Game Controls

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Game Controls

Postby Qeeet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:44 pm

I have a friend who is refusing to play with me HnH just because of the control, where you L-click on point on the terrain and then move.
Are you planning to change/ or rather extent the controls, and let players to choose between this type of moving and diablo-like?
I'd like to play HnH with my friends.
Qeeet

Re: Game Controls

Postby jorb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:56 pm

IIRC, last time we discussed this I think the argument against it was that it caused too much network traffic. No immediate plans, I'm afraid.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:17 pm

If you mean the click and hold type movement, I'd think a client mod could do that if anyone is inclined to program it so it's compatible with what the server wants input for.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby czaper2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Let me farm with my Xbox 360 controller please.
czaper2

Postby Qeeet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:43 pm

The lacking of such type of control now and in the future is kinda sad :(
Qeeet

Postby jordancoles » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:54 am

MagicManICT wrote:If you mean the click and hold type movement, I'd think a client mod could do that if anyone is inclined to program it so it's compatible with what the server wants input for.

It wouldn't be fluid movement since you'd basically just be spamclicking and Loftar would probably boot you from the server anyways
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:34 pm

what kind of weirdo actually hold-clicks in Diablo anyways
Zentetsuken

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:what kind of weirdo actually hold-clicks in Diablo anyways

I always did, especially when moving longer distances through cleared out sections of map. I tend to break left-mouse buttons due to too many years playing bass instruments (need greater finger strength), so it was a habit I forced myself to develop to help sustain the life of my mice... and it worked because I played a lot of Diablo 2, 3 for a while, and now Path of Exile.

edit:
@jordancoles: if it was implemented the same way as was done in D2/3, then the move command would only be sent once a frame, and be fairly efficient in bandwidth usage depending on specific implementation, certainly more so than some of the current click-spammy commands in the game.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MooCow » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 am

It would actually be pretty easy to keep the traffic down. You don't need to sent the information every frame

Have the 'click' sent under the following conditions
  • Mouse Button Down
  • Mouse Button Up
  • Angle between travel and mouse position >15°
  • Every second while held

I personally think that doing that would a a waste of time. This game is nothing like diablo, and diablo's moment system is designed around it's combat system and game layout. Diablo has exactly zero cupboard labyrinths
You should just use shift+click for long moves, and click the mini map for medium ones. This is a feature even in the default client.
MooCow

Postby bmjclark » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:20 am

jordancoles wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:If you mean the click and hold type movement, I'd think a client mod could do that if anyone is inclined to program it so it's compatible with what the server wants input for.

It wouldn't be fluid movement since you'd basically just be spamclicking and Loftar would probably boot you from the server anyways

IIRC boshaw lowered the amount that combat moves got spammed to like 10 per second (i think ardeness did as well) and it worked fine. 10 clicks per second for movement would probably look like you're holding your click and moving where your mouse is so im sure some client maker could do it if they wanted to. In other words, bug ardeness :lol:
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas