minevators

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

minevators

Postby leonideus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:58 pm

I'm proposing a new type of mine shaft, it would be built on the surface and then extended down one level at a time and would allow a person to go straight to a level it was built on or extended to (like an elevator). This would potentially save a lot of time going up or down many mine levels, clicking and loading too. I won't say anything about materials cost except that i feel like the normal mineholes they should be steeper every level. I know this was not an issue in world 10 with only 5 or so mine levels but with nine confirmed this world and possibly more...... I feel like this is more worthwhile. It could require travel weariness to use i guess but hopefully not too much per level.
leonideus

Re: minevators

Postby sabinati » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:29 pm

leonideus wrote:It could require travel weariness to use i guess but hopefully not too much per level.

why though, it's not teleporting really, it's just a hole with a box and some ropes and pulleys and a crank
sabinati

Postby DougRatmen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:01 am

You know what? This actually sounds pretty solid... I see plenty of 'step down' pailsades that just have a round about from hole to hole, so just having a 'Go to 'this' level' without having all the clicking and black screen loading flashes... It sounds pretty alright.

Catch is? There needs to be a catch. More costly than a minehole maybe? This sounds to the point that it might make the minehole redundant, so something should be in place to level that out.
W8 - Hermit
W9 - Ranger of Bleakwater > Lawspeaker of Meadhaus
W10 - Knights who say Ni founder > 404 > Rattenschlob >Lawspeaker of LT > Solaire > Lategame Hermit
W11 - Knights Solaire founder
DougRatmen

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:06 am

DougRatmen wrote:More costly than a minehole maybe?

Still would need something cheap for early game burrowing. Minehole would be just that, and the "cost" of an elevator clear to 'hel' would probably be too restrictive, maybe?

I'd have to research, but I'm pretty sure they had counterweight elevators at some point during the iron age among several civilizations.

Also, how would this look? Given current mechanics, it would be as much a chore to go up and down as using current mine holes.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby leonideus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:04 pm

part of the catch would be that you have to reach a level first to build it down to there.
as a result you would pretty much need to have a minehole first. minehole may become redundant but nice to keep around as a back up in case of griefer.
leonideus

Postby Dakkan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:25 pm

Fromhere.
Dakkan wrote:"Elevator" search results:

Multi-level minehole This exact topic.
Mine carts About transporting bulk raw materials across z-levels, elevators come up on page 2.
Tired of labour? This idea will SHOCK YOU!!! Terribly named thread about freight elevators, with this noticeable quote:
jorb wrote:I like the idea of a mine elevator!

I like the idea that the freight elevator is an upgrade of the mine shaft, powered by the windmill. Mine shaft only goes up/down 1 level, freight elevator can be extended vertically over many levels and uses a flower menu to pick the destination. Normally I hate flower menus but if it saves multiple loading screens AND has bulk capabilities then it would be so, so worth it.

I also would like more cave levels. Another type of underground feature could be chasm, uncrossable black pit(until bridges are implemented). Could generate similarly to how underground rivers do.

tags for future searches:
mineshaft minehole shaft hole elevator ladder multi-level lift

And the idea of a single mine lift structure that we can just extend deeper with similar increasing costs is even better sounding this world, with even more levels now.
Dakkan

Postby terechgracz » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:10 am

Why that even should be costing more than minehole? I'd implement it as such: allow building minehole at another's minehole ladder, it would automaticly make such structure but only costing more ropes and leather.
terechgracz

Postby leonideus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:09 am

I apologize but i searched and honestly didnt find that multi level minehole topic. Even still with the additional min levels it definitely seems like more of a thing.
leonideus

Postby Dakkan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:51 am

leonideus wrote:I apologize but i searched and honestly didnt find that multi level minehole topic. Even still with the additional min levels it definitely seems like more of a thing.

What terms did you specifically search? I'll add them to the tag list for both threads.
Dakkan

Postby jorb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Will consider.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Return to Critique & Ideas