Diminished returns for PVP stats

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Diminished returns for PVP stats

Postby Ants » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:04 am

Headchef wrote:I understand the sentiment now is that people don't want to fight because everyones stronger but as I said - make 500 stats be the treshold and beyond that you can still increase but very significantly diminished returns so it's basically just for people who get excited about a number going higher but no real use.

Think this might be good for PVP?
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Re: Diminished returns for PVP stats

Postby Duncan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:38 pm

500+=1/2 efficiency, 1000+=1/4 eff, 2000+ =1/8 eff, etc ?
Last edited by Duncan on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan

Postby Astarisk » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:27 pm

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=66395

There already is a diminishing return built into hafen on pretty much all things. Quality is the sqrt(q/10) to determine the bonuses items applies. Currently combat is like the 4rth root currently. At the end of it all this type of diminishing return already exists, all that's left is just to talk about the severity of the drop off now.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Archiplex » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:39 pm

Astarisk wrote:http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=66395

There already is a diminishing return built into hafen on pretty much all things. Quality is the sqrt(q/10) to determine the bonuses items applies. Currently combat is like the 4rth root currently. At the end of it all this type of diminishing return already exists, all that's left is just to talk about the severity of the drop off now.

That's not how it currently works. That was an idea put forward by jorb.

That said, yes, already suggested... by the devs, even.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Astarisk » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Archiplex wrote:

That's exactly how it works. All combat and quality in this game is based off of a sqrt function which has this idea of diminishing returns built right into it.

Here is a quick graph of a sqrt function.

The function for combat openings is a 4rth root function if I remember correctly which looks like this.

The game has the idea of diminishing returns built into it natively. We just are talking about the severity of the drop off which can be discussed in the thread jorb mentioned.

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Combat damage isn't quite a 4th root function, but I don't think it's that far off, either. Not all of it gets a 4th root.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ozzy123 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:03 pm

I think you people should try PvP before making threads about pvp, it will be better both for people that already know what they're talking about and also for devs.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Archiplex » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:09 pm

Ozzy123 wrote:I think you people should try PvP before making threads about pvp, it will be better both for people that already know what they're talking about and also for devs.

I would love to if it was possible to A. find anyone to fight B. fight someone who hasn't been playing since the start of the world and thus totally eclipses me in every possible method or C. isn't planning to completely wipe everything i've developed in the game if they win, and hell, D. won't just kill me outright and thus erase a ton of time's worth of effort so i could 'try' pvp.

There is everything fundamentally flawed with it

Astarisk wrote:
Archiplex wrote:

That's exactly how it works. All combat and quality in this game is based off of a sqrt function which has this idea of diminishing returns built right into it.

Here is a quick graph of a sqrt function.

The function for combat openings is a 4rth root function if I remember correctly which looks like this.

The game has the idea of diminishing returns built into it natively. We just are talking about the severity of the drop off which can be discussed in the thread jorb mentioned.

Im very familiar how the game works; my point is that damage, health, and opening values (which you can see if you just head over to the wiki page) do not function off of 4th roots.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Astarisk » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Archiplex wrote:Im very familiar how the game works; my point is that damage, health, and opening values (which you can see if you just head over to the wiki page) do not function off of 4th roots.

A 4rth root behaves much like that of a sqrt, it just experiences a drop off much sooner. I don't see the point you are making.

Damage is: weapon damage * sqrt(sqrt(str * quality)/10)

Health is : 100 * sqrt(con/10)

Openings is a bit more complicated as you get to factor in the fact that you receive less openings the higher it already is so for simplicity ill just remove the constants.

Openings: sqrt(sqrt(attack/defense)) which can be simplified to the fourth root if you know how math works as its the equivalent of x^(1/2) * x^(1/2) which simplifies to x^(1/4)

As I've said earlier everything has the diminishing returns of a sqrt function -- we just need to talk about when the severe drop off should happen. I could be wrong in my math here as my background is not in math.

Astarisk

Postby Potjeh » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:19 am

Any function without an asymptote is unsustainable in the long term.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas