Death and Stats-Loss

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Death and Stats-Loss

Postby Groniak » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:20 am

I believe the current system is rather too harsh for player death...Playing and grinding for 4 months then dying and loosing over half of your Stats\Skills\LP sure feels like a kick in the nuts right now.

Back in the legacy era, new chars would throw that slider to full change to gain max LP, then once they reached a level they considered acceptable, they would switch that to full tradition and go explore the world and play the game. Dying on full trad wasn't that bad at all, so people were much less scared to go out and have some player interactions. + you could die on full trad, inherit then go back to full change until you were ready to go play again. Not to mention you could eat infinite amount of food back then, making recovering from death a rather manageable thing.

With the removal of the slider system, not only are we stuck with a slower learn speed, but then when we die we still lose 55% of our LP minimum, if we recover body and skull etc. We can't go back to 'catch-up mode' by going back to full change for more LP. AND we also cant eat food like we used to because of satiation + hunger mechanics

Losing 20% of stats\skill\LP without body or skull, 15% with skull or body, or 10% if you manage to get both back seems like it would encourage a lot of folks to move around and interact again.
This way dying still has consequences, but it also doesn't mean you will never return to your former glory as others have put it.
Groniak

Re: Death and Stats-Loss

Postby Aceb » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:39 pm

I dunno how you would wish to rework that without adding sliders back. It's as fine as it is now I think.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Granger » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Aceb wrote:It's as fine as it is now I think.

Not really, the long time critique of
endless character growth, open pvp, permadeath - pick two for a fun game. use all three if you want it to fail with the majority of players
is still valid.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Archiplex » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Granger wrote:
Aceb wrote:It's as fine as it is now I think.

Not really, the long time critique of
endless character growth, open pvp, permadeath - pick two for a fun game. use all three if you want it to fail with the majority of players
is still valid.

I agree to an extent; endless growth is the main problem here though, IMO.

That said, I completely disagree with OP in that death should be less punishing. A 10% loss in stats with everything returned/20% loss with nothing is so insignificant that it would make death itself almost meaningless.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Groniak » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Archiplex wrote:That said, I completely disagree with OP in that death should be less punishing. A 10% loss in stats with everything returned/20% loss with nothing is so insignificant that it would make death itself almost meaningless.

It might seem insignificant if you die on a weak character or if you die after a week or two, but if you play for months then die, the LP and stats loss is already exponential:
Die with 10k lp...you lost 1-2k, nothing there.....die with 100 million total LP, and you still lost 10-20 million LP, which IS a setback.

Currently as is stands, the only people who die, are the ones engaging in pvp pretty much. And that doesn't last very long as we seen this world....after one side loses too many times, all their chars are too weak to become competitive again and people just give-up on fighting. Dying from animals is also almost impossible unless you are unlucky enough to walk on an adder and stack a buncha bites, since animals stop attacking you unless you have rage skill. So in a sense Death is already meaningless, because nobody risks dying except those who chose to, and those don't stick around for long.

Thus i would rather see more deaths with fewer penalties, than seeing no deaths at all.
Groniak

Postby Fierce_Deity » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:17 am

Death has to mean something in this game, but there are other ways to approach it than the inheritance system.

One solution to consider is giving our descendant(the one who inherits) a rather hefty wound upon coming to life. The wound places debuffs on all stats, and heals slowly over time. As the wound decreases, more of your stats return. Wound could be healed with numen system, but maybe for a limited amount per day. I think a 2 week recovery time is plenty harsh, but that can be debated on. Dying with the wound existing could be more punishing, or damage your connection with your ancestor or something so you can't use the 'A Prayer for Strength' as effectively.
There also should prolly be a flat 10% loss to stats, so there is some permanent loss.

So tldr: 10% stat loss on death, large wound that time gates recovery of stats
Fierce_Deity

Postby pawnchito » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:47 am

Fierce_Deity wrote:Death has to mean something in this game, but there are other ways to approach it than the inheritance system.

One solution to consider is giving our descendant(the one who inherits) a rather hefty wound upon coming to life. The wound places debuffs on all stats, and heals slowly over time. As the wound decreases, more of your stats return. Wound could be healed with numen system, but maybe for a limited amount per day. I think a 2 week recovery time is plenty harsh, but that can be debated on. Dying with the wound existing could be more punishing, or damage your connection with your ancestor or something so you can't use the 'A Prayer for Strength' as effectively.
There also should prolly be a flat 10% loss to stats, so there is some permanent loss.

So tldr: 10% stat loss on death, large wound that time gates recovery of stats

This is a huge part of what draws me to the game. You have to have an actual penalty to death. Otherwise who cares.
pawnchito

Postby Vigilance » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:40 am

i think we either need to hard commit to permadeath being inevitable, soften it but make it almost unavoidable, and make dying not suck mega dick (haha discoveries haha combat discoveries)

oooor we need to make death such a difficult thing to reach and make it crushing when it happens.

its gotta be one or the other in my opinion and we've been riding in the middle for a while
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:45 am

Death has no meaning other than to brag about killing someone.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Pretty sure you inherit the same percentage of total LP/FEP as you would after dying with full trad in Legacy.
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas