Food & Level Scaling Rework

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Food & Level Scaling Rework

Postby pppp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:16 am

Meh, cap all the shit into mediocre zone. Scrap the very idea of a titan. Basically cap the risks of engaging in pvp, making fighter chars expendable for every player, not only for top factions. Balance it so the cap can be reached in a month as a newb and in a week as a pro. Then redirect all the grind into land grab activity as suggested there, while placing a meaningful cost function (upkeep) over total land grabbed.

Edit: Cap not necessarily as a hard cap. It could be any kind of indirect cap, like an asymptotic diminishing returns function or whatever kind of cap on feps/lps used.
pppp

Postby Darkins » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:51 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Darkins wrote:1.Remove Satiations
2.Buff Salt crystals to ~20-25% Hunger reduction per crystal

2. get rid of it for all i care, or just turn it into another spice, but don't see that happening. buffing? you crazy. the idea is to get rid of imbalanced stat grinding

Imbalanced....ROFL
Lets ged rid of meteorites = they provide imbalanced Ql grinding
Lets ged rid of... so on
I dont see any imbalance in saltcrystals,i want to see them as valuable resource worth fighting for.
Coz there are not many thing in haven that really worth fighting.

(The idea was given by jorb in this topic is to make leveling by eating food less painful =_=)
(My idea is to create some competitive gameplay not only in quality grind)

jorb wrote:TLDR: You would be much freer to level up, the food system would be less of a pain
Confirmed best ninja in the game
Hokage of Hidden Leaf Village
Darkins

Postby Granger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:02 pm

pppp wrote:Meh, cap all the shit into mediocre zone. Scrap the very idea of a titan. Basically cap the risks of engaging in pvp, making fighter chars expendable for every player, not only for top factions. Balance it so the cap can be reached in a month as a newb and in a week as a pro. Then redirect all the grind into land grab activity as suggested there, while placing a meaningful cost function (upkeep) over total land grabbed.

Edit: Cap not necessarily as a hard cap. It could be any kind of indirect cap, like an asymptotic diminishing returns function or whatever kind of cap on feps/lps used.

This. Possibly with a little longer time frame (factor 3 would be reasonable, which should give about two weeks of recovery from death for a pro), but this.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Granger wrote:
pppp wrote:Meh, cap all the shit into mediocre zone. Scrap the very idea of a titan. Basically cap the risks of engaging in pvp, making fighter chars expendable for every player, not only for top factions. Balance it so the cap can be reached in a month as a newb and in a week as a pro. Then redirect all the grind into land grab activity as suggested there, while placing a meaningful cost function (upkeep) over total land grabbed.

This. Possibly with a little longer time frame (factor 3 would be reasonable, which should give about two weeks of recovery from death for a pro), but this.

Amazing idea. But doesn't even need to be a cap, just find an equation that turns the cap area is to a near plateau so any grinding after that point is rewarded in tiny, tiny increments that carry little overall weight.

The only thing this will do is make people create and level up more than 1 character at a time, which will still take lots of resources compared to simply keep grinding said stats on 1 character.
Zentetsuken

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Darkins wrote:Lets ged rid of meteorites = they provide imbalanced Ql grinding

I've never laid eyes on a meteor because I just can't bring myself to get into bed with factions that want to exploit every mechanic they run across willy-nilly with no thought of development of the game. I imagine at this point in the game I could probably meteor hunt and find little competition for it, but yeah, quality levels of meteors, L10 nodes, etc etc could really use a dampener, or the quality bumps from spiraling need to be dampened so things don't climb so fast. As I said, grind is fine as long as there's something to do in the middle. I should also add a second qualifier of "as long as it's not a huge daily chore."

Darkins wrote:I dont see any imbalance in saltcrystals,i want to see them as valuable resource worth fighting for.

If there were enough to satisfy the needs of the winner and more to go around via market, sure, I'd agree with you. As it is with the current mechanics, nope, I can't agree. I am willing to change my mind if conditions change. I do realize it's one of the changes jorb has proposed, but not one I can readily agree with.

To that point, I'd rather see the current hunger mechanic go over satiations. The big flaw with legacy was that you could burn away the hunger for overeating leading to abuses. Either system is going to be a time gate. When character progress is determined by how many hours you can put in front of a keyboard, and the central mechanics are about bloating numbers, as a developer, you have to do something to smooth that out.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm

there is a legit fuck ton of salt to go around nobody gives a fuck about them tho.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Lyrroth » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

wonder-ass wrote:there is a legit fuck ton of salt to go around nobody gives a fuck about them tho.

after this thread i noticed some faction boys running around for salt and preparing. u sure?
Lyrroth

Postby pppp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Zentetsuken wrote: find an equation that turns the cap area is to a near plateau so any grinding after that point is rewarded in tiny, tiny increments that carry little overall weight.

There is a number of choices:
Potjeh wrote:Why still insistence on a root based formula? x * stat / (stat + z) would be much better.

though I consider to be nicer exponential functions type 1-exp(-a*stat), where a is positive real number

then there is a host of more complicated functions in 1/(x^n) family and many more other functions.

Zentetsuken wrote:The only thing this will do is make people create and level up more than 1 character at a time, which will still take lots of resources compared to simply keep grinding said stats on 1 character.

It there has to be a bonus for being a nolifer then I so much prefer this than having a titan. Because that means 5 smart casuals can still balance out a nolifer with 5 fighters.
pppp

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:36 pm

wonder-ass wrote:there is a legit fuck ton of salt to go around nobody gives a fuck about them tho.

That's because it's not worth jack shit this world. Look how readily available it was last world.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Lyrroth wrote:

after this thread i noticed some faction boys running around for salt and preparing. u sure?

and those same people will quit again once they realise nobodys gonna bother fighting them and then you can grab the same fuck ton of salt nobody gives a fuck about.

this update is a step in the right direction tho @jorb.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas