Put carts onto the character position when teleporting

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Put carts onto the character position when teleporting

Postby Granger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:11 am

Please place carts onto the character position whenever the character teleports (hearthing, going through a door, stairs, cave, minehole, ...) so the character can walk out of it without getting blocked by the cart.

Similar please for leashed animals, for these the addition of a 10 second timer where they're astounded by the new surroundings and being busy looking around (so they won't move unless being pulled by the leash) would be helpful.

Yes, it might look a bit strange - but stuff getting in the way by random (or worse, going up a minehole that is walled on the upper level with a cart that then spawns on the outside of that wall, runs toward the character, stops at the obstacle and getting detached on the other side of the wall) is unfun.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Re: Put carts onto the character position when teleporting

Postby Hasta » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:04 pm

Literally a moment ago I got myself stuck in a 1-tile mine deadend while pulling a cart, so teleporting is just a part of a problem. Can't we get an option to Push a cart (at a very low speed, like a double-loaded carried boat or something) when a character moves towards the cart? You got that "get glued to a cliffside" mechanic anyays, make it useful and let us have "get glued to a cart and push it out of the way"...
Hasta

Postby Kaios » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:59 pm

I would actually prefer that the opposite happens and the cart teleports back with you well clear of the hearthfire, it annoys me more when it lands on top of the hf and I'm prevented from pulling the cart away in any direction except for one or sometimes I've even had to hearth again while already on top of my hearthfire just to get the cart to move off of my position.

Pushing would be nice though.
Kaios

Postby Granger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Kaios wrote:I would actually prefer that the opposite happens and the cart teleports back with you well clear of the hearthfire, it annoys me more when it lands on top of the hf and I'm prevented from pulling the cart away in any direction except for one or sometimes I've even had to hearth again while already on top of my hearthfire just to get the cart to move off of my position.

That's the thing with the cart, in case it would be put into the character position you could pull it away in any direction you like - since it only blocks when you pull it closer to the fire... Hence the suggestion.
Granger

Postby LostJustice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:20 pm

Granger wrote:
Kaios wrote:I would actually prefer that the opposite happens and the cart teleports back with you well clear of the hearthfire, it annoys me more when it lands on top of the hf and I'm prevented from pulling the cart away in any direction except for one or sometimes I've even had to hearth again while already on top of my hearthfire just to get the cart to move off of my position.

That's the thing with the cart, in case it would be put into the character position you could pull it away in any direction you like - since it only blocks when you pull it closer to the fire... Hence the suggestion.

Depends where you place your Hearth Fire, hence his suggestion.
LostJustice

Postby Granger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:37 pm

His problem is that the cart currently isn't placed directly onto the fire (as it would with my suggestion), thus is blocks (which it wouldn't with mine).
Granger

Postby LostJustice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Granger wrote:His problem is that the cart currently isn't placed directly onto the fire (as it would with my suggestion), thus is blocks (which it wouldn't with mine).

Except if you have your hearth fire in a corner or in between cupboards then you get trapped when the cart lands on top of you not when it lands near you. You can't always walked off if it on top of you. Only when you can slide off in the proper direction.
LostJustice

Postby Kaios » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 am

LostJustice wrote:Except if you have your hearth fire in a corner or in between cupboards then you get trapped when the cart lands on top of you not when it lands near you. You can't always walked off if it on top of you. Only when you can slide off in the proper direction.

Yes my hearthfire isn't in a corner but it is in between two other hearthfires so when I hearth back with a cart sometimes it already does land on my position the same way as it would as suggested in this thread but it doesn't pull off easily in every direction it just gets stuck there and usually only pulls off from one very awkward direction after several attempts to move it.
Kaios

Postby Granger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:21 am

Kaios wrote:Yes my hearthfire isn't in a corner but it is in between two other hearthfires so when I hearth back with a cart sometimes it already does land on my position the same way as it would as suggested in this thread but it doesn't pull off easily in every direction it just gets stuck there and usually only pulls off from one very awkward direction after several attempts to move it.

That's because it isn't perfectly centered on the fire but slightly offset.
Granger

Postby LostJustice » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am

Granger wrote:
Kaios wrote:Yes my hearthfire isn't in a corner but it is in between two other hearthfires so when I hearth back with a cart sometimes it already does land on my position the same way as it would as suggested in this thread but it doesn't pull off easily in every direction it just gets stuck there and usually only pulls off from one very awkward direction after several attempts to move it.

That's because it isn't perfectly centered on the fire but slightly offset.

Doesn’t matter if it perfectly centered or not. It like when you exit a minehole and you are given a direction to slide off. And if it into the wall when the cart is on top of you then your shit out of luck. Your idea is the equivalent of surrounding a minehole with closed gates and trying to walk off it.
LostJustice

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas