A knarr change for the better?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: A knarr change for the better?

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:52 pm

And here I was thinking that this needed to be expanded to include Rowboats, rather than reduced to eliminate it from Knarr's.

jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Kaios » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:45 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:And here I was thinking that this needed to be expanded to include Rowboats, rather than reduced to eliminate it from Knarr's.

A straight-up speed buff related to quality isn't very interesting though, I like the sound of this:

Fostik wrote:Would be better if knarr will have same speed at any q, but you will be able to set some upgrades for it, that allows you seal oceans, or swim faster.

Various enhancements/upgrades to be attached to knarrs or other boats and ships could be interesting, for example you give your knarr a larger cargo or a stronger hull but sacrifice some speed in exchange for those upgrades. Even something like giving ships different turning capabilities which can improved with upgrades.
Kaios

Postby pawnchito » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:09 am

Kaios wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
Various enhancements/upgrades to be attached to knarrs or other boats and ships could be interesting, for example you give your knarr a larger cargo or a stronger hull but sacrifice some speed in exchange for those upgrades. Even something like giving ships different turning capabilities which can improved with upgrades.

This sounds pretty cool actually. Could make boating way neat. Ships for hunting whales and hauling stuff.
pawnchito

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:39 am

+1 also its not hard to not get caught up to lmao just shift click any direction good luck catching up xd
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby vnsmirnov » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:18 am

It is advisable to add the wind direction and the load factor of Knarr. The speed is higher if rowing with 2+ players. But they can not attack.
vnsmirnov

Postby bmjclark » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:34 am

Headchef wrote:Also many of you seem to be under the illusion that equal speed boat or whatever does anything, because in reality people suck at clicking and you can catch up with them if you know how to do it. Aside of that their nervousness probably causes more mistakes.

Sounds like the speed boost is just over kill then. Might as well normalize the speeds ¦]
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby _Gunnar » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:05 am

Completely agree that the speed should not depend on quality. Maybe the knarr’s HP.
Although the diminishing returns on the speed are harsher than most of the games formulae...
_Gunnar

Postby Aceb » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:24 am

No. I want to have a reason to build a better knarr than previous one. I don't wanna be drag down because Hermits won't trade for better supplies or hold off so long. Knarrs are one of few reasons that makes difference between a solo player and a bigger group.

Also, even if knarrs would have same speed, You wouldn't be able to run anyway, since for each one bad click, your enemy will get closer anyway.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Granger » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:43 am

Aceb wrote:Also, even if knarrs would have same speed, You wouldn't be able to run anyway, since for each one bad click, your enemy will get closer anyway.
Which boils down to it being evenly bad, instead of only being bad for the ones with lower knarr quality.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Mario_Demorez » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:11 pm

It’s not really “remove quality effecting knarr properties” which so many people here are taking away.
It’s “change what quality effects to something else that doesn’t discourage noobs from leaving their walls.” New players who join the game will never catch up with old players and groups who started months earlier, nor should they. But currently the speed quality shit will always put noobs in danger in the waters. Billy joe the hermit joins the game today and plays for a week and gets materials for a knarr. He builds it and goes out. Gets killed and robbed by some pirate that happens to find him. Let’s say this happens in 2-3 months from now when even long time hermits have high q knarrs. Knarrs have a cap to speed based on quality anyways so eventually anyone who sticks to playing will have the same speed knarr, except new players, fuck them. They’re gonna die over and over unless they fork over some money to get some materials to build a knarr. I mean sure, it’s nice to have an economy but I’m willing to bet more people quit the game before they farm 1000 flotsams to buy an average knarr.
Mario_Demorez

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas