Re-roll for credo quest + commune with nature

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re-roll for credo quest + commune with nature

Postby Aceb » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:48 am

Each time season change, people should get a free credo quest re-roll. While it does happen, re-rolled quests should be possible to achieve in current season.
While we are at it, commune with nature also should get unlocked despite one being already in place.

I propose such changes because such re-rolls might help a lot casual players or those with a shitty luck. It shouldn't stack so if You didn't use previous re-roll, You won't get another one next time until already one in place is used.

Commune with nature unlock is proposed due to season change where a player might get stuck while getting before season change a quest that couldn't be completed before a proper season(s) kicks in, so instead of re roll, just simply unlock commune with nature for everyone on change. Also, like previously, credo quest should be able to be completed in current season. Also, maybe to make it more friendly, each 2 seasons, make it cost 50% only for one us?
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Re: Re-roll for credo quest + commune with nature

Postby Fostik » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:03 pm

I like that idea, sometimes you can receive quests that you cant complete.
Cant even imagine how devs will be able to create mapping between seasonal changes and quest task availability checks, but we need that thing definitely.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:42 pm

Clearly there's a list of what can and can't spawn in a given season. It should be possible to link the list of quest targets to what is available in a season through a little database magic*. I know with a relational database, it isn't that hard to set up. (It's not trivial, but it isn't hard.) Games tend not to use such robust database systems, though, so it might get a bit more involved.

My question is (and at the moment, it's hypothetical)... it's the last day of fall, maybe just minutes before the season changes. Should you get a "winter" quest, or an autumn one? Where's the line at? I really don't want to go abandoning quests at all simply because I'm going to have to sit on them a month or two to get them done. Normal quests? Maybe I'll sit on them that long, maybe I won't (maybe I won't even be active then). Credos? Might as well fail it as getting a lore trigger off the rarest lore will come faster.

*I know jorb has mentioned the "difficulty" of setting up new objects and making sure quests and such get flagged properly, etc on the forums. Solving one problem should solve them both. And if I can make wild assumptions and guesses from that, plus comments made by loftar over the years (which I probably half remember correctly), this might not be an easy ask.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aceb » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:53 pm

MagicManICT wrote:My question is (and at the moment, it's hypothetical)... it's the last day of fall, maybe just minutes before the season changes. Should you get a "winter" quest, or an autumn one? Where's the line at? I really don't want to go abandoning quests at all simply because I'm going to have to sit on them a month or two to get them done. Normal quests? Maybe I'll sit on them that long, maybe I won't (maybe I won't even be active then). Credos? Might as well fail it as getting a lore trigger off the rarest lore will come faster.

That is why I want this idea to come. If You get unlucky with the time like this, You get a "free" ability to re-roll your credo quest and if not, You get just a free re-roll that might or might not give You easier task.
In case of commune, You get another chance to start quest chain instead of having to wait for a correct season or next 3 to pass to kick in.

*I know jorb has mentioned the "difficulty" of setting up new objects and making sure quests and such get flagged properly, etc on the forums. Solving one problem should solve them both. And if I can make wild assumptions and guesses from that, plus comments made by loftar over the years (which I probably half remember correctly), this might not be an easy ask.

I mean, there is already a list in place that works. Work around is adding a credo quest list that will work as season quest list or just make the list being modified by the season change. While the other option seems hard as You imply, modyfing the list by making "credo season list" or something doesn't sounds hard to do.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:18 am

Aceb wrote:That is why I want this idea to come. If You get unlucky with the time like this, You get a "free" ability to re-roll your credo quest and if not, You get just a free re-roll that might or might not give You easier task.

Aye. I understand and completely agree with you. Great idea. I'm more asking should there be some sort of line where "ok, at this point players start getting "winter based quests" even if they can't complete them for another day or two. It's obviously going to cause issues for someone, so where should a line be at?

Obvious thought I just had: Maybe it should be a bit random the last few days going from 0 chance at say 3 days to 100% chance at... half a day*? (obvious being "it's a computer game. why does it have to be a hard line?)

*times up for debate, of course. Seems like good numbers to start at, though.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aceb » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:04 pm

I mean, if there's a handle that will tell an animal when it can spawn (season) then I don't see a reason why the same handle couldn't flip the switch for quests. It's the same time anyway.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby MrBunzy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:03 am

I really like the idea of credo re-rolls. Being able to occasionally abandon impossible quests without losing progress would make credos feel less rng, and give a sense of progression even if you were working on them very slowly. I'd love to see some sort of penalty free re-roll on a timer, perhaps even faster than seasonally.
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Remove seasonal quests from credos

Postby Archiplex » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm

It's been the most infuriating process to try and be able to accomplish credos; The system was already notoriously awful before seasons- given that some quests can take you across the continent, and others require you to study ridiculously long curios

But more irritating than all of that is the fact that some of them are flat out impossible during certain seasons. The forager credos is filled with "pick x berry" or "pick x tree seed" which is not possible during either winter or spring, because berries and mushrooms don't spawn during either season, and all trees lose their seeds during winter- and don't regrow them until summer.

I've been on a loop of accomplishing missions and then immediately giving up chains of 2-3 missions because they are just simply not possible, and the alternative was to literally wait a month until trees began to give seeds, or certain mobs begin to spawn again. (I don't know if its because its spring, but dragonflies and frogs don't spawn at all)

Either make seasons regional, make credos adjust their lists to the seasons, or remove all seasonal possibilities from the list. It's absolute nonsense to be possibly forced to wait a month just to be able to START to progress your credos.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Flyrella » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Please, otherwise this is super annoying :evil:
Flyrella

Postby jorb » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Getting a one quest reroll seems kind of arbitrary, and I also don't think it would do much to actually help solve the problem you're after. I have to say that some credos being hard to complete during off-seasons seems kind of fine to me.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas