No-till farming, and rural affairs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

No-till farming, and rural affairs

Postby Ferinex » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:51 am

Suggestion: no-till sowing mechanic, with greater seed requirements or other balances.

Topic of discussion: There is room for depth in the farming mechanics. Soil quality should degrade over time when tilling is employed, and when the same crops are grown in the same location. Soil fertility should be variable and mutable by player actions. Yield per tile should be variable, and serve as a second dimension alongside crop quality. These are the fun parts of farming! Nitrogen! Cover crops! Soil health!

as it currently stands, RIP hearthlands topsoil :cry:
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Re: No-till farming, and rural affairs

Postby jorb » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:41 am

Tempted to agree! My man Gabe Brown has the story.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby julian12it » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 am

We don't need realism in Haven. This game is already cancerous enough in the aspects of consistent time wasting mechanics such as having to walk every where you go. Don't want another Salem 2.0 farming system implemented into Haven, reasons why didn't stay playing Salem. Farming is just fine.
julian12it

Postby JeanTheDigger » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:08 am

julian12it wrote:We don't need realism in Haven. This game is already cancerous enough in the aspects of consistent time wasting mechanics such as having to walk every where you go. Don't want another Salem 2.0 farming system implemented into Haven, reasons why didn't stay playing Salem. Farming is just fine.

>Doesn't like games where you have to walk around
>Plays HnH
JeanTheDigger

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:34 pm

Definitely want to see grass regrow even on fields that have been bordered by stone. Nitrogen and the like is a definite bonus, and manure from the farm animals would be optimal as a source. Apatite is also a fine source of fertilizer. Crop rotation? Yes please!
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby shubla » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:58 pm

Farming is not tedious enough! Adding at least crop rotation, weeds and fertilization are a good start to making it more fun!!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby terechgracz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:15 pm

It at least should have beatifull UI and visual cues so you're actually satisfied and proud when you grow your crops on best possible soil. Growing on bad soil should give bland ill looking crops. If not that would be another unfun thing, which would be seen only as a bummer.
terechgracz

Postby Alitis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Go for realism ! Irrigation, fertilization, etc!
Alitis

Postby stya » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Ok but only if we can make fertilizer from ores, insects should eat your crops, birds too, we need to fence off birds and kill insects via convoluted strategies.

And we need more pain, don't implement just a bit of tedium, go full cancer on us.

Also sacrificing your farmer and letting his corpse rot would help with fertilization, we could make alt farms great again!
stya

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Not sure if anyone here is being serious or sarcastic...

Either way, if anyone is being sarcastic, don't be surprised when this shows up in game and half the players farmers rage quit. I loved the "idea" of crop rotation in Salem, but the reality was... it was a mess. Some concepts just need to be left as an abstraction. A game from the 90s, "Lords of the Realm" left this concept as "fallow fields" and gave a yield boost to other crops in a county when a portion of the fields were left fallow.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas