Questing is Love, Questing is Life

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Questing is Love, Questing is Life

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Agame wrote:Best quest system: World of Warcraft, any version.

It's great if you want to tell a giant story. not great if you want emergent gameplay. And it's basically the EQ system, just slightly better refined and easier to use.

Better comparison: EVE Online, Elite, and more than a few others I just can't think of off the top of my head. These are still mostly scripted quests, but presented in a random manner with variable requirements and rewards. The big difference: you have giant NPC platforms that are indestructible. That's just not going to fly for Haven.

Yasodhara wrote:That is such unfair comparison, it's not even funny. Blizzard has a tad bit more resources and manpower, don't you think? Plus, questing is much bigger part in WoW than it is in HnH.

Manpower isn't the issue here. That just increases the width of the pool, and not necessarily the depth. (WoW is a very shallow game when it comes to the quests.) Even jorb and loftar could do this very easily as it doesn't take much time programming any particular quest in the game. It's just a terrible comparison.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SaltyCrate » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:57 pm

I like all of the OP ideas. +1 to them being a thing.

Also, questing scaling already exists and is irrelevant to what OP proposes.
SaltyCrate

Postby Kaios » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:58 pm

I've never enjoyed questing in this game, reminds me of the very monotonous "go here, do this, go there, kill that" running around quests that most generic MMO games have. There is not much interesting about doing them and yet what everyone says is true, the players who spend all their time on quests are well ahead of those who do not and this is unfortunately one of those situations where if the devs do in fact fix it now it will be too little too late because some players already have the advantage of being quite far ahead because of questing.

Plus add to this that the credo system also relies on doing the same boring tasks in order to advance your character, which are also so completely random that you could be stuck on one of the very first credos because you had a bunch of difficult quests you were either forced to abandon or had been stuck on while some other guy got all easy quests and is flying ahead of you.
Kaios

Postby Ozzy123 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Remove hunger completly from the game, satiations are enough currently. Nerf LP rewards from quests and add DR's to them. Saying that "questing people shouldnt be punished!!" Is dumb, they should, they're abusing the mechanic and not doing anything else in the game, of course they should get hit with diminishing returns and game should force them to do something else instead.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby whitepoint7 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:47 pm

MooCow wrote:Quests rewarding local q increase are too weak

Yes, weak but the main problem is they are too random. Well, the whole questing system is too random actually :|. If we have 3 reward option about q rise at least we can make more sensible choices than direct rng.

Other than this, Liked the idea +1
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius
whitepoint7

Postby MooCow » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:08 am

budzilla wrote:+1 to all these ideas, however they need to fix questing in general first. Rewards should scale to how difficult the quest is, the RNG factor is silly and needs to be addressed before anything else.

There is defiantly a sweet spot between RNG and difficulty, but I don't understand how the game decides your reward well enough to propose a solution.

Sevenless wrote:Seems sensible enough, not terribly fond of the symbel idea (I very much like the current way symbel bonuses aren't directly impacted by Q only on what quality of characters they can boost/wear, I don't really want that balance disturbed I don't think). That said, it might just be because I'm uncomfortable with the hunger system in general. Could also spawn actual RNGed food items like gilding rocks with zero satiation/hunger impacts.

I considered making it an FEP food, but that ends up overlapping with the new Lotus Bloom. I actually wanted it to be a hunger reducing symbol item, but hunger only symbol items are garbage once you get late game anvils.

As long as the durability is kept low it shouldn't be too disruptive. Because the bonus is additive with other symbol items you get the same total FEP increase going from 0% to 3% as you get going from 90% to 93%. Items will start having the same FEP effect at q6000, but when you have that level of stuff, your normal symbol items are going to be heavily reduced because of high stats. My intention is to make it good, but not overpowered, at all levels.

Agame wrote:Best quest system: World of Warcraft, any version.

WoW quests end right around when you hit max level, then you endlessly repeat raids/dungeons 'till you have the best gear. The raiding, despite being exactly the same, maintains fun by having to do it with other people. The other people are interesting because of different skill levels, experience, and abilities.

I think there is a lot of merit in studying popular games to find out what makes them appealing. Haven intentionally has player driven story, and no level limit. Both of these elements make it impossible to make anything like the rigid WoW quests. Dungeons on the other hand are something that could be improved by adding WoW elements. I think forcing people to work together, while simultaneously making it easy to do is the best part of WoW. It is "FUN" to be a healer when the fucking rouge can't stop pulling agro, and your tank is a LvL 60 Deathknight.

Yasodhara wrote:That is such unfair comparison, it's not even funny. Blizzard has a tad bit more resources and manpower, don't you think? Plus, questing is much bigger part in WoW than it is in HnH.

If Jorbar wanted to do something that required much more manpower, but wasn't specifically relayed the the game engine, they should just ask the player base. Look at w10 CF; it literally took hundreds of manhours to build/maintain, and people just did that for fun. One of my cousins literally refuses to play Haven because it is basically a second job, and he isn't wrong.

Kaios wrote:I've never enjoyed questing in this game, reminds me of the very monotonous "go here, do this, go there, kill that" running around quests that most generic MMO games have. There is not much interesting about doing them and yet what everyone says is true, the players who spend all their time on quests are well ahead of those who do not and this is unfortunately one of those situations where if the devs do in fact fix it now it will be too little too late because some players already have the advantage of being quite far ahead because of questing.

It is definitely never too late to fix something. I have never once played this game having even the slightest ability to 'compete'.

I think that quests would be more fun if people had to 'solve' them. Rather than follow the pointer, they would be more akin to "Travel to the highest peak, then 4 leagues south you will find my friend Yeith. Wave to him." Once you get close you get a pointer, but before than you need to figure out what the hell that tree is talking about. Quests need to bring some small sense of accomplishment to the quester, and not just force them going to keep up with actual rewards

whitepoint7 wrote:Yes, weak but the main problem is they are too random. Well, the whole questing system is too random actually :|. If we have 3 reward option about q rise at least we can make more sensible choices than direct rng.
Other than this, Liked the idea +1

I think that them being random is a good thing, as it means everything will slowly be impacted, probably. If players could choose, they would choose in similar ways. Having randomness makes it possible that areas become different. I think the best way to improve the reward it to make the amount of things that get their +1 bonus scale. A very good reward could be a bonus to 12 things, while a bad reward is just one.
MooCow

Postby Sevenless » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:08 am

The one thing that bothered me in retrospect is the idea of titan questers. You make one person, stockpile everything into them they need to quest (CHA*1 billion) and then use that to level multiple alts. This removes the idea of active playing a character to raise it, and moves it back to "The efficient work of one character raises many".

Not sure how much I like that concept in retrospect. The issue of "He's being selfish!" argument doesn't fly in my game. Limitations in how much optimal questing is might be good, but moving this into a produce for alts issue really gets my goat.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby MooCow » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:51 am

Sevenless wrote:The one thing that bothered me in retrospect is the idea of titan questers. You make one person, stockpile everything into them they need to quest (CHA*1 billion) and then use that to level multiple alts. This removes the idea of active playing a character to raise it, and moves it back to "The efficient work of one character raises many".

Not sure how much I like that concept in retrospect. The issue of "He's being selfish!" argument doesn't fly in my game. Limitations in how much optimal questing is might be good, but moving this into a produce for alts issue really gets my goat.

This isn't significantly different from the current system with curiosities. As crafts get stronger people are able to study better curios for less effort. Eventually crafters make straw dolls that give thousands of lp per hour, and golden cats worth more. I think that your concerns fairly valid, but I think the biggest problem is in quests giving millions of lp, and not in shifting rewards to alts. If you get 10 000 lp per hour with one system, and 100 000 with another, you are actually far worse off than in w10, when questing + roads could give you 100 000 000 lp per hour.

If it turns out that you are right, a simple solution would be making charisma effect quest rewards when they are used. If a player has less charisma than the quester, the lp is reduced, or they consume more symbol durability. It adds unnecessarily complexity, but it would remove the problem. I really hope that such a thing isn't necessary.
MooCow

Postby Imaru » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 am

However, the priority task concerning quests should be the protection of quest givers, don't you think so? All proposals will be meaningless if the Old Gods will not be through whom to transmit their desires :|
Imaru

Postby Sevenless » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:03 pm

MooCow wrote:This isn't significantly different from the current system with curiosities. As crafts get stronger people are able to study better curios for less effort. Eventually crafters make straw dolls that give thousands of lp per hour, and golden cats worth more. I think that your concerns fairly valid, but I think the biggest problem is in quests giving millions of lp, and not in shifting rewards to alts. If you get 10 000 lp per hour with one system, and 100 000 with another, you are actually far worse off than in w10, when questing + roads could give you 100 000 000 lp per hour.

If it turns out that you are right, a simple solution would be making charisma effect quest rewards when they are used. If a player has less charisma than the quester, the lp is reduced, or they consume more symbol durability. It adds unnecessarily complexity, but it would remove the problem. I really hope that such a thing isn't necessary.

I think the point of questing is to address weaknesses in the curiosity system. Namely being unable to directly improve a character with playtime, and a way to break away from afk alt meta. I could be wrong mind, but it does have that effect. I'm actively playing my cannon fodder combat character rather than purely letting it curiosity up, although credos is also part of that.

The cha mechanic feels arbitrary and unintuitive. It addresses that flaw in the system I mentioned, but not in a way that really makes "sense" from the game world perspective. Cha has never had anything to do with curiosities before, and it doesn't really make sense that it does now either.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas