make it teleport, nobody wants to watch boring ass ocean for 10 mins.

This, tbh. Afk pathing would be better than nothing but teleporting seems more efficient.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby pppp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:11 am

Less intrusive option would be having a lighthouse act as a beacon from a largish distance, even 20-30 minimaps. Then a knarr would be able to travel only straight to a given lighthouse and stop within 20 (10-50) tiles away from it. Then we can have a navigation instructions made from parchment which lists sequence of lighthouses to navigate to. The skipper would just use ("read", "follow", "into the light" / whatever) the instructions to AFK navigate. System should auto select starting point nearest to current position from the lighthouse list. Optionally the list might be useable backwards, but but some lighthouse layouts might not work well with that.
Optionally a lighthouse might have it's turning point somewhat customizable, similar to roadsigns now. In that case the turning point would be some 10 tiles away from lighthouse position.
pppp

Postby Ants » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:09 am

pppp wrote:Less intrusive option would be having a lighthouse act as a beacon from a largish distance, even 20-30 minimaps. Then a knarr would be able to travel only straight to a given lighthouse and stop within 20 (10-50) tiles away from it. Then we can have a navigation instructions made from parchment which lists sequence of lighthouses to navigate to. The skipper would just use ("read", "follow", "into the light" / whatever) the instructions to AFK navigate. System should auto select starting point nearest to current position from the lighthouse list. Optionally the list might be useable backwards, but but some lighthouse layouts might not work well with that.
Optionally a lighthouse might have it's turning point somewhat customizable, similar to roadsigns now. In that case the turning point would be some 10 tiles away from lighthouse position.

That sounds alright. I really like the navigation instruction idea.
Ants

Postby Vassteel » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:04 pm

I don't think 20-30 mini maps would be enough for that purposed system which I really like the idea of navigation charts. I also think the lighthouses should require fuel. Say linseed oil which is flammable and fairly easy to make a barrel of, which when loaded to full provides 2weeks of light and allows it to be used as a navigation point.

if the lighthouse isn't lit you can only sail up to the light house preceding the one that's out and continuing your travel at the next light house.

I also suggest that this be a livable building and not just some structure. I would very much like to live inside one of these on my island.

suggested building materials

Blocks 250
boards 175
Tarstick 50
Bricks 300
stone 500
Hard metal (Bronze) 25
Glass 250

could even add a more advanced Lighthouse with a spinning reflector that gives a larger connection distance would cost the same as the base version but + what ever a mill would cost ( Basically a lighthouse with a windmill on it. would also require a mechanism to be built inside like the millstone to provide the rotating function.
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby pppp » Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 am

Don't think there is a place for a windmill on the lighthouse. Until 19th century the fire was not flashing. It seems the fuel was usually wood or coal though some flammable liquids are mentioned. Keep in mind a lighthouse can be visible in the daylight and fire is irrelevant at that time.

Not sure if I like upkeep requirements for lighthouses. I'd argue they should be navigated to in the daylight within some base distance and possibly only require fuel to navigate during night time and over longer distances.

A light located at 150ft (50m) structure can be seen from as far as 14 nautical miles assuming eye at sea level and from a farther distance assuming a bigger ship.

There is some useful basic info in wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_lighthouses
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Hercules
pppp

Postby nosfirebird » Thu May 09, 2019 3:46 pm

if it doesnt allow fast travel what the hells the point lol? you do the same thing with shift click... we do need a fast travel way not everyone has an hour to go across a pointless void that destroys trading
nosfirebird

Postby pppp » Thu May 09, 2019 4:40 pm

nosfirebird wrote:if it doesnt allow fast travel what the hells the point lol? you do the same thing with shift click... we do need a fast travel way not everyone has an hour to go across a pointless void that destroys trading

Carefully, some people around here hate fast travel as the source of all evil.
Seriously though, fast travel destroys local trading in favor to global trading.
pppp

Postby Ants » Fri May 10, 2019 9:20 pm

pppp wrote:
nosfirebird wrote:if it doesnt allow fast travel what the hells the point lol? you do the same thing with shift click... we do need a fast travel way not everyone has an hour to go across a pointless void that destroys trading

Carefully, some people around here hate fast travel as the source of all evil.
Seriously though, fast travel destroys local trading in favor to global trading.

We have yet to see if global trading will really take off. No public markets have been built yet. I think it might become a problem later in the world when the population is so low that small local markets will only have a handful of salesmen and customers.
Ants

Postby Ants » Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 pm

Bump. We're entering that period in the world's life where things start getting quiet. The few remaining players should have a way to meet up more easily.
Ants

Postby Vassteel » Wed May 29, 2019 10:22 pm

The games dead jim. its time to let go
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas