A knarr change for the better?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: A knarr change for the better?

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Feels like an easy solution of just having knarr speed fixed in rivers and lakes is being overlooked here. Why would a ship with sails be faster than one or another in a river anyways. You lot are over complicating the hell out of this.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Granger » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Mario_Demorez wrote:New players who join the game will never catch up with old players and groups who started months earlier, nor should they.

Emphasis mine.

I think that stance, and the mechanics that implement it, is one of the needless problems that this game suffers from.

Simply because 'never able to catch up' mechanics are incompatible with a longer world duration - at least for the ones that are not on the top, which is most of them.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Mario_Demorez » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:32 pm

Why should someone who has been playing for a week be able to catch up to people who’ve been playing months? There is a mechanic in the game that makes this possible, it’s called sqrt() formula that jorb and loftar love. Quality rise falls off at high numbers or the worth of the higher quality stuff isn’t as important.
Mario_Demorez

Postby Kaios » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:23 pm

Headchef wrote:Kaios by the time you have your "hq tar" it will not be deemed high anymore so your reasoning for not making it is quite pointless.

But yeah this is great idea if you want to take away things that need to be continually renewed, just make one and be done with it.

Turns out you were right except I don't need to have very high quality tar at all when I can just use the knarr buff of one of the multiple realms that have it to build a speed capped knarr with mediocre materials at which point there is no longer a reason to make a new one unless it is stolen or destroyed. So what's the reason to upgrade after that?
Kaios

Postby stickman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:10 pm

I feel like boat combat should not even be a thing... multiple people can all attack a single point, not realistic

dugout... you can attack from within a dugout...
rowboat... the rower cannot attack, only passengers can attack
knarr... due to being so high off the water... no occupants can attack.

i think with knarr vs knarr combat should players should have to use grapping hooks and ropes and then have to board/attack with rowboats/dugouts.... grappling would not be possible on high seas.

grappling 2 knaars together would prevent either from moving for a period of time... the person fleeing in the knarr could then get into his own rowboat and abandon the knarr or try to remove the grapple/ropes
stickman

Postby pppp » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Knarr combat could be implemented like combat in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, that is by creating a 'dungeon' where two teams fight in boat deck scenery.
pppp

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:06 pm

speed of knarr should be the same with any quality having low q knarr in the ocean is LITERALLY death sentence you should NEVER sail in the ocean on a rage character with a shitty knarr.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby jorb » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 am

I see good arguments on both sides. Not sure what would be better.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas