Alternative use for Nidbanes/Siege Defense

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Alternative use for Nidbanes/Siege Defense

Postby Archiplex » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:46 pm

Nidbanes are pretty useless right now and have already lost their original use: being a method for new players to "get back" at people who harrass them.

While I know siege is next to impossible currently, I think that if there are more ways to provide defenses for a village, that the current restrictions on the siege system could be uplifted as players gain more and more options to defend themselves- so, take the below with an assumption that if it's implemented, there would be some sort of look at the offensive side of sieging to make it more interactive/easier.

As for the suggestion:

Nidbanes, or an alternative form of nidbanes, should instead act as protectors of a claim rather than spirits used to enact vengeance and justice. They should be created in the same method (create a nidbane fetter, and place it upon the runed dolmen), but without requiring a scent. Nidbanes without a scent instead roam around periodically in the claim it is created in; If there's a village claim, nidbanes should be a bit weaker than if there is no village claim. There should be a maximum amount of nidbanes that can exist on any claim.

Nidbanes should periodically roam around, and 'protect' a village from would-be criminals. Each nidbane should have a duration based off the quality of the fetter, and stats based off the stats of the creator of the nidbane. When someone trespasses on a property, nidbanes should swarm the hearthling, but not attack- if they create any rummaging, theft, assault or vandalism the nidbanes should immediately begin an attack on the perp.

Nidbanes can be slain, but rather than shattering the fetter, it should 'deactivate' the fetter and cut it's quality down (thus reducing the maximum duration), until the fetter is placed again. You should also be able to 'feed' a fetter scents belonging to a particular person, granting that nidbane higher and higher stats if the person who created the scent has higher stats, again weighted by the severity of the offense. Feeding a nidbane many different heinous scents would cause the nidbane to 'break free' of merely protecting the claim, and act much as they do now- powerful, singular beasts that chase down the person who committed so many different crimes against a single village. The nidbane should be untargetable against anyone but the perp, although only one such nidbane should be able to hunt a person down at a time.

For village claims: Nidbanes should become inactive if too many characters oathed to that village are currently online; essentially meaning they are mostly guardians of a place whenever people in that village are offline, or for hermits.

Essentially, Nidbanes become protectors of villages, and if a particular person continually harrasses and commits crimes against one village, they would turn into much as they are now, except more powerful and less spammy.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Re: Alternative use for Nidbanes/Siege Defense

Postby Granger » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:12 am

IMHO your suggestion has the same defect that made Nidbanes a casket birth for casuals seeking revenge: basing them on quality and the character generating them... that combined with the endless growth cancer we have makes them perfect for factions (as the mechanic gets balanced on the top players who generate them, to make them not OP) and from this basically useless for the rest.

But it would be nice if we could create a haunted house...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Archiplex » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:40 am

I could see them being non-quality based as well, or rather than feeding specific nidbanes scents, you feed the dolmen and it empowers the nidbanes tied to it.

That way, the only thing quality impacts is how often you need to remake nidbanes, and not necessarily their effectiveness.

Edit: Above, and making so that the increase in powers that nidbanes get from a dolmen is instead tied to the DIFFERENCE in your stats and those of the criminal.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:54 am

Another way that would make nidbanes actually useful is to make them more annoying instead of "dangerous".
Like it would strip you of your belongings, drop them on the ground, drop stuff from containers near your HF etc.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:07 am

shubla wrote:Another way that would make nidbanes actually useful is to make them more annoying instead of "dangerous".
Like it would strip you of your belongings, drop them on the ground, drop stuff from containers near your HF etc.

ye i TOTALLY couldnt abuse this and harass hermits and noobs gr8 idea!
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:10 am

wonder-ass wrote:
shubla wrote:Another way that would make nidbanes actually useful is to make them more annoying instead of "dangerous".

ye i TOTALLY couldnt abuse this and harass hermits and noobs gr8 idea!

I just said some possible ideas. Its not like they would be the only options. Of course, if devs decided to turn nidbanes annoying, they would make it so they couldn't be abused easily.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Return to Critique & Ideas