Put carts onto the character position when teleporting

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Put carts onto the character position when teleporting

Postby Granger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:39 am

LostJustice wrote:
Granger wrote:
Kaios wrote:Yes my hearthfire isn't in a corner but it is in between two other hearthfires so when I hearth back with a cart sometimes it already does land on my position the same way as it would as suggested in this thread but it doesn't pull off easily in every direction it just gets stuck there and usually only pulls off from one very awkward direction after several attempts to move it.

That's because it isn't perfectly centered on the fire but slightly offset.

Doesn’t matter if it perfectly centered or not. It like when you exit a minehole and you are given a direction to slide off. And if it into the wall when the cart is on top of you then your shit out of luck. Your idea is the equivalent of surrounding a minehole with closed gates and trying to walk off it.

Actually perfectly centered of not matters, a character being perfectly centered on a hitbox can move out in any direction.

You should try it with a minehole surrounded by gates as you suggested, this setup puts the character on the exact position of the minehole (as long as minehole and the walls are placed on the default grid) and allows to move out of the mineholes hitbox in any direction. But when the character is even a little bit off (like by moving a step out of the center) the minehole will block movement into the direction of its center.

Thus this suggestion to put the cart onto the character position to allow the character to move out of it in any direction.
For the teleport to HF case it would allow the player to move out of the cart and the cart to follow you out of the fire.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby LostJustice » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 pm

No, now you are just trying to pull logic from your ass. I do in fact go through a minehole like this every day and no it does not work as you keep forcefully saying it does.
LostJustice

Postby Granger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 pm

LostJustice wrote:No, now you are just trying to pull logic from your ass. I do in fact go through a minehole like this every day and no it does not work as you keep forcefully saying it does.

You must be doing it wrong.

minehole_any_direction.png
minehole_any_direction.png (99.84 KiB) Viewed 545 times
Lets me leave the minehole in any direction without any blocking or sliding as the character gets placed on the center of it.

Problem with a cart is that it'll be placed randomly on the outside of the gates, run toward the character and detach when colloding with the minehole - that's why I want it always to be placed ontop of the character, so it isn't in the way.
Granger

Postby Kaios » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Doing your mineholes like that with visitor gates doesn’t make much sense to me because you are just gonna be trapped in one spot or prevented from going through it if you happen to take aggro above or below.

Hitbox for the minehole is much bigger though so you slide off of there fairly easily and cannot move back on that position at all. Hearthfires have a much smaller hitbox and tend to be placed near other hearthfires and I’m not certain just having it land directly on the player position is going to fix much to account for all the various places that players put their hf.
Kaios

Postby Granger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Kaios wrote:Doing your mineholes like that with visitor gates doesn’t make much sense to me because you are just gonna be trapped in one spot or prevented from going through it if you happen to take aggro above or below.
There's stuff that you can't see to deal with that scenario.

Hitbox for the minehole is much bigger though so you slide off of there fairly easily and cannot move back on that position at all.
As with everything where something (character, cart, whatever) ends up inside another hitbox: You can move away from the center of the other hitbox but not toward it, it's irrelevant how big that hitbox is.

Hearthfires ... tend to be placed near other hearthfires
Why would someone want to pack them so dense that having a cart in tow very likely gets it stuck on the other fires?

and I’m not certain just having it land directly on the player position is going to fix much to account for all the various places that players put their hf.
At least the character would be able to walk out of the cart in any direction he wants and pull it after himself out of the fire (in the direction he's moving), as both the player to the cart and the cart to the fire would behave like a player centered on a minehole: not being blocked in any direction (for the initial movement away from the center of the other object).

And in case he paints himself into a corner: adventure->destroy the cart, learn from it and move the HF to a not braindead location.
Granger

Postby Kaios » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 pm

I don’t think the hitbox size is irrelevant, bigger hitbox like on minehole means there is less opportunity for an object or player moving off of that position to get caught on nearby hitboxes. It is not the same for something like a hearthfire because whether it’s other hearthfires or other objects nearby, they still tend to placed in cluttered locations. Moving a cart off hearthfire it can catch on to other things nearby, moving a cart off of the middle of the minehole it normally cannot.
Kaios

Postby LostJustice » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Kaios wrote:I don’t think the hitbox size is irrelevant, bigger hitbox like on minehole means there is less opportunity for an object or player moving off of that position to get caught on nearby hitboxes. It is not the same for something like a hearthfire because whether it’s other hearthfires or other objects nearby, they still tend to placed in cluttered locations. Moving a cart off hearthfire it can catch on to other things nearby, moving a cart off of the middle of the minehole it normally cannot.

Thanks that also explains what I was saying. Also, hit box size does matter. Go inside the hit box of a great hall (you can do it if you try hard enough) and you can walk around inside of this hit box unless Loftar patched that by now.

And what if I am on a horse? Then my hitbox is that + a horse and asking what you are doing Granger would literally get me stuck since the horse hitbox, the cart hitbox, and my hit box would all collide. This is just honestly a dumb idea. You keep trying to justify it but it more work than it is worth to implement and doesn’t do anything but cause grief for people who actually play the game.
LostJustice

Postby Granger » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:20 pm

I don't share your opinion that loftar is an incompetent programmer.
Granger

Postby LostJustice » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:22 pm

Granger wrote:I don't share your opinion that loftar is an incompetent programmer.

Now you are just miss quoting me and diverging from the topic. I think YOUR (emphasis on Granger specifically in case you need a definition of that too) idea is bad. As for Loftar, I don't always agree with his methodology on some things but to be able to create a game as well as this (considering their dev team and size and to be able to make it work as it currently is) I think it is pretty good and well done.
LostJustice

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas