Game Controls

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Game Controls

Postby Kaios » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:26 am

I’m pretty sure KT client had hold click movement and it was wonderful, sometimes I still try to hold my mouse clicks to move. Great guy and a great client.
Kaios

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:48 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Zentetsuken wrote:what kind of weirdo actually hold-clicks in Diablo anyways

I always did, especially when moving longer distances through cleared out sections of map. I tend to break left-mouse buttons due to too many years playing bass instruments (need greater finger strength), so it was a habit I forced myself to develop to help sustain the life of my mice... and it worked because I played a lot of Diablo 2, 3 for a while, and now Path of Exile.

edit:
@jordancoles: if it was implemented the same way as was done in D2/3, then the move command would only be sent once a frame, and be fairly efficient in bandwidth usage depending on specific implementation, certainly more so than some of the current click-spammy commands in the game.

gross, I don't remember ever hold-clicking in Diablo because it's way too easy to hover over an enemy, shrine, or seal that you want to stay away from
Zentetsuken

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:53 pm

If you do an analysis, it's actually a more efficient means of movement in both ARPGs and RTS games (which extends to MOBAs). It's something you have to train yourself to learn to do, though, if you've gotten used to click spamming.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas