RE: Considering removing hunger

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: RE: Considering removing hunger

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:40 am

Pills wrote:But it does stop people eating 15 cupboards of cheese/pies/whatever because they have a high charisma stat alt.

so does the bonfire/table nerf haha
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Granger » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:42 am

loftar wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:what are you 50 attributes? once hunger gets removed to stay REMOTELY competitive youll have to eat every 1 hour : ) no thanks.

That's not true, though.

You're right, it's like eat every four hours to get the most out of the available food as removing hunger in the way the OP suggests would likely return the game quite a bit toward being production limited (while keeping the current eat six meals a day from satiations) when it comes to eating, as it would be more beneficial to stuff yourself with anything not satiated whenever one eats and running out of unsatiated preferred foods.

I'm unsure if that's the solution to the problems the game has regarding progression though as I'm still thinking that the main cause for most of them is that the numbers in the character sheet are the cumulation of what went through the characters head (in both the LP and FEP route) over his whole lifetime. Changing that toward being a function of the more recent activities would remove or lessen many problems by making the game prefer the characters that constantly ground 24/7 since minute one of a world less.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Tamalak » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:04 am

Just:

1. Fix questing so that it doesn't nuke the hunger mechanic from orbit

2. Implement a method of eating that gives you the energy but no hunger or FEPS. Honestly this might not even be necessary once #1 is fixed and it's no longer advantageous to be perma-ravenous. And labor alts aren't game breaking anyway, but the quest-enemas are game breaking.

Keep hunger and satiations as they are otherwise, I think they're both essential mechanics. Short term and long term limitations.
Tamalak

Postby loskierek » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 am

so? tbh it hurts people who dont have alt for everything the most, because the energy lose is far greather than what best foods from ALL categories can offer you. You are bound to lose hunger for foods on which you have satiations on already because you need it for other activities. Satiations right now are really bad and if you have a bad stream you might go offline after 1h of playing cause you hit 50% satiation on everything....
loskierek

Postby jock » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:05 am

Hunger ia fine. Sataiation need to be fixed/progressive amounts rather than random low for simple foods.

Realisticly it really only needs a balance pass.
jock

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:21 am

wonder-ass wrote:
loftar wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:what are you 50 attributes? once hunger gets removed to stay REMOTELY competitive youll have to eat every 1 hour : ) no thanks.

That's not true, though.

how is it not true? youll have to eat everytime satiation gets reset if you miss it youre wasting time and losing in the stat race.

From what I've heard from a few different people, they already do this and just stay in whatever ranges they stay in on the hunger meter. If they get salt or good quest rewards (ie empty stomach), then it's a bit more of a boost for at least a few food items. I guess if you're not doing that already, you're probably not keeping up in the stat race.... but then again, the whole hunger things has been about quality vs quantity. If you can't be on (or source enough food) to consume mass quantities, then you have to grind for the quality of the 3x bonus. That's pretty much where it's been at since.... 2016? Whenever the current hunger system bonuses were introduced.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ZantetsukenX » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:03 am

I still say keep hunger as is but remove any method of effecting it other than real time passing. Salt and quests affecting hunger turned a mechanic meant to benefit people who can't play as often into a mechanic that is instead taken advantage of by all the high end players. Literally the exact opposite of it's point. Instead turn salt into a seasoning like pepper. Or make it so it can be distilled from salt water and turn it into a material to make new/different foods.
ZantetsukenX

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:15 am

_Gunnar wrote:Why not merge satiations and hunger and have satiations start from 300% and go down deterministically according to food eaten? And go back up more slowly than they do now (and probably even more slowly than hunger does now). That way miners won't be fucked since they can just eat creepy crawlies etc, and people don't have to eat every few hours to keep up. Salt and quests could apply to random (or nonrandom) satiations, rather than globally to hunger.
_Gunnar

Postby Avu » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:27 am

I have the best system but it's either too complicated for people to understand or more likely people don't care since it's not flashy enough...

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65387
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Yeah, I think thats similar but marginally better than my idea (I like the fact that in your plan, you don't suffer any consequences until you empty the pool -- if I'm understanding it correctly).
_Gunnar

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas