Make questgivers immortal

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Make questgivers immortal

Postby Donjuan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 am

to devs about the problem:

Quest list of my main personage is full of failed quests because smb cut down the questgiver tree or chiped the questgiver stone. That makes me nervious because I feel my personage to be some kind of looser.
Please fix that subject, there can be a lot of variants:
1) If the tree/stone is cut down the questgiver shifts automatically to another tree/stone nearby (questgiver still alive, current quests don't fail/abandon).
or
2) Make natural wonders to be questgivers instead of trees/stones.
OR at least:
3) Disablle getting quests automatically (give the opportunity to finish one questline and then take or not take another quest).
Donjuan

Re: Make questgivers immortal

Postby Aceb » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Beside solution #1 which was proposed A LOT OF TIME, #2 and #3 would make it a lot worse and make yourself hate it. =)

Also, do not mark your questgivers with runestones or claim them to prevent killing.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:57 pm

This issue comes up frequently, to the point I'm tempted to close this thread and point you to every other discussion on the matter. We ask players to do a bit of digging on their thoughts because some of these matters do come up frequently, and nobody likes to see the same thing come up every few months when it's been discussed over and over again.

As a player, I do get the frustration on the matter. If you have a particular spirit that has been easy questing, it can really be annoying because it breaks up some chains. It really sucks losing an "easy" credo quest when the credo you're working on is fully of quests that are typically a huge pain in the ass. It's a pain as some of the players here seriously optimize quest running, and a tree getting killed throws a huge monkey wrench into their system. (See users with "gerdgen did nothing wrong" and the related thread in announcements.)

I think the system could use some changes, but at this point, the right argument hasn't been made, and a good suggestion with a workable solution hasn't come up.

#3: Quests don't go anywhere unless someone removes the object that gave the quest. Should it be an option? Probably, but I don't see many people using it. It's easy to just let quests sit passively until the time it's worth the effort to complete and turn in a bunch. The 'need' to immediately pay attention to such prompts is a psychological thing that you can train yourself out of. Shame on the rest of the Internet for training us into such triggers.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:56 pm

No. its a sandbox game deal with it. just make the tree get up and fight back and make it equal to a troll that way youd at least need to do it with a somewhat strong character.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby cellites » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:59 am

there is always the option of giving a warning when someone starts to chip/chop a quest giver, and if the person doesn't stop it would be counted as a low level crime.
cellites

Return to Critique & Ideas