Hell/Apocalypse Terrain

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Hell/Apocalypse Terrain

Postby NeoBasilisk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:16 pm

This idea is inspired by my favorite old mod of Civilization 4 called Fall From Heaven 2. In that mod, there was the concept of Hell Terrain, which, under certain circumstances, could slowly spread across the map and transform all of the standard terrain types into corrupted/hellish versions. The change was both cosmetic and functional because it looked like a hellscape, and also changed how some of the terrain bonuses and resources functioned. There were also ways to purify the terrain and contain the corruption, but that might not be used here.

Examples of how the mod handled it (simply ideas as opposed to suggestions):
Plains/grasslands were converted to darkened/twisted versions
All forests caught on fire and burned down (maybe not feasible here)
Desert sands became hot and even began burning (somehow)
Other ideas not present in the mod could be something like the oceans/water becoming black like tar (might look dumb)

Rather than making something like this a mechanic throughout the lifespan of the world, I thought it could be fun to activate some kind of "event" for the last couple weeks of a world before a reset where "hell terrain" originates at one or more random points in the world, and then it would spread rapidly from that point to cover the entire world over the next days/weeks or however long it was balanced to take. Since it would be an apocalyptic event, maybe it would also allow demonic beasts to spawn within the terrain that could even bash brick walls. Maybe there could be a way to keep the terrain from spreading by constructing some kind of very expensive "shield," but that might be against the spirit of the event, since it is the apocalypse. It just seems like it could be a fun end to the world rather than the whimper that it seems like at times.
NeoBasilisk

Re: Hell/Apocalypse Terrain

Postby NeoBasilisk » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:53 pm

Well I thought it could be a fun idea! It would seem that no one hates or loves the idea, and the response is mostly meh. I do acknowledge that this would be a lot of work for an event that would only be triggered once per world. Maybe the scale could be lessened, and something like this could function as a more frequent PVE or PVP event where some structure or "boss" needs to be destroyed to stop the spread of hell terrain, and then it would gradually revert to its original type.
NeoBasilisk

Postby Kaios » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:07 am

I don't think anyone would hate this idea, I think it's cool.

Anything to make the end of a world more interesting would be nice as normally what occurs is players go out looking for a fight anyways until they eventually die. Something to extend that process a bit longer would certainly help ease the time spent waiting between the end of a world and the beginning of a new one.
Kaios

Postby jock » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:10 am

so the corruption/crimson from terraria?
jock

Postby NeoBasilisk » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:14 am

jock wrote:so the corruption/crimson from terraria?

That would be a fair comparison as well.
NeoBasilisk

Postby Granger » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Could be fun, but for it to be an end-of-the-world thing (which, last time I checked was aimed for to not be needed in the long run) it wouldn't make sense to throw developer time on it.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Return to Critique & Ideas