C&I subforums

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

C&I subforums

Postby Agrik » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 am

I see a single heap of 300+ pages of topics here, some answered by jorb&loftar, some rejected, some implemented, but all mixed together.

I suggest to make subforums to sort ideas by the stage: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
- "Rejected" (bad name, mb needs smth different)
- "Will-considering"
- "Implemented"
Maybe some more, idk.

As simple as possible: topic is moved from general C&I space to "Will-considering" when devs say so in it. And moved further when implemented in a patch. But still can be tossed around. "Rejected" is not to prohibit discussion, but to move aside ideas that need a big rethinking before possible consideration.
It will be easier to navigate, check and track for both devs and feedbackers. If to go on, I know an example where devs attach an unique code(number) to each feedback they accepted to think about, just to make tracking easier for themselves, but maybe this is too much...
Agrik

Re: C&I subforums

Postby loleznub » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:21 am

Adds extra work for them, so I wouldn't count on it.

I've already suggested that they should have mods actually be useful for once by sorting through these threads that are obviously garbage, but all that I got was essentially "will consider" and nothing has changed since.
loleznub

Postby jorb » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:23 am

I agree, at the very least, that the forum layout could be better. Not sure if categorization of this forum would help.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Agrik » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:03 am

Sorting by what is garbage requires additional thinking, and even more, may need discussions and discussions between mods and devs. That's why I'm not counting on it and even not thinking it is needed. OTOH, moving anything with "Will consider" stamp into a subforum looks simple and fast. As well as moving anything with "Meh" diagnosis into "Looked and disliked". Anything doubtful can be left here as it is now.
Agrik

Postby Popo13 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:11 pm

jorb wrote:I agree, at the very least, that the forum layout could be better. Not sure if categorization of this forum would help.

Rather than status, I think categorization of ideas could help both the players and the devs. Leave it to the players (and inevitably the mods) to get their threads in the right child forum, it would require no additional work from the devs at least. Some options could be:
- PvP Combat
- PvE Combat
- Food
- Credos
- Curios
- Mining
- Foraging
- Farming
Popo13

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Are one of you guys volunteering to organize? What do you do when some thread fits multiple categories? Where do you put it? It's older forum software that lacks a lot of functionality that a good database might feature.

I have no idea if any semblance of sorting is technically feasible with this forum software. Rather than subforums, tagging would be much more convenient and provide better search capabilities. The problem with that is you either crowd-source the tagging of threads (which is a problem with such a small user base), rely on users to tag their own threads (people will miss tags, not everyone writes English as well as others, so not always going to use the same terms), or lump it on a librarian* to perform.

*I'm forever going to think of the person that posted this thread as this.... :geek:
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:46 pm

Categorizing based on content is pretty pointless. Jorb's kinda supposed to at least glance at all of them, I'd suspect browsing multiple categories would only make it more difficult.

The forums could definitely be more organized: one sentence threads about ideas posted a million times that contribute nothing should be moved into megathreads, an "implemented" and/or "refused" section could make the archives look a lot better, etc. I'd do it, but realistically all this would do is reduce the number of threads in this forum. The whole point of this forum is for jorb to read them, and while I think it would look nicer, I don't think it'd really make it easier for him to read.
DDDsDD999

Postby MadNomad » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:56 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:I don't think it'd really make it easier for him to read.

it's easy - he would only have to click the correct subforum, and then he could read it just as anything else!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MadNomad

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:16 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:The forums could definitely be more organized: one sentence threads about ideas posted a million times that contribute nothing should be moved into megathreads, an "implemented" and/or "refused" section could make the archives look a lot better, etc.

I've tried doing this, but then all you hear from the poster is complaints about it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loleznub » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:17 am

MagicManICT wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:The forums could definitely be more organized: one sentence threads about ideas posted a million times that contribute nothing should be moved into megathreads, an "implemented" and/or "refused" section could make the archives look a lot better, etc.

I've tried doing this, but then all you hear from the poster is complaints about it.

I've suggested before to Jorb to give you guys something to "stand" on when it comes to things like this.

Adding needed fields for a critique/suggestion would guide the players looking to improve the game, censor the majority of people that aren't willing to put work into a well-explained critique/idea, and give the moderation team a "checklist" on what would be the bare minimum to pass a basic screen.

People can't exactly bitch about their 2 sentence critique/troll idea being removed if you make it so the bare minimum requirements to be taken seriously take more than 30 seconds of work to create.
loleznub

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas