Make mystic experience event quests be viable.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Make mystic experience event quests be viable.

Postby Pills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:00 pm

As title suggests, the experience event quests should be given if you can actually trigger the experience event.

Getting given a quest that is "Experience X" that you already had the event for a few days prior and need to wait upwards of 2 weeks to get is just stupid and most people just abandon those quests.
Instead of them being shit and time gated have them actually attainable at that time and people wouldn't just abandon them.

I understand quests are supposed to be somewhat difficult, however experience events are not difficult to achieve, you are just gated by time. This is not a difficulty but just bad design overall. Time gating is not the same thing as actual difficulty.
Pills

Re: Make mystic experience event quests be viable.

Postby jorb » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:17 pm

They are. No they should not be trivial to trigger.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Kirche » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Pills wrote:Time gating is not the same thing as actual difficulty.

I disagree with this, the timegates are what make it a difficult credo to pursue, you are given an option to abandon quests if you are given an undesirable one, use it.
Kirche

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:02 pm

I've been needing to sense a beast for a week. Maybe I would get it if I didn't log in for a few days? How many animals do I need to see to sense them? Should I not murder them? Will that help? This is just another case where credo quest seem like they should have an either or option. Experience X event OR do some other thing.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Pills » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:44 am

jorb wrote:They are. No they should not be trivial to trigger.

They shouldn't be trivial, but they should at least be viable.

Waiting 1week+ to be able to complete a quest is not viable, nor is it even remotely good design. This is a false difficulty and should either be changed or just removed from the game. It takes zero skill to just not play the game for a few days to let a timer reset, as such there is zero *real* difficulty to it, its just time gating and time gating is just bad.

It wouldn't be too bad if it was atleast within the next 24 hours and never more than that if you are so horrendously married to time gating and having fake difficulties in this game but having it anything more than that is just a poor excuse for bad design.

Kirche wrote:
Pills wrote:Time gating is not the same thing as actual difficulty.

I disagree with this, the timegates are what make it a difficult credo to pursue, you are given an option to abandon quests if you are given an undesirable one, use it.

Time gating has literally never been accepted as a good design choice by any respected games player base.
see any of these examples.
And that was off a quick google.

Time gating is NOT a good design mechanic, and it never has been, nor will it ever be, because it is, at its core, fucking terrible. I mean they literally teach that in games design courses that its a bad design choice. So why the fuck do developers keep insisting its not? Money. One and only reason, by time-gating players is to encourage them to keep logging in longer and to encourage them to spend more on shit like subscriptions.

Fierce_Deity wrote:I've been needing to sense a beast for a week. Maybe I would get it if I didn't log in for a few days? How many animals do I need to see to sense them? Should I not murder them? Will that help? This is just another case where credo quest seem like they should have an either or option. Experience X event OR do some other thing.

This is exactly my point. it is simply NOT difficult to go and see something once per day to see if a timer has reset yet. Time gating has no place in any self-respected video game. And the devs either A: Know this and are just greedy and will keep enforcing time gating as a method to get people to keep logging in each month in hope of them buying another subscription. or B: are just stubborn and refuse to accept the fact they have no idea about basic game design philosophies.

Like pretty much everything in this game that is universally hated by its player base that the devs think everyone is just wrong about and they are correct, devs do not play their game, do not understand how frustrating some of its mechanics are, and as such, are too fucking blind to how bad some things are that they think are just perfect.
Pills

Postby SaltyCrate » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:48 am

Pills wrote:They shouldn't be trivial, but they should at least be viable.

Every task of "experience some event" variety can be completed in about 1-2 hours of active effort. They are not timegates if you know what you are doing.
SaltyCrate

Postby Pills » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:52 am

SaltyCrate wrote:

Every task of "experience some event" variety can be completed in about 1-2 hours of active effort. They are not timegates if you know what you are doing.

That is simply not true. Certain events have like 2 week timers on them, like pretty much all of the "Experience *NATURAL RESOURCE* event."
Pills

Postby SaltyCrate » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:53 am

Pills wrote:
SaltyCrate wrote:

That is simply not true. Certain events have like 2 week timers on them, like pretty much all of the "Experience *NATURAL RESOURCE* event."

It is true. Consider that you just may not be aware of ways to reduce this timer.
SaltyCrate

Postby Pills » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:57 am

SaltyCrate wrote:It is true. Consider that you just may not be aware of ways to reduce this timer.

Then feel free to expand instead of claiming there are ways to do this and not saying how? Wiki says literally nothing other than "may only activate every few days.".

So either their is some mechanic that really needs to be publicly known and the devs really should have made a better effort to ensure players know it existed or there is a bug you are abusing.

And if what you're referring to is "just do loads of events and eventually you'll get it like drinking water and treading grass etc" that does nothing in relation to timers for natural resources.
Pills

Postby SaltyCrate » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 am

Pills wrote:
SaltyCrate wrote:It is true. Consider that you just may not be aware of ways to reduce this timer.

Then feel free to expand instead of claiming there are ways to do this and not saying how? Wiki says literally nothing other than "may only activate every few days.".

This is not "How do I" section. Not that I have any strong desire to be your personal guide anyway. Wiki is not an indication of anything tbh.

Pills wrote:So either their is some mechanic that really needs to be publicly known and the devs really should have made a better effort to ensure players know it existed or there is a bug you are abusing.

No, it is not "needed". As was repeatedly stated by devs this mechanics are intenionally obscure. That does not mean that it is impossible to figure something out about them. Feel free to do it at your own discretion.

Pills wrote:And if what you're referring to is "just do loads of events and eventually you'll get it like drinking water and treading grass etc" that does nothing in relation to timers for natural resources.

That is not what I am referring to.

Anyway my point there is not to teach you how these quests are viable, but to point out that your critique is undermined by the lack of sufficient knowledge on the topic critiqued. As the sort of proof of that consider Jorb's answer.
SaltyCrate

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas