Gemcutting C&I

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Gemcutting C&I

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:47 am

For now gemcutting is painful enough with all those jotuns turned to dust, but there are also some other bad moments.
First of all - the inability to mass-craft gems with selected shape. Sadly - there are some gems, that way better in lower-then-top shapes. So you need to break cutting and get rid of some gems to not cut it accidentaly. The only solution so far is to exclude "craft all" button while gem-cutting, but since it is kinda boring and slow process - that would just be even more painful and unfun.
So maybe we can get a separate craft category [Gemcutting] with separate craft options for every shape?
Or maybe you can use new item - Cutting Matrix to limit the max shape of craft? (it could be RMBed on Cutting Wheel (with inspecting would tell what matrix is currently on use) or needed as optional building material while constructing wheel (for lifetime, worse case, but still better then now)).

Also, please don't post your "I've cutted 3 gems for myself and don't think the mechanic is bad and need rework"
Last edited by Enjoyment_2 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Re: Gemcutting C&I

Postby shubla » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:50 am

If it was all fun, then it wouldn't be.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Headchef » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 am

Only went for Jotun brilliant and the rest just cut until brilliant for LP...

So not sure what you mean, it's better to stop cutting at certain point because of risk Vs reward so small LP increase?
Or from the stats it's too small difference so not worth cutting more?
Headchef

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am

hardly imagine where could fun came from here, so don't worry. The idea stays in "no fun allowed" zone, just trying to reduce some tedium in hearth-shape-cutting
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Vulgarr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:57 pm

I think it needs to show you the cutting chance like gilding chances do. Otherwise I'm fine with it as is.
Vulgarr

Postby Fostik » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Agree, ability to select maximum cut type of gem will resolve that problem.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:For now gemcutting is painful enough with all those jotuns turned to dust,

I think the issue is more with certain peoples needs being greater than their sense of probability. (I'm kind of joking, but then there are a lot of self-help groups out there for people who have gambling problems--ie they don't have a proper sense of value vs probability.)

Enjoyment_2 wrote:The only solution so far is to exclude "craft all" button while gem-cutting,

Not sure what to say other than presort what you're working with so that you can just "craft all." It's something you have to do no matter what method is implemented by the devs to fix this part of it. Inventory management is always painful and unfun. There is one old-school option, though... I miss the old text UIs in this regard. "cut large pear diamond" is far easier than sorting through pictogram inventory looking for it. (Thankfully some of the clients have a means of searching parts of the UI.)

There does need to be a means for directly cutting what you want. A gemcutter doesn't pick up a stone and cut it 3 different ways before reaching the cut they want. They inspect the gem and figure out the most valuable cut for it (or toss it in the "industrial grade" bin). There is a game out there, older and still going, that features something a bit like this where the player has to figure out what to cut out of the stone based on their needs and potential trade value.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jorb » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:13 am

Fostik wrote:Agree, ability to select maximum cut type of gem will resolve that problem.

Will consider. Low priority.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:55 pm

little bumping up and some explaination.
The main point of suggestion is to have the ability to not cut some heart gems into brilliants, because some of them are way worse in stats then heart-shaped.
Little example:
Please notice, I said "way worse" meaning "for some purposes" so don't say "it is still better!". For me personally even +3INT would be better than any Stealth, and I won't ever gild any rings for sewing (it can already be doubled with one single pieace of equipment easily)
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Archiplex » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:little bumping up and some explaination.
The main point of suggestion is to have the ability to not cut some heart gems into brilliants, because some of them are way worse in stats then heart-shaped.
Little example:
Please notice, I said "way worse" meaning "for some purposes" so don't say "it is still better!". For me personally even +3INT would be better than any Stealth, and I won't ever gild any rings for sewing (it can already be doubled with one single pieace of equipment easily)

I'd just say that instead of introducing a feature like this, that the bonuses granted at each level needs to be looked at

I dont think you should ever 'lose' a stat when going up in size/cut for example, that seems odd.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Return to Critique & Ideas