New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby jorb » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:09 am

The attacked object can be covered by two claims, a village and/or a private claim.

For each tile within a 100x100 area of the object (wall segment) attacked, we ask the question: Are the claims present on the attacked object's tile present on this other tile? If yes, the created siege claim will exist on this tile. If no, then no.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Dakkan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 am

jorb wrote:The attacked object can be covered by two claims, a village and/or a private claim.

For each tile within a 100x100 area of the object (wall segment) attacked, we ask the question: Are the claims present on the attacked object's tile present on this other tile? If yes, the created siege claim will exist on this tile. If no, then no.

I'm dumb too apparently.
Last edited by Dakkan on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dakkan

Postby shubla » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 am

loftar wrote:
rye130 wrote:This game is full of useless bait recipes, items, gildings, credos, combat items, mechanics that aren't actual good.

That is hardly an argument against trying to improve that situation.

rye130 wrote:Seriously why are you so opposed to letting people upgrade their walls? Even outside of there being siege changes I'm sure it would be a feature many would appreciate and few would oppose.

I'm not necessarily opposed to that in and of itself (though I do have my reservations in the aesthetics department), I'm just saying that it's not a necessary change in order to introduce better walls.

If you have built your village close to river or other indestructible thing, its not possible to build a convex brickwall around your palisade.
If you have built lots of houses and other things close to your palisade, its not possible to build a concave brickwall that goes around your palisade.
Only option is to destroy the palisade, but this would make your village very vulnerable, for the time that it takes to rebuild a new wall and for that wall to dry.

Thus if you make changes to some other wall being better than palisade, you should maybe also add feature to upgrade your walls, without entirely rebuilding them.

Maybe when your walls are upgraded, the soak would slowly rise to the soak that the upgraded wall has.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jorb » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:12 am

Could we please drop the discussion about wall upgrades. Completely irrelevant to the main gist.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Ysh » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:13 am

Under this new proposal, what is point of 100x100 limitation? Why not create new siege claim covering all claimed tiles of attacked claim. This seem to me that it is just as old system, except making it based on point in space instead of based on specific claim, hopefully removing claim expansion/overlapping shenanigans.

Also, in case of wall being on edge of claim i.e. with no claim extending past wall. How does attacker view authority on siege claim to understand his progress? Entirety of siege claim will be walled in for this case, I think.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Kaios » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:13 am

I might be dumb or you're just really bad at explaining things coherently, it just doesn't make sense dude I don't know what to tell you like how does what you're saying resolve the issue of defender still damaging to their own detriment a forward claim outside their base on an enemy siege claim?
Kaios

Postby Potjeh » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:13 am

Users find a solution unintuitive, declare solution fine and blame users for being dumb. Classy. Is being user-hostile an actual design goal?

http://bokardo.com/principles-of-user-interface-design/
Last edited by Potjeh on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby bmjclark » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:14 am

"Im going to get rid of claim shields because by my words "They're autistic" then put the exact same system back in and act like it's different" -jorb 2019
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Zepar72 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:14 am

From the outside, this thread looks like a huge discussion (14 pages). After going through all of that, it's 3 ppl repeatedly crying "no, don't wanna", and Jobtar trying to calm them down.
If you went the easy (wooden) way, don't cry that suddenly the harder (brick) way got better. It was obvious, you were stupid and you could at least take that hit like a men (or w.e you identify as).
You can't upgrade stone mansion into stone tower, why would you be able to upgrade any other building? Imo this is another change we should accept and try to deal with it, as this game is living and evolving. Don't try to kill it, pls.
Zepar72

Postby loftar » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:15 am

Dakkan wrote:
jorb wrote:The attacked object can be covered by two claims, a village and/or a private claim.

I'm dumb too apparently.

claims.png
claims.png (757 Bytes) Viewed 222 times

Red: Village claim
Blue: Private claim
Cross: Point of attack
Black: Imaginary 100x100 area around point of attack (not to scale)
Shaded: Resultant siege claim
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas