Windmill to process logs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Windmill to process logs

Postby saltyfish » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:20 am

Windmills could cut boards and chop logs. Quality condition could be imposed...
Thanks.
saltyfish

Re: Windmill to process logs

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:19 am

Requested multiple times.

One viewtopic.php?f=48&t=64197&start=10&hilit=mill of several (try search--lumber, mill, windmill)

I believe it's on the to-do list, but jorb would have to confirm it. It's been a while since he really gave solid feedback on a 'yes/no' level.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jorb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Myeah, idk. It's a bit high tech.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby boreial » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Personally, would rather see an extra large coal kiln that took 20 logs to fill, or pretty much anything that I can dump full logs in to get rid of them without chopping to blocks and not stockpiling. Kinda hate what that method does to the global/regional dig up pool.
boreial

Postby saltyfish » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:46 pm

jorb wrote:Myeah, idk. It's a bit high tech.

wiki: since 19th century... "Larger versions were also used for tasks such as sawing wood, chopping hay, and shelling and grinding grain."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windmill
saltyfish

Postby saltyfish » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:52 pm

boreial wrote:Personally, would rather see an extra large coal kiln that took 20 logs to fill, or pretty much anything that I can dump full logs in to get rid of them without chopping to blocks and not stockpiling. Kinda hate what that method does to the global/regional dig up pool.

If Jorb does not like 'high-tech', then allow us to burn those logs. I think that goes as low tech as possible :)
saltyfish

Postby shubla » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:23 pm

jorb wrote:Myeah, idk. It's a bit high tech.

Sawmills powered by rotating motion have been used since ancient rome and byzantine! Is that too high tech for you? Why we even have windmills then?

Main reason why they were powered by water and not wind is because logs were transported via rivers, so basically all sawmills were located by the river, thus flowing water was used as a power source.
But I am 100% certain that building a sawmill that would have been powered by wind would have been possible as soon as the first windmills were built, and some sawmills probably used wind, but as I said, there was not much sense in using wind when you had water, so wind-powered sawmills didn't become widespread, even though the technology was there since the ancient rome!

If you still think that they are "too high tech" when compared to windmills, I would really like to know why!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Return to Critique & Ideas