A knarr change for the better?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

A knarr change for the better?

Postby Mario_Demorez » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:27 am

Variable speeds for knarrs based on quality is toxic for spruce caps of all kinds. It can be a death trap to be found in a rowboat or low quality knarr. If the spruce cap doesn’t know to drop his keys into the water and get to shore then the knarr will be stolen. All I see the variable speed based on quality doing is that any developed village will keep other players from leaving their walls and adventuring on the water.

I recommend to change or remove the quality effecting speed. Have all knarrs have the same speed. The quality of knarrs could decrease the amount of damage it takes from deep ocean or whales.

Another idea- could make the materials used on knarr effect the attributes of the knarr. Higher tier metal used to build it could decrease the damage the knarr takes from deep ocean and even whales. The type of clothe used could effect speed but might lead to the same problem. Linen/hemp would be lowest tier. Wool would be mid tier. And silk would be top tier.
Mario_Demorez

Re: A knarr change for the better?

Postby Fierce_Deity » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:56 am

Your idea is alright, but I'll throw out another possible solution.

Knarr speed in rivers and lakes is a constant, knarr speed in oceans is variable based on quality.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Headchef » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:10 am

Yes to ingredient effect on damage to knarr, no to changing speed mechanics.
Headchef

Postby bmjclark » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:44 am

I agree the speed mechanic is dumb. Makes sailing in one an absolute death sentence if you're not bleeding edge in quality
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Kaios » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 am

As much as I want to make a high quality knarr like everyone else and get it super speedy I feel that putting these quality requirements on large constructions such as these makes it a worse mechanic for everyone. I would have built a personal knarr by now if I weren’t worried about the quality and waiting a year to collect all the high q tar for it.

Also, try making a suggestion to add a speed buff to something like a realm buff that everyone would be able to take advantage of and watch pvp players cry about how speed buff implementations should never occur and then watch those same players cry again when you suggest a speed buff advantage to be removed when they know it’s something they take advantage of more easily and better than other factions. Even worse, a large realm can reduce their knarr building bonus after they have used it so no one else has the chance to do so.

Yes, remove the annoying speed advantage if these other issues won’t be resolved.
Kaios

Postby Headchef » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Kaios by the time you have your "hq tar" it will not be deemed high anymore so your reasoning for not making it is quite pointless.

But yeah this is great idea if you want to take away things that need to be continually renewed, just make one and be done with it.

Also many of you seem to be under the illusion that equal speed boat or whatever does anything, because in reality people suck at clicking and you can catch up with them if you know how to do it. Aside of that their nervousness probably causes more mistakes.
Headchef

Postby Kaios » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Headchef wrote:Kaios by the time you have your "hq tar" it will not be deemed high anymore so your reasoning for not making it is quite pointless.

That's exactly my point, there shouldn't be this pressure in the first place to create it as high quality as possible because it effects something as important as SPEED. The one determining factor in any player's survival in a fight can really be boiled down to who is faster than who and this is a pretty obvious one.

Also many of you seem to be under the illusion that equal speed boat or whatever does anything, because in reality people suck at clicking and you can catch up with them if you know how to do it. Aside of that their nervousness probably causes more mistakes.

That's true but that is something that can be learned, I even see veteran fighters spam clicking movements when they are under pressure. Can you "learn" to be faster in a knarr, no, you build a fast knarr because you have high quality things and normally the bigger faction will have the better quality and thus the faster thing.
Kaios

Postby Headchef » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Which is good because it creates the incentive to even care about these materials and use them in big amount at high qualities?

Sure they have use in other places but knarr is quite a big construction so doing this well should have it's advantages.

But don't worry I suspect some gay boat being released that can travel ocean and is faster than knarr so...
Headchef

Postby Kaios » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Headchef wrote:Which is good because it creates the incentive to even care about these materials and use them in big amount at high qualities?

Yeah and I agree that's important but what about the hermit dude that spent a month or longer gathering up the materials to finally build his knarr which probably ends up at a crappy q60 or worse but still they are pleased with it until Big Faction Bob appears in his q300 knarr, catches hermit in 10 seconds, slays him, and steals the slave key leaving his friend to sail this poor hermit's knarr to some other location. Wow such incentive.
Kaios

Postby Fostik » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:00 pm

Would be better if knarr will have same speed at any q, but you will be able to set some upgrades for it, that allows you seal oceans, or swim faster.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas