Yet another hunting critique

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Yet another hunting critique

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Well, I hope that this is OK; it has 3 parts but it is all very closely related so I won't split it up unless I'm told otherwise.

1) The simplest part: for the love of god why do arrows damage animal quality? It means everyone is doing retarded dancing around with boats and swords instead of using bows. Animal q is already hardcapped by survival, I think thats probably enough... I'm 100% sure that this has been posted before, but I think it needs repeating until it is changed :). Archery should, I think, be the normal way to hunt.

2) Hunting used to be reasonably rewarding when you could sell stuff like DDD and WWW. With the new food system (which I won't complain about, since I'm not an expert player in that regard), its basically impossible to sell any hunting products. I think that, similarly to the teddies, there need to be some crafted curios that require hunted components, and that are scaled appropriately so that they can compete with the "indoor"/agrarian crafted curios. This would create demand for hunting, and also improve the economy by providing another thing for newbs like me to provide more developed players. I'm not going to make specific suggestions, since I have no idea about the details of balancing this.

3) Hunting mechanically has been essentially the same the whole time I've been playing, and could really be reworked to be more interesting. For example, we really need to be able to use those bloodstains to track our prey; the system could be the same as criminal tracking, with you picking up scents from the bloodstains, and using them in conjunction with prc*exp. One could even have random animal scents found in the wilderness lead you to transient animal "dens", a patch of (to the naked eye) normal terrain, where if you right-click an animal scent onto it from within sight distance, spawns an animal of the correct type. This would largely replace the current system where anyone can spot all animals all the time. Also, it might be nice if stealth played into hunting, so that if you shoot an arrow into (or just approach) a creature with some "stealth toggle" engaged, it has a chance to not detect you (it may still panic, of course).
_Gunnar

Re: Yet another hunting critique

Postby loskierek » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:17 pm

+ everyone cheeses animals anyway with peace so why not just make them fight till the death?
loskierek

Postby Uriel » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 pm

+ on 1 and 2.
As for 3... if there was something else in it... like better q animals in dens, new type of existing one, then hell yes. And also if tracking would be a thing, not inluding normal spawn of animals (mini dungeons?)
Uriel

Postby SarcasticSoul » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 am

Marksmanship is largely useless currently because of the damage to quality issue. I get that putting holes in the hide isn't desirable, but frankly I would imagine that carving it up with a sword or axe would do the same thing. I don't feel much like a hunter going out into the woods to beat animals to death with my fists, I feel like a psychopath.
We are the Men Who Stare At Cone Cows. Praise Be Unto the Cone Cow.
SarcasticSoul

Postby Leksar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 am

let's just make animals run, if they can't reach the player and see, what this leads to
Leksar

Postby Kaios » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Leksar wrote:let's just make animals run, if they can't reach the player and see, what this leads to

If you really want something like that then it’s gonna require a major overhaul to how hunting is performed especially in the early game when boat hunting is most prevalent
Kaios

Postby Leksar » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:41 am

Kaios wrote:
Leksar wrote:let's just make animals run, if they can't reach the player and see, what this leads to

If you really want something like that then it’s gonna require a major overhaul to how hunting is performed especially in the early game when boat hunting is most prevalent

I don't like the current state, where everyone uses exploits to kill animals and thus we could say that hunting somehow works, so the devs doesn't try to change it. I'd rather look how it would be without boat/cliff/house/cave/reaggro exploiting. In any case, we either get a new experience or a crying forum crowd, which will force the devs to redo the hunt.
Leksar

Postby IngloriouslyBad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:49 am

While I agree, cheesing shouldn't be a thing; it would be nigh impossible to kill certain things like moose/bear without a decent horse. And to get that horse, you'd have to tame it. And good luck with that without cheesing it. Of course this is all early world, weeks 1-3 we're talking.

I had someone show me how they hunt with a bow, and it took him 20 minutes to kill a bear that came out Q27. Granted, his bow was like Q23 and probably some shit arrows as well. His horse was also KO'd and he took like 80+HHP damage. I was told not to jump in, but I cringed the entire time & was grinding my teeth at how painful this looked, all to use a bow and stick to his own principles... uuurrghhh

Bows & MC/UA all need some rework. Combat just sucks in this game. PVE is pretty much all I've done save a few times I had to defend myself, but I really do feel for yall who do fight in PVP. Shit's bad. And the GOD DAMN LAG don't help either.
IngloriouslyBad

Postby Leksar » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:39 am

IngloriouslyBad wrote:it would be nigh impossible to kill certain things like moose/bear without a decent horse. And to get that horse, you'd have to tame it. And good luck with that without cheesing it. Of course this is all early world, weeks 1-3 we're talking.

I don't see why this is bad or at least worse, than killing such strong animals on first days of world. You still have rabbits and chickens as leather/bones sources.

IngloriouslyBad wrote:I had someone show me how they hunt with a bow, and it took him 20 minutes to kill a bear that came out Q27. Granted, his bow was like Q23 and probably some shit arrows as well. His horse was also KO'd and he took like 80+HHP damage.

sounds pretty legit as for me. I mean, we are talking about a BEAR, right?
Leksar

Return to Critique & Ideas