Let us use catapults to damage animals

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Let us use catapults to damage animals

Postby jordancoles » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:35 am

Catapults can damage players, why not animals? If I take the time and spend the resources to make a catapult I should be able to use it on them imo

Put more sand in this box please
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Re: Let us use catapults to damage animals

Postby bmjclark » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:33 am

Do they even still damage players after the siege changes?
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby loleznub » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:05 am

You should be able to launch animals, too, especially disease ridden ones.
loleznub

Postby not_a_cat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Please consider that players can react to catapult fire while kritters can't
Using catas for hunting will provide just another way to cheese dungeon bosses and other fatties (like trolls: catapults can shoot through caves' null-tiles iirc)
not_a_cat

Postby jordancoles » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:20 pm

not_a_cat wrote:Please consider that players can react to catapult fire while kritters can't
Using catas for hunting will provide just another way to cheese dungeon bosses and other fatties (like trolls: catapults can shoot through caves' null-tiles iirc)

It is highly unlikely that you'd make it to the boss room of a dungeon and be unable to kill the boss. Also, I don't think you can build catapults on dungeon tiles.

Also also, you'd have to pen it up somehow to be able to shoot at it which isn't really possible since it agros you when you enter the room. You could have one person tank it while you shoot, but then you risk hitting the person in melee with the catapult (if it were even possible to build).

As for trolls, you'd need to pen it up which would mean having cave hermit to avoid being agro'd and instantly caved in on. If you have cave hermit chances are you can also kill a troll normally and have already invested many many hours into the game and your character's development.

Again, if you're taking the time to make a catapult and wait 24h then you should be able to use it on animals imo. You get 3 shots before needing to repair again and there is an initial crafting cost to it as well which isn't super spammable because of the brimstone req.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Prowny » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 pm

I assumed coles was talking about domesticated animals, which would totally make sense imo.
loftar wrote:The tears in this thread are so delicious
Prowny

Postby jordancoles » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:03 pm

Prowny wrote:I assumed coles was talking about domesticated animals, which would totally make sense imo.

All animals :!:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Prowny » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:31 pm

jordancoles wrote:
Prowny wrote:I assumed coles was talking about domesticated animals, which would totally make sense imo.

Well in that case... shouldn't catapults wreck the q of animal remains? I mean if arrows damage the q, it'd follow catapult rocks would lower it to q1 (or even destroy special boss loot?), preventing whatever "cheesing" not_a_cat was talking about.
loftar wrote:The tears in this thread are so delicious
Prowny

Postby jordancoles » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 pm

Prowny wrote:
jordancoles wrote:

Well in that case... shouldn't catapults wreck the q of animal remains? I mean if arrows damage the q, it'd follow catapult rocks would lower it to q1 (or even destroy special boss loot?), preventing whatever "cheesing" not_a_cat was talking about.

I think it would be fine if it was just capped by the surv of the person who fired the shot

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby NeoBasilisk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:44 am

I don't think we should do anything to incentivize people to keep their animals in a mine on L8. If animals can be bombarded, then there should be some kind of bonus for keeping them on the surface such as faster breeding speed.
NeoBasilisk

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas