Food & Level Scaling Rework

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Food & Level Scaling Rework

Postby sarkum » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:13 pm

If my HP are going to be lowered drastically then this crap must be adjusted drastically.

And that was actually pretty LIGHT damage for my typical wax harvest!
THE FATE OF NORNS AWAITS US ALL
sarkum

Postby sarkum » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:20 pm

Screen shot was premature. Hadn't gotten to the honey yet...

Not trying to derail the thread but this is certainly related to HP value. Please reduce this no matter what you decide to do with HP.
THE FATE OF NORNS AWAITS US ALL
sarkum

Postby minorchik » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:49 pm

minorchik

Postby Avu » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Remove satiations? what a sprucecap suggestion. I remember a bunch of sprucecaps ragequiting over satiations. This wouldn't be an admission they might have been onto something?

My prognosis while better than with satiations it won't bring a pvp utopia. There's still like only 20 guys interested in pvp. And they still won't have a 100 to 1 ratio of sheep to wolves to bully around (what they like) cause no playerbase left. Why the playerbase is small and getting smaller many reasons. But the main on is a failure to attract new blood and the oldfags getting bored of the same old grind. Newblood won't bother because the game has reached a point where it's more grindy than a job that doesn't even pay and competing with the established bot powerhouses is pointless. Like it was pointless to bother with farming for quality in a certain town that has a very very efficient farming bot. It doesn't help the fact that the magic is dead either.

Heh. Back to PoE.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Witgang » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:00 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Oddity wrote:That seems like a bit much, and I agree with the poster who said that most players will have no reason to even try raising con. Maybe fix stat inflation so people don't end up with 10,000 attributes so easily instead (no quick ideas about that though)

I can think of some immediately, one being removing the hunger bonuses (you can at best get the base value for food, and can eat yourself into half values or worse). Cap the scaling on workstation spiraling (clay, iron namely) better so we don't end up at q500+ by six months into a world. Maybe that should be the value for 2-3 years in?

problem is the market is affected if you slow down progression too much , ppl can catch up with the others trough the market and then you get too many ppl producing the top ql stuff and those that are at the top won't feel like is worth it anymore then the others will keep it for a while till they get a taste of they'r own medicine and then it keeps repeating.
right now those that are ahead of everyone have a good motivation to keep going constantly improving , keep buying raw materials, and selling top ql stuff because they don't have the fear that the tools /materials they sell today might come around and make a competitor for them the next day because by the time that person is in shape to be a threat they will already be tens of points ahead.
Witgang

Postby Mario_Demorez » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:15 pm

So basically you’re shrinking the range of realistic attributes dependent on your stats. You’ve found a way to cap combat stats without actually capping the stats. I’m surprised there aren’t any stat cap resisters bitching yet, or maybe they don’t understand math.
Mario_Demorez

Postby Witgang » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:26 pm

thesourceofsadness wrote:
delsus wrote:Won't that make a ton of food items useless? People will only eat cheese... ?

This. Why would anyone use some other food if they can make top tier food?

Satiatios make people to focus not only on quality of food, but on it's variety too.

i think a better solution would be to dial down the satiation's, and buff the variety bonus.
the OP idea promotes large food quantity consumptions, and that promotes bot's .
i think this is just a debate as there is in any other competitive game, some ppl have more time and will than others , sometimes so much that others call them "no life'rs" and they get so far ahead that others just don't feel like it's worth it to be in the race anymore.

why not make stat gains limited by time?
Witgang

Postby Archiplex » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Or we could just become steadfast against bots and actually implement a "dont bot rule"; enforced upon reporting or detection (considering its not hard to see when people are on for 24+hrs at a time)

Not all bots are bad, but having evidence of botting and being at risk of being ousted is a good deterrent alone- not to mention it'd clear up some more obnoxious bots like the scout bots and vandalism bots

Who am I kidding? They're still insistent on the hands-off-unless-it's-world-ending ideology

That said, I dont think the argument about bots being abused is substantial in the long run; We're talking about levels of diminished returns so high that investing thousands of hours will only earn you a very small benefit.

For example; in the current system, 40 con = 200 hp; in the new system, 160 con = 200 hp. 300 hp doesn't come around until 810 con.

The effort required to hit 160 con is far, far lower than hitting 800, whereas the benefit is far smaller; so even if villages dedicate an entire computer to 24/7 automate the process of farming, hunting, cooking and eating con-related foods, the end return is insignificant enough that i'm not at all bothered by the prospect. Someone having double my health would have had to spent more time than I have played the game just 24/7 botting, and having double my health isn't going to ensure them any victories- especially if the combat changes introduce a way to lower the meaningfulness of stats even more, and introduce a higher skill angle.

So, IMO, these concerns about botting are overblown (Although I'd very much like to see, yknow, actions taken against botting).
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Darkins » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:28 am

Dakkan wrote:
Archiplex wrote:...where eating certain foods makes other types of food give a small bonus to their FEPS; basically, "reverse" satiations.

That's a fun idea!

Yea.Idea are totaly stoled from SalemTheDEADMMO
and...you already have milk|wine|bear|tea to "reverse" satiations ???

Vigilance wrote:Look at the playerbase right now. Compare it to past worlds. Look at all of the complaining and whining about how unfun character progression this world is.

1.Remove Satiations
2.Buff Salt crystals to ~20-25% Hunger reduction per crystal
3.Make impossible or really hard to palisade natural resourses or make mountain biom "non-buildable' so you cant build structures on it.
4.Remake<>Rebalance Siedge mechanics.Make palisades much less efficient etc...
5.Stop adding more GRIND to the game->add more events with PvP aspects like meteorite.Add more reasons to go outside walls of an village.
6.Remove ocean,gib fast travel
IMO
After removing Satiations , hunger will be the only one limiting source of progression.If you buff saltcrystals and made natural resources impossible to palisade, there will be nice fightings for salt and other resourses like Icicle = FUN
After making siedge working ...well nothing to say here...siedge should be there,its fun and without it ppl feel themself SAFE in the palisade.IMO there sould not be SAFE place in the hearthlands.
More PvP = More Deaths = More Destruction = More Drama = More FUN
More active gameplay!
Confirmed best ninja in the game
Hokage of Hidden Leaf Village
Darkins

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:01 am

Darkins wrote:1.Remove Satiations
2.Buff Salt crystals to ~20-25% Hunger reduction per crystal
3.Make impossible or really hard to palisade natural resourses or make mountain biom "non-buildable' so you cant build structures on it.
4.Remake<>Rebalance Siedge mechanics.Make palisades much less efficient etc...
5.Stop adding more GRIND to the game->add more events with PvP aspects like meteorite.Add more reasons to go outside walls of an village.
6.Remove ocean,gib fast travel

2. get rid of it for all i care, or just turn it into another spice, but don't see that happening. buffing? you crazy. the idea is to get rid of imbalanced stat grinding
3. would be great. still don't think it's going to create the conflict you want.
4. No issue with rebalancing palisades as long as we don't go into that whole "all palies bashable." Brick walls need a huge nerf, too. Stone was being quarried by the bronze age and made brick walls obsolete for city and fort defense. Wooden structures were used for temporary camps and short term solutions until long term could be resolved.
5. Nothing wrong with more grind if we do get those other events and reasons to play between the grind.
6. Oceans would be great if the land wasn't so damn far apart (FYI, can travel across oceans now with charters.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas