exp required to maintain a realm should scale

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

exp required to maintain a realm should scale

Postby Ants » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:06 pm

What if the exp requirement scaled based on the amount of players who logged on in the past month and the total exp gained in the past month? It might make it easier to maintain a realm as the population dwindles. Thoughts?
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Re: exp required to maintain a realm should scale

Postby abt79 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 pm

I dunno, I think the current system is fine as is. If your realm has a lower population and can't keep up with upkeep costs, be less ambitious with its size/buffs
abt79

Postby Ants » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 pm

abt79 wrote:I dunno, I think the current system is fine as is. If your realm has a lower population and can't keep up with upkeep costs, be less ambitious with its size/buffs

Doesn't it kill the point of irminsuls and monoliths if nobody has enough experience to fight over territory, though? Correct me if I'm wrong but with the system as it is, every realm would have to remain small to survive.
Ants

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:54 am

doesn't it kill the point of realms if the best way to keep the per capita XP gain high is to kill/force out all the local hermits, and the best way to attack a realm is a bot that spams characters that don't contribute
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Ants » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:doesn't it kill the point of realms if the best way to keep the per capita XP gain high is to kill/force out all the local hermits, and the best way to attack a realm is a bot that spams characters that don't contribute

I was thinking the game could take into account the total exp gained and number of players serverwide and it would scale the same way for everyone.

It is true that the most active realm might spam characters to sink smaller realms, though. What if it just scaled by total exp gained? Forcing out hermits all over the map seems impractical and impossible to bot. Exp should be roughly proportional to the number of active players, right?
Ants

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:49 am

I think that realms should wither away if players living in them quit and that there is nothing wrong with it.
Overall, I think that having large realms was/is too easy. I'd rather have many smaller/medium ones than like 1 or 2 in the whole continent.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Vigilance » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Ants wrote:Exp should be roughly proportional to the number of active players, right?

not if active players are bots

if im running six or seven different bots that literally do not gain exp save for two or three odd experience events per day this is going to impact the proposed system detecting what values should be gathered
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby svino » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:50 am

shubla wrote:I think that realms should wither away if players living in them quit and that there is nothing wrong with it.
Overall, I think that having large realms was/is too easy. I'd rather have many smaller/medium ones than like 1 or 2 in the whole continent.

First of all, what's the point of having several smaller kingdoms? Who benefits from having 10 different kingdoms per continent, all with no buffs? If you have a small area of influence, you wont even be able to support 2 buffs at max level without getting completely drained, unless you personally are questing 24/7.

If you wanted more smaller realms, you would have to make it easier to support buffs than it currently is. The only continent that can hold max buffs is the south continent, only because it has enough players to sustain it. If there were 10 different kingdoms there, all of them would have literally no buffs, making kingdoms completely redundant. (Except maybe for some territorial fighting, which wouldn't happen anyway cause realm cairn fighting is cancer)
svino

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:06 am

svino wrote:First of all, what's the point of having several smaller kingdoms? Who benefits from having 10 different kingdoms per continent, all with no buffs? If you have a small area of influence, you wont even be able to support 2 buffs at max level without getting completely drained, unless you personally are questing 24/7.

If players were allowed to build the buffs they wanted for just the authority upkeep, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing if there were more kingdoms. As it is, having as few kingdoms as can maximize buffs is the order with the buffs tied to various landmarks.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby TurtleHermit » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:08 pm

This whole thread looks like a discussion if we should be able to maintain realms the same way we can maintain villages, so basically a single person run.
TurtleHermit

Return to Critique & Ideas