Nerf Banner's Soak

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Nerf Banner's Soak

Postby Mario_Demorez » Thu May 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Currently a village member with the permission to manage village land can place banners easily, 20 cloth and a couple of blocks and stones? Super fucking easy. however, you need 200+ str to break one with the same permissions. Please remove the strength requirement of destroying banners when you hold the correct permissions in the village so village banner management is easier. If you give someone land management permissions and they destroy all your banners over night then the problem is not in the mechanic but in the trust of the Law speaker. Same should be said about the statue but I dont believe anyone uses statues anyway.

or make them more expensive, like add metal or something to make the soak make sense!
Mario_Demorez

Re: Nerf Banner's Soak

Postby shubla » Thu May 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Mario_Demorez wrote:Currently a village member with the permission to manage village land can place banners easily, 20 cloth and a couple of blocks and stones? Super fucking easy. however, you need 200+ str to break one with the same permissions. Please remove the strength requirement of destroying banners when you hold the correct permissions in the village so village banner management is easier. If you give someone land management permissions and they destroy all your banners over night then the problem is not in the mechanic but in the trust of the Law speaker. Same should be said about the statue but I dont believe anyone uses statues anyway.

Bad idea.
Use wrecking ball.
Banners should not be easy to destroy, because building them requires lots of materials, time and effort.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Mario_Demorez » Thu May 23, 2019 1:31 pm

shubla wrote:Banners should not be easy to destroy, because building them requires lots of materials, time and effort.

Are you joking? it takes less than a minute to build one and it uses absolutely nothing to build. I carry around a full inventory of cloth and cut down trees near me and chip boulders to build them?
Mario_Demorez

Postby Lyrroth » Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pm

its more of permission issue than build use. isnt 200 str a laughable stat now?
Lyrroth

Postby Pills » Thu May 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Lyrroth wrote:its more of permission issue than build use. isnt 200 str a laughable stat now?

Exactly, maybe you shouldn't hand out permissions like skittles and you wouldn't have this problem. 200str is easy
Pills

Postby discospaceman » Thu May 23, 2019 2:34 pm

Pills wrote:
Lyrroth wrote:its more of permission issue than build use. isnt 200 str a laughable stat now?

Exactly, maybe you shouldn't hand out permissions like skittles and you wouldn't have this problem. 200str is easy

This, go hunt and dry some anglers you scrubs
discospaceman

Postby Mario_Demorez » Thu May 23, 2019 3:18 pm

I have two characters with +200 str. It doesn't change the fact that the cost of the banner is significantly lower than the effort to break it. Houses take metal and much more materials and have a lower soak value. This does not make sense. Village idol has a lower soak value than a banner does. This is not about the difficultly of breaking the banner for me but the whole fact that it doesn't make sense that the owner of a banner has a requirement that does not make sense.
Mario_Demorez

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 23, 2019 5:56 pm

The effort to break should be higher than the cost to build. The effort to break in previous worlds, namely legacy, was atrociously small, leaving people getting vandalized by 0-effort throwaway alts. Either plan your expansions properly or don't let someone expand willy nilly.

For an established village, it should be. 100 base Strength takes a few weeks from a brand new settlement if you focus on pushing up STR and going after such. I mean, we have our power players here that can probably hit it 4-5 days after the start of a new world, but that's hardly the majority of the population.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Mario_Demorez » Thu May 23, 2019 5:59 pm

MagicManICT wrote:The effort to break should be higher than the cost to build. The effort to break in previous worlds, namely legacy, was atrociously small, leaving people getting vandalized by 0-effort throwaway alts. Either plan your expansions properly or don't let someone expand willy nilly.

Im not saying lower them for everyone like raiders and even normal villagers. I am saying that the lawspeaker and anyone with land management permissions should not have the requirement.
Mario_Demorez

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 23, 2019 6:06 pm

Mario_Demorez wrote:Im not saying lower them for everyone like raiders and even normal villagers. I am saying that the lawspeaker and anyone with land management permissions should not have the requirement.

That goes to the same issue as with walls and other buildings.... obviously it can't be done within the current architecture of the game, or there are certain "exploitative mechanics" that the devs wish to avoid by doing such things. Have a problem with a troll/spy player building too much? Imagine how much worse it would be if same type of player can easily destroy.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas