Volcanos/lava biomes

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Volcanos/lava biomes

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:46 pm

Mountains need a rare volcano, caves need a lava biome with flowing lakes and rivers of magma. Give those sulfurous waters a reason to exist. The big plus is ambience, I think, though others might have other takeawys based on what was added with it, and possible mechanics added.

Some foraged items could be added, maybe increased gems (which is actually a thing) and ore. Could be dangerous to be there too long, though as it'd be hotter and riskier. Could be some events like random pyroclastic flows, eruptions (spew small boulders across the map, possibly including ore and gems). Add in a new fantastical beastie or two, maybe more likely to find slimes or boreworms (and decrease elsewhere?)

(Note: found a very short mention of it in another thread, like just the words "volcanic biome." Thought it might use some more discussion.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Re: Volcanos/lava biomes

Postby SiO2 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 pm

volcanic level is pretty much classic of games inspired by the Dwarf Fortress. Im surprised it was not implemented here.
Bronies for life /)
SiO2

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Ever play Dungeon Keeper? It had lava levels a decade before anyone even thought of DF. "Lava levels," I'd say, were inspired by Dante.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 pm

well, that's kinda perfect example of "IDEA W/O WCGW (What can go wrong?)" - just imagine to discover a giant lava lake on you l4 mine). What a good immersion would it bring to gameplay - the neighbourghs around you already mined to l5 and dig precious ores and you stuck on l3 forever, because of this dump luck.
And is you really want to make it w/o hurting ppl potentially, take a look here (there are already a plenty of ideas implemented)
tl;dr immersion shoudn't be over gameplay.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:02 pm

And what's the difference between what you perceive will be implemented and the current issue of bodies of water being in the way?

I was thinking this would more be an issue on the higher levels only if there is an actual volcano nearby, in which case you probably wouldn't be settling there to farm and all that, but might make a mining outpost there.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:29 am

Would be cool on the lower lvls, same with glowing rock crystals and such
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby SiO2 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:28 am

☼Magma forge☼
Bronies for life /)
SiO2

Postby vatas » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:00 pm

I don't have much to say about this but I just have to get out of my system that Finnish word for volcano is "tulivuori" which just means "fire mountain."

Now I remember that people had good reason to live around Vesuvius even if they knew it has chance to erupt. Volcanic ash is great fertilizer, containing abundance of otherwise rare elements that plants need to thrive.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Ants » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:16 pm

I like it. There's probably more important stuff that should be worked on before the devs try to add a whole new biome though.

Enjoyment_2 wrote:well, that's kinda perfect example of "IDEA W/O WCGW (What can go wrong?)" - just imagine to discover a giant lava lake on you l4 mine). What a good immersion would it bring to gameplay - the neighbourghs around you already mined to l5 and dig precious ores and you stuck on l3 forever, because of this dump luck.
And is you really want to make it w/o hurting ppl potentially, take a look here (there are already a plenty of ideas implemented)
tl;dr immersion shoudn't be over gameplay.

Dump water on the lava, turn it into obsidian. Or go dig a minehole somewhere that isn't likely to be above a lake of lava. Or maybe the devs could add a fancy magical lava resistant type of wood to build lava knarrs.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Vigilance » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:06 am

im super disappointed this wasnt a feature of l8/l9 already.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas