Randomize Whirlpools

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Randomize Whirlpools

Postby CSPAN » Fri May 24, 2019 2:35 am

Sounds like a map generator issue. Having them switch around could help or bother some. The upside is, someone not near one might have one spawn closer. The downside being, someone that might use one a lot for trades or whatever could find themselves without one.

Mobility already sucks, if anything, the next map should just have them generated in a much more even fashion.

The idea of whirlpools, I'd hope, is a temporary fix to the... less than optimal way of traversing. Whole concept is ridiculous. Structures meant for fast traveling large distances are basically useless aside from alt spawning lol
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby Ants » Fri May 24, 2019 3:38 am

Kaios wrote:
azrid wrote:I don't think its fair to change a huge mechanic based on someones bad choice.

And yet the suggestion to fix large faction domination of local resources is exactly that, why should access to global fast travel be restricted to the same areas of the map all the time?

Large factions dominate local resources because they're easy to bot. You can't bot vortexes, so where does that comparison come from?

It should be a lot easier to get access to resources now that you can hand bash unclaimed palisades, anyways.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Ganhart » Fri May 24, 2019 10:08 am

I'm really liking the core of that idea.
But in reality if that would happen the game will become even more dead because it will take a lot more time for people to travel, so the majority of players probably wouldn't even bother to search for whirlpools.
Ganhart

Postby Kaios » Fri May 24, 2019 11:51 am

Ganhart wrote:I'm really liking the core of that idea.
But in reality if that would happen the game will become even more dead because it will take a lot more time for people to travel, so the majority of players probably wouldn't even bother to search for whirlpools.

I don’t really want to make travel harder in this regard although I do have my issues with it, I just want better access to parts of the map that don’t usually get so much traffic. For example, instead of having 6-10 whirlpools on or around the same continent or two there could maybe be 2-3 on each one and every so often they swap. Think of it like links in a chain, the chain always remains connected but the links swap positions with each other from time to time.
Kaios

Postby azrid » Fri May 24, 2019 12:31 pm

I like that there are more remote locations that everyone wont frequent.
azrid

Postby Ants » Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 pm

Better idea: let's fix the road system.
Ants

Postby Kaios » Fri May 24, 2019 3:32 pm

You guys are thinking about it from the wrong perspective, I agree that having some remote locations and some more active can be nice but we could in fact have it both ways. Let’s say they swapped aroundly weekly, and each week there would be a different part of the map that becomes the “remote location” while other areas may gain a boost in activity due to the location swap. Not only would it allow players to visit different parts of the map each week and check out new places or meet (kill) new people but the players in the remote location during that time get the benefit of leaving their walls knowing it is less likely they will run in to a player at this time. It works in the favour of both PvP and PvE oriented players.

Yes, it might be annoying for some players when for example they lose their whirlpool to Community Fair for a week but if a greater player interaction is what we strive for then sometimes you have to push players in the direction of moving outside of their comfort zones.
Kaios

Postby Ants » Fri May 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Kaios wrote:You guys are thinking about it from the wrong perspective, I agree that having some remote locations and some more active can be nice but we could in fact have it both ways. Let’s say they swapped aroundly weekly, and each week there would be a different part of the map that becomes the “remote location” while other areas may gain a boost in activity due to the location swap. Not only would it allow players to visit different parts of the map each week and check out new places or meet (kill) new people but the players in the remote location during that time get the benefit of leaving their walls knowing it is less likely they will run in to a player at this time. It works in the favour of both PvP and PvE oriented players.

Yes, it might be annoying for some players when for example they lose their whirlpool to Community Fair for a week but if a greater player interaction is what we strive for then sometimes you have to push players in the direction of moving outside of their comfort zones.

I feel like randomized whirlpools would actually result in less player interaction because people couldn't easily meet up at specific spots. Most of the world is empty at this point, a lot of people quit. How could markets host events like shoeball competitions if no one could reliably reach them? :(
Ants

Postby Kaios » Fri May 24, 2019 9:27 pm

lol can't have markets at places without whirlpools, can't change how whirlpools work, must have remote locations, must not have remote locations

fucking christ
Kaios

Postby azrid » Sat May 25, 2019 11:22 am

A market was built in a remote location.
Either the builders knew it was a remote location or if they didn't it shouldn't be jorb and loftars job to clean up the mess.
The burden of travel was put on the customer for some reason. Was it the comfort of building on their home island?
azrid

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas