Few ideas for credo quests

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Few ideas for credo quests

Postby Leny » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Give us the option to choose between active (deliver, craft, visit, ...) and passive (study, XP events?) credo quests. It makes no sense to be getting study oak spire/beaver teeth/any curios that take days to finish for someone who's active. Those quests would make more sense for people that have limited time to play and can't be running around. Giving people the option might remove some of the frustration with the system.

Add plant quests to lumberjack, has been talked about, just a reminder.

Lower the increment of quests per credo already done. Plenty of ideas how to deal with this already on the forums and Jorb mentioned that on the stream as well. Nothing has changed yet. Except for the frustration :)

If higher levels of credos are intentionally more difficult then I'd like to complain that it gets unreasonable when you have like 5+ credos 'cause skipping the bad quests gets real hard or almost impossible. You can probably compare how many quests people skip at lower and higher number of credos done. This should be easy to test with like lumberjack that has 4 study quests, 2 of them feel unreasonable (beaver teeth and oak spire take 1-2 days and you can get that x 2) so you can autofinish all quests except for those that contain aforementioned curios and see how many times you can escape level 5 of lumberjack with like 18 quests per level. I've climbed up 3 times already just to have to skip 4-6 quests in a row putting me back to level 4.

OR lower the chance of getting a quest that you've skipped already.

You can also check out what kind of quests people skip and update the system accordingly. The game could use more quality of life updates.

Add some more logic to the quest system, don't let Math.Random() take over. Delivering troll belts to trees? Studying 5 x eagle feather (38 hrs each)?

Remove XP event quests until they actually can be triggered in a meaningful way. I've read your comments on this and I agree that this is supposed to be hard. But the current system isn't hard. It's an instant skip for most. I've wasted more than a month testing this and the event really didn't reset for me no matter what I've done. It also felt like it's harder for me to trigger other XP events until I abandoned but that might be just a feeling. I also felt like I can't find any beavers when I had multiple kill beaver quests in a row wasting hours and hours searching for them so that might be just me.

Some of the annoying things with the credo quests include:
- getting multiple: "kill/butcher beaver/otter" quests in a row, especialy getting butcher and then kill for the same animal afterwards (whenever I had these I couldn't find beavers/otters for hours)
- similar thing but for plant/harvest, plant forcing you to harvest and harvest of the same thing immediately after (we usually avoid that by having enormous fields of pretty much everything)
- deliver stupidly expensive stuff to a quest giver (sledge hammers, troll belts and such)
- study curio that takes few days to finish x 5
- getting 10+ mine specific gold ore when doing miner on higher amount of quests per level (early on in the world)
- cave hermit sending you to L8 when you've only reached L3 so far (actually managed to skip through this nightmare but got stuck on XP event quests)
- getting gain strength quests that mess up your STR and then gaining extra STR as a level reward (can be avoided with proper preparation but gets harder for higher amount of quests per level), STR can be substituted with other stat but most people complained about STR
- doing prequisite credos that you don't need just to be able to get the credo you really want, I'm currently doing lumberjack (90 quests) just so I can move onto strider for that 1 level that gives me 10 % bonus on animal q... out of the 10 level bonuses I only one that one but I have to do 200+ quests for it (including skips)
- the whole scholar and it's "wait x days for the things to finish studying"
- eat spitroasted stuff or even eat generic garbage that you don't really want to eat

I could go on but seeing the speed at which Jorb goes through the ideas (was he in the 2017 section on one of the streams?) and skipping the longer posts... I guess I just had to mention this somewhere. The whole credo system got a lot of people in the village frustrated to the point they started to play less and less. Some even try to avoid it.
Everytime I find something that doesn't make sense I can almost see Jorb grinning and mumbling to himself: "working as intended."
Leny

Re: Few ideas for credo quests

Postby KwonChiMin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Why you want all of credo to be instant (if your industry is up to some point). All those study quests are just timegates that keep you ingame for longer time.
But i agree that "experience" quests should be more consistent.
KwonChiMin

Postby Leny » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:57 pm

KwonChiMin wrote:Why you want all of credo to be instant (if your industry is up to some point). All those study quests are just timegates that keep you ingame for longer time.
But i agree that "experience" quests should be more consistent.

Not sure how you do them but we always try to skip anything that takes time (quarryman, miner, lumberjack study quests for example) and do the whole credo in a day or two. Study quests aren't real time gates unless you're doing scholar, nomad, cave hermit or other credos where you don't wanna risk skipping. Although I skipped lot of those as well.
Everytime I find something that doesn't make sense I can almost see Jorb grinning and mumbling to himself: "working as intended."
Leny

Postby KwonChiMin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 am

I am doing those i can complete without skipping and relying on chance. Currently i am at 24 per level gem hunter (after herder and cave hermit branches) - i can put a gem in study and have time to do some other things.
KwonChiMin

Return to Critique & Ideas