Winter Mini-map

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Winter Mini-map

Postby thomas_ewing » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Is there a way to make it so the snow overlay doesn't appear on the mini-map or the in-game map? Because it looks sub-elegant as is.
thomas_ewing

Re: Winter Mini-map

Postby borka » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:00 pm

yep would be better without
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby sabinati » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:08 pm

might be better if snow didn't have black outlines
sabinati

Postby Axucs » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:37 pm

apart fix this hell ripples
maybe need another type of snow needed, biomes and mountains not feels on a strongly white map, which obviously works more like a fog of war ¦]
bird wars
World 8 - Lawspeaker of Great Houses,
World 9 - Lawspeaker of Great Houses,
World 10 - One of the founders Hedgehugs realm,
World 11 - Evil mind of Hedgehugs realm,
fanatical idealist, coalition maker/breaker, political crook, chaotic thinker.
Axucs

Postby Fostik » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Moreover, after snow will cover everything - minimap will become useless. Those map tiles saving to ingame map, and probably to global player map - odditown, that's horrible. Even after winter will end - it will be a problem to understand where will you find required biome, without visiting and resaving this place again.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby MrBunzy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:36 am

+1
I get lost in my own village with nothing but white tiles and a white splotchy minimap. Might be immersive if it didn't look so ass.
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby ricky » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:30 am

Yeah, I'd prefer to have the minimap retain its snow-less qualities, At the very least the saved map should. at this rate i'm going to have to revisit all the places I've been in spring to re-update my map to its snowless form. having streaks of mottled white across my map really isnt good. If the intent was for users to not be able to instantly recognize which biome theyre in due to snow, at least compromise and make map tiles only update with snow if they had previously never been on that map tile.

I think a good compromise would be a toggle switch for the snow overlay on the minimap, but please dont update the maptiles.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby Prowny » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:28 am

Fostik wrote:Moreover, after snow will cover everything - minimap will become useless. Those map tiles saving to ingame map, and probably to global player map - odditown, that's horrible. Even after winter will end - it will be a problem to understand where will you find required biome, without visiting and resaving this place again.

Good point there.
Also yes it does look bad. :?
loftar wrote:The tears in this thread are so delicious
Prowny

Postby Granger » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:30 am

The map should be more of a map and less of a satellite image.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:22 am

I hate to shubla all over this thread but I kinda like the idea of how snow covers everything, even in the minimap. Why should the minimap be some kind of magical tool that allows us to look under the snow? Also, I guarantee that it WILL become this, because custom clients will just have a tool to turn off updating the minimap during winter and odditown map can just not publish updates during winter too?

In the mean time though, the idea of not knowing what is under the snow and having to explore twice to figure it out is like the bare minimum of survival game inconvenience. If people cannot handle snow covering stuff for 10 days I'm not sure if this kind of game is right for you. Of all the negative, nerfy, terrible things requested that would make our lives harder or less convenient, having snow on the ground for 10 days seems like a beautiful, fun hindrance to our easy lives in comparison.

Pick your battles guys, the snow is just a fun, very temporary gimmick. Maybe it can be tweaked to look less "ugly" on the minimap, but I think it should stay, atleast until somebody implements a way to cheat it away, which surely wont be long.
Zentetsuken

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas