New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby jorb » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Ok, so that didn't work out perfectly. New plan.

Siege Bubbles
-----------------------
Executive summary: Inverted claim shields.

  • When a siege machine would (criminally) deal damage to a wall object, a siege claim is created centered on the object where damage was dealt. The siege claim is created only on tiles where (any of the) claims present on the attacked object are also present, and at most within a 100x100 square. I think that may fix Ysh's and shubla's complaints. Further siege damage under the siege claim will raise the claim's Authority. When, and only when, the Authority of the siege claim is above a certain level, the siege machine can damage the actual wall object, and raze it.
  • Siege claims can only gain some fixed amount of Authority per unit of time, much like claim shields could only lose some amount per time.
  • Siege claims lose authority over time, much like claim shields would have gained it.
  • New siege claims created overlapping already existing siege claims are created with half of the old claims authority.
  • Siege machines have a very short initial drying period. Walls off-claim can be taken down almost immediately.
  • Brick walls require more authority than palisades to actually be damaged.
  • Much like in world 10, and now, the siege machines break down when used or moved, and have some repair cooldown.
  • Nearby claims are warned when siege claims are created, rather than when siege engines are as is now the case.

Basically, this means implementing claim shields, but with the hopefully added bonus of removing various exploits like setting and removing permissions, creating multiple shields from overlapping claims, &c.

Can we push this on Thursday, or are there good reasons not to?

EDIT: Loftar has pushed some c0d3z relevant to this to the repository, so if you're developing a custom client you might want to merge those changes.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
User avatar
jorb
 
Posts: 17261
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:07 am
Location: Here, there and everywhere.

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby Omnipotent » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Welp, time to rebuild all my walls.
User avatar
Omnipotent
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: California

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby Burinn » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 pm

jorb wrote:
  • Nearby claims are warned when siege claims are created, rather than when siege engines are as is now the case.


How far is nearby.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
User avatar
Burinn
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Internet Prison Plotting Her Escape

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 pm

Burinn wrote:How far is nearby.

Haven't decided on any particular margin, but probably enough to warn at least one "expansion" away.

Omnipotent wrote:Welp, time to rebuild all my walls.

Why?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
User avatar
loftar
 
Posts: 7508
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:05 am

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby stya » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:20 pm

A key thing is missing... numbers? How long until things dry? How long until one can pierce a wall, given that no ones protects it etc... etc.. ?
Come visit Shadow Trades ~ ~ ~ ~ viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48762
Fishing event right now: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=50245
User avatar
stya
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 pm

stya wrote:A key thing is missing... numbers? How long until things dry? How long until one can pierce a wall, given that no ones protects it etc... etc.. ?

We haven't decided on them yet, but generally similar numbers to how the inverse concept would have worked under the shield paradigm. I'm sure it's possible to discuss the paradigm in itself.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
User avatar
loftar
 
Posts: 7508
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:05 am

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby Kirche » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:24 pm

any intention to allow people to replace existing palisades with brickwalls that have full soak if you're going to make them essentially mandatory now?
User avatar
Kirche
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:24 pm

Kirche wrote:any intention to allow people to replace existing palisades with brickwalls that have full soak if you're going to make them essentially mandatory now?

Brickwalls are already better than palisades under the current paradigm, though.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
User avatar
loftar
 
Posts: 7508
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:05 am

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby Kirche » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 pm

loftar wrote:
Kirche wrote:any intention to allow people to replace existing palisades with brickwalls that have full soak if you're going to make them essentially mandatory now?

Brickwalls are already better than palisades under the current paradigm, though.

not really because under the existing system sieges simply do not happen so people did not build them because they were essentially useless.
User avatar
Kirche
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby stya » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 pm

loftar wrote:
stya wrote:A key thing is missing... numbers? How long until things dry? How long until one can pierce a wall, given that no ones protects it etc... etc.. ?

We haven't decided on them yet, but generally similar numbers to how the inverse concept would have worked under the shield paradigm. I'm sure it's possible to discuss the paradigm in itself.


Fair enough, how are those claims inverted claims destroyed? We will want to get rid of them I guess.

Do siege claims allow some kind of other interaction like building or anything? Or just to be able to damage the objext when it is charged?
Come visit Shadow Trades ~ ~ ~ ~ viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48762
Fishing event right now: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=50245
User avatar
stya
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest