Randomize Whirlpools

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Randomize Whirlpools

Postby Kaios » Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 pm

It would be nice if whirlpools swapped locations/destinations every once in awhile, either weekly, biweekly, or monthly. Whether you do this manually or could create it as an automated process doesn't matter much to me but I do think it would be nice if whirlpools swapped around a bit. Currently, many of them are clustered together in the same parts of the map while others may be left with no access to any whirlpool in their part of the map at all.

I'm not sure why it is something generated at random with the map in the first place as there aren't that many whirlpools to make placing them manually in better locations an unfeasible task.
Kaios

Re: Randomize Whirlpools

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:50 pm

They do
DDDsDD999

Postby Kaios » Thu May 23, 2019 9:51 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:They do

The physical location of a whirlpool changes and not just the destinations which they go to? News to me.
Kaios

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:56 pm

Ah, guess I only saw the destination part. The actual location of the individual whirlpools changing seems shitty. At least currently you can plan around building markets/villages around whirlpools and hoping they line up for each time chunk. Having to hope RNG spawns a whirlpool near you AND it goes to one of the destinations you want seems even shittier.
DDDsDD999

Postby Mario_Demorez » Thu May 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Seems like instead of fixing something you’re just spreading problems around for everyone with this suggestion
Mario_Demorez

Postby Kaios » Thu May 23, 2019 10:03 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Ah, guess I only saw the destination part. The actual location of the individual whirlpools changing seems shitty. At least currently you can plan around building markets/villages around whirlpools and hoping they line up for each time chunk. Having to hope RNG spawns a whirlpool near you AND it goes to one of the destinations you want seems even shittier.

No one needs to have 4, 5, 6, 10 whirlpools on a single continent while another has zero, that is the truly shitty aspect of this mechanic. There can be a couple on each and they swap around the lakes on their continent as well as the destinations they go to occasionally.

Why is the prerequisite for a good market to be centered around a whirlpool though? What's the point of removing all easy forms of fast travel but then leaving in this one thing that puts some individuals at a marked disadvantage simply based on where you spawned and decided to build. It's an exclusionary mechanic, the markets that don't have them in their own areas appear significantly less desirable even with the use of charter stones because the players they are looking to attract likely don't have the stats capable of porting great distances in that manner.

Then you just get people saying things like this for example:

azrid wrote:Is there a vortex closeby?

azrid wrote:horrible location in that case

azrid wrote:Best places for a market are with high concentration of vortexes.
I know that the western continent has a place with double vortex real close to each other.
Kaios

Postby Ants » Thu May 23, 2019 11:04 pm

Kaios wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:Why is the prerequisite for a good market to be centered around a whirlpool though? What's the point of removing all easy forms of fast travel but then leaving in this one thing that puts some individuals at a marked disadvantage simply based on where you spawned and decided to build. It's an exclusionary mechanic, the markets that don't have them in their own areas appear significantly less desirable even with the use of charter stones because the players they are looking to attract likely don't have the stats capable of porting great distances in that manner.

Then you just get people saying things like this for example:

azrid wrote:Is there a vortex closeby?

azrid wrote:horrible location in that case

azrid wrote:Best places for a market are with high concentration of vortexes.
I know that the western continent has a place with double vortex real close to each other.

Isn't it common sense that some places would be better to build markets on than others? It's kinda like building a base on a snowy mountain and complaining that you can't farm there... :?

Our island is doomed to being politically irrelevant for various reasons. Might as well embrace it.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby azrid » Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 am

Its a huge oversight by the builder if a public project doesn't place itself near free global fast travel portals.
I don't think its fair to change a huge mechanic based on someones bad choice.
Hopefully some of the bigger markets being built haven't made the same mistake.
Its a shame really since there is a vortex on the western small continent from you.
azrid

Postby Kaios » Fri May 24, 2019 1:55 am

azrid wrote:I don't think its fair to change a huge mechanic based on someones bad choice.

And yet the suggestion to fix large faction domination of local resources is exactly that, why should access to global fast travel be restricted to the same areas of the map all the time?
Kaios

Postby azrid » Fri May 24, 2019 2:09 am

Factions aren't controlling vortexes everyone can use them.
Not every area is created equal and thats okay. Area diversity is our strength.
azrid

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas