New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:27 pm

stya wrote:Fair enough, how are those claims inverted claims destroyed? We will want to get rid of them I guess.

jorb wrote:Siege claims lose authority over time, much like claim shields would have gained it.

They would disappear on their own when they run out of authority.

stya wrote:Do siege claims allow some kind of other interaction like building or anything? Or just to be able to damage the objext when it is charged?

Nothing else that I can think of, unless you'd like to suggest something.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby stya » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Kirche wrote:any intention to allow people to replace existing palisades with brickwalls that have full soak if you're going to make them essentially mandatory now?

Being able to "upgrade" a pali into brickwall without destorying it would be noice
stya

Postby Omnipotent » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:30 pm

loftar wrote:
Omnipotent wrote:Welp, time to rebuild all my walls.

Why?

Because
jorb wrote:Brick walls require more authority than palisades to actually be damaged.

I figure you guys are trying to make brickwalls mandatory again.

Being that you guys have implemented this a good ways into the world though, this kinda screws over everyone with a pre-existing palisade. Is there going to be any way to upgrade them? Or are we going to have to bash our own stuff, open ourselves up to being raided, and then rebuild everything?

This is an interesting idea but I have some serious concerns. IMO it should take a similar or at least comparable amount of time to destroy something as it takes to build it. I feel like this will also open a lot of options for griefing other players. :(
Omnipotent

Postby Ysh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 pm

I assume siege claim have no physical object in world, and it can only be seen by toggle on siege claim drawing. I assume inspect the floor will show authority for siege claim. These are accurate assumption?

Any plan for return of mechanic where can use brimstone to restore claim shield? E.g. use brimstone to reduce siege claim authority.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Ysh wrote:I assume siege claim have no physical object in world, and it can only be seen by toggle on siege claim drawing. I assume inspect the floor will show authority for siege claim. These are accurate assumption?

I think I'm going to make it so that the relevant toggle is "on" by default, but other than that, that should be correct, yes.

Ysh wrote:Any plan for return of mechanic where can use brimstone to restore claim shield? E.g. use brimstone to reduce siege claim authority.

Yes, that's one of the things we considered. Might wait until the initial implementation is active, but the jury is still out.
loftar

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Omnipotent wrote:I figure you guys are trying to make brickwalls mandatory again.

That wasn't really the idea. The intention is to make brickwalls better than palisades, not to make palisades wet cardboard.
loftar

Postby Ysh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:36 pm

loftar wrote:
Omnipotent wrote:I figure you guys are trying to make brickwalls mandatory again.

That wasn't really the idea. The intention is to make brickwalls better than palisades, not to make palisades wet cardboard.

I think probably people will be worried here until they see numbers.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby stya » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 pm

So I like the idea and the effort, not sure on how it will play out yet.

I'm afraid on how long a siege claim could stay and/or how hard it would be for a faction with unlimited resources to just perma build siege engines and try to maintain the siege camp.

I'm no siege expert, although I did participate in a few on big ciities and they usually end up in a playfest over 24h-48h already and were quite unhealthy for our real lives on both sides, I hope it won't get worse with this possible new system.

I could see some special buildings enabled on a siege camp only, with siege features to defend the siege? Help the warriors rest? Some kind of alarm like your siege camp is under attack with realm border style?

And I like that the "siege camp" wouldn't be just a few siege engines that can just be destroyed in 1 min and all is lost.
stya

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:39 pm

Ysh wrote:I think probably people will be worried here until they see numbers.

The reason we haven't posted them is simply that we haven't actually decided on them yet, so feel free to opine. Here are some options off the top of my head:
  • Palisade: 18 hours; Brickwall: 24 hours
  • Palisade: 24 hours; Brickwall: 32 hours
loftar

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 pm

stya wrote:I'm afraid on how long a siege claim could stay and/or how hard it would be for a faction with unlimited resources to just perma build siege engines and try to maintain the siege camp.

I don't really see why it would be any worse than it was last world, unless I'm missing something?

stya wrote:I could see some special buildings enabled on a siege camp only, with siege features to defend the siege? Help the warriors rest? Some kind of alarm like your siege camp is under attack with realm border style?

Not necessarily bad ideas, but perhaps not something I envision in the initial implementation. Would have to ponder if it makes sense.

stya wrote:And I like that the "siege camp" wouldn't be just a few siege engines that can just be destroyed in 1 min and all is lost.

A large part of the point would be that, like shields, they can be taken down in steps without having to keep the same siege machines alive for the entirety of the siege.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas