Food & Level Scaling Rework

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Food & Level Scaling Rework

Postby Archiplex » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:06 am

Hey, one thing to remember if health is made this much lower is the impact it will have on committing crimes; that is, the 1 shp damage dealt to people upon committing a crime is now a much more significant thing to be dealt with.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Granger » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:12 am

Archiplex wrote:Hey, one thing to remember if health is made this much lower is the impact it will have on committing crimes; that is, the 1 shp damage dealt to people upon committing a crime is now a much more significant thing to be dealt with.

Good.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MrBunzy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:58 am

Granger wrote:
Archiplex wrote:Hey, one thing to remember if health is made this much lower is the impact it will have on committing crimes; that is, the 1 shp damage dealt to people upon committing a crime is now a much more significant thing to be dealt with.

Good.

Why do you want to discourage people from stealing? I recall making squads of theft alts with nothing but con to help loot back in legacy and it wasn't super fun.
If anything we should encourage people to actually commit crime for material gain, rather than just raiding to destroy as much as possible. Compare destroying a house, which costs 1 hp, to searching through every container in a house and grabbing various valuables, costing potentially hundreds of hp. The game certainly seems to be guiding players towards the destructive rout at the moment and I see that as a bad thing.
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby Archiplex » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:17 am

I think it's a good time to give it a bit of a rework; destroying a container with many items should, for example, apply much more of the penalty in comparison to tresspassing or theft.

Heck, I don't think tresspassing should apply any penalty.

Basically, the 1 hp per scent thing is sort of inherently a bandaid fix, and a proper system for it should be added sooner than later.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Vigilance » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:55 am

strongly agree with trespassing not costing hp but tbh i'd be down to keep 1 shp on everything else so its not free to just ctrl alt click someone's grind on the ground.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby MrBunzy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:11 am

Vigilance wrote:strongly agree with trespassing not costing hp but tbh i'd be down to keep 1 shp on everything else so its not free to just ctrl alt click someone's grind on the ground.

But then people could leave infinite trespass scents to try and crash the server, needs to be some sort of cost. And it only costs 1 shp to dump an entire cupboard of someone's grind onto the ground via destroying it, I don't see why this should be so much easier than stealing the contents.
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby Archiplex » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:33 am

MrBunzy wrote:
Vigilance wrote:strongly agree with trespassing not costing hp but tbh i'd be down to keep 1 shp on everything else so its not free to just ctrl alt click someone's grind on the ground.

But then people could leave infinite trespass scents to try and crash the server, needs to be some sort of cost. And it only costs 1 shp to dump an entire cupboard of someone's grind onto the ground via destroying it, I don't see why this should be so much easier than stealing the contents.

That should be easy enough to bypass by just having trespass (or any scent, while we're at it) not create extra scents on the floor, and instead have them increase the severity of a previous scent.

Basically, other theft and vandalism, a scent doesn't need to actually show exactly where something happened, and thus creating multiple 'scent' harvestables is silly. They should just create a generic 'zone' where the scents were comitted that you can go to collect them all from, or one very large scent if they repeatedly entered and left.

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:38 pm

If the only concern is preventing a billion scents being botted, then each criminal act could just have a % chance to trigger the 1 SHP cost.
DDDsDD999

Postby Tamalak » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:28 pm

I oppose both changes.

Such an extreme change in combat formula pushes the game dynamic from 'diminishing returns' to 'pointless to advance'. Your combat effectiveness is already the fourth root of FEP invested, since your stat is sqrt(invested FEP) and then your combat effectiveness is sqrt(stat). This would make it the eighth root!

As for satiations.. I must be the only one who likes them as they are, just take out the randomness from them! Restoring satiations with drinks is more satisfying than 'buffing' would be, as well as feeling more LARPy, and without negative satiations we'd go back to the days of eating a cupboardful of cheese in one go.

I think if you wanted to pump the breaks on crazy amounts of advancement, look at the scaling of items, not stats. Look at what the pros are eating massive amounts of and ask why they're so much better. One suggestion would be to more sharply increase the growth time of crops according to their quality.. so a q90 wheat is 3x as good as q10 but also takes 3x as long to grow. Same with gestation and milk production of animals. If there was some kind of resistance to skyrocketing qualities of domestic stuff, forage would also be more useful.
Tamalak

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:33 am

Tamalak wrote:I think if you wanted to pump the breaks on crazy amounts of advancement, look at the scaling of items, not stats. Look at what the pros are eating massive amounts of and ask why they're so much better. One suggestion would be to more sharply increase the growth time of crops according to their quality.. so a q90 wheat is 3x as good as q10 but also takes 3x as long to grow. Same with gestation and milk production of animals. If there was some kind of resistance to skyrocketing qualities of domestic stuff, forage would also be more useful.

I think we would all like to see systems to encourage actively interfacing with the game and playing, not to encourage more people to run to bots to get done what they need to do.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas