Diminished returns for PVP stats

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Diminished returns for PVP stats

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:34 am

Archiplex wrote: D. won't just kill me outright and thus erase a ton of time's worth of effort so i could 'try' pvp.

Don't buy rage. I would have to dig up exact patch. This was a change made early this world if I recall correctly. Effectively, those without rage cannot be attacked while KO'd, so are not likely to be killed*. It's not a death 'opt out,' just makes it hard to die of anything short of player mistake or intentional suicide. And you can still die in PvP due to player mistake if you keep fighting until the concussion from the KO would kill you. There was a possibility with a player wielding a B12, but I've been told that has been fixed. (I still won't rule out other bugs hiding.)

Astarisk wrote:As I've said earlier everything has the diminishing returns of a sqrt function -- we just need to talk about when the severe drop off should happen. I could be wrong in my math here as my background is not in math.

I've said this for years, and even gone into the math to show what it takes to get a 1% advantage over an oppenent when we're looking at numbers like 1000 or 5000. Of course, this all lacks any 'proof' of being an effective means of diminishing returns when quality of foods and gear are constantly scaling upwards, thus moving the bar up constantly. Potjeh is right:

Potjeh wrote:Any function without an asymptote is unsustainable in the long term.

I've been arguing to move to a logarithmic function for nearly as long. The curve is very mutable based on dev needs, and allows for "infinite gain" without overburdening the player population as a whole. Of course, it is functionally little different than stat caps. Once you approach the asymptote, the necessary gains for any progress are so massive (on an exponential scale) that you might as well be happy where you're at. (Again, quality increasing constantly does move the precision between players around a bit, so one can't just sit a X STR and CON and be relatively sure they can survive a combat vs someone with 20x the stats.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MadNomad » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:31 am

Duncan wrote:+1. 500+=1/2 efficiency, 1000+=1/4 eff, 2000+ =1/8 eff, etc.

510 would be worse than 490 in this case so they should definetly use some other formula for calculating the effectiveness
MadNomad

Postby azrid » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:38 am

Ozzy123 wrote:I think you people should try PvP before making threads about pvp, it will be better both for people that already know what they're talking about and also for devs.

translation: only 10 people who already quit the game/forum can talk about this issue

Its like you want this game to fail.
People who want to get into pvp should be listened to as well for what it would take for them to be able to do it.
azrid

Postby CaveHermit » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:28 am

Ozzy123 wrote:I think you people should try PvP before making threads about pvp, it will be better both for people that already know what they're talking about and also for devs.

+1 for ozzy. devs will hear retards what never was fight only hunt animals. And later we have combat like was 1y ago in w10 what jorb change for 1week and noone was like it and he remove it.
CaveHermit

Postby Astarisk » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:38 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Astarisk wrote:As I've said earlier everything has the diminishing returns of a sqrt function -- we just need to talk about when the severe drop off should happen. I could be wrong in my math here as my background is not in math.

I've said this for years, and even gone into the math to show what it takes to get a 1% advantage over an oppenent when we're looking at numbers like 1000 or 5000. Of course, this all lacks any 'proof' of being an effective means of diminishing returns when quality of foods and gear are constantly scaling upwards, thus moving the bar up constantly. Potjeh is right:

In my belief I think jorb has it right when he's talking about health and damage in that thread I posted earlier. The advantage may be tiny but once you overcome the threshold where damage > armor the person with the highest strength and armor tends to come out ahead greatly. Looking into how damage and armor works with one another and greatly reducing the HP so its closer to the lower end will do wonders.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:28 am

Astarisk wrote:In my belief I think jorb has it right when he's talking about health and damage in that thread I posted earlier.

I think it's a step in the right direction, and will flatten the curve tremendously, but can still put a large burden on those that "can't keep up" when the numbers start hitting some range. If the true intent is to make a world that doesn't need a reset, a stable system needs to be considered.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ants » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:32 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Archiplex wrote: D. won't just kill me outright and thus erase a ton of time's worth of effort so i could 'try' pvp.

Don't buy rage. I would have to dig up exact patch. This was a change made early this world if I recall correctly. Effectively, those without rage cannot be attacked while KO'd, so are not likely to be killed*. It's not a death 'opt out,' just makes it hard to die of anything short of player mistake or intentional suicide. And you can still die in PvP due to player mistake if you keep fighting until the concussion from the KO would kill you. There was a possibility with a player wielding a B12, but I've been told that has been fixed. (I still won't rule out other bugs hiding.)

Erm... how do you PVP without rage? I don't think you can aggro people without it.

I quoted Headchef in the OP and I'm pretty sure he has combat experience.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby MightySheep » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:31 am

I thought it already had, just not reflected in the visible numbers. I wish it was reflected in the numbers then people would whine less.
MightySheep

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:18 am

Ants wrote:Erm... how do you PVP without rage? I don't think you can aggro people without it.

All i can do is provide hearsay on this, but if the big PvPers are to be believed, there's not much trouble with that. You don't, but they will quite readily engage with anyone near the fight. That's my understanding.
MagicManICT

Postby Vigilance » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:04 am

Ants wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:

Erm... how do you PVP without rage? I don't think you can aggro people without it.

you're kidding right? you don't need rage if you're in a giant snowball pvp format. if you just posture aggressively you'll get aggro'd by at least one idiot. stack coins on said idiot and watch more idiots aggro you.

ta-da
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas