Let us aggro bats in trees

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Let us aggro bats in trees

Postby Ancaladar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:24 am

pls
Ancaladar

Re: Let us aggro bats in trees

Postby Jake024d » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:54 pm

Throw a rock at it
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

jorb wrote:I'm pretty badass.

jorb wrote:How many threads on this topic do we need?

Support the devs, #JORBTAR2016
Jake024d

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Jake024d wrote:Throw a rock at it

I'll be up front and say I've never tried, but can you even target one? I believe that client mods for trees make it theoretically possible, but ranged combat requires a line of sight that is also blocked by trees.

I've always just ran up to the tree at top speed and ran around it a couple times. If I can't aggro the bat, it will aggro me (usually).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DPblH » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 am

MagicManICT wrote:

I'll be up front and say I've never tried, but can you even target one? I believe that client mods for trees make it theoretically possible, but ranged combat requires a line of sight that is also blocked by trees.

I've always just ran up to the tree at top speed and ran around it a couple times. If I can't aggro the bat, it will aggro me (usually).

Ranged combat projectiles has some AoE, which can go through obstacles. For example you can trap mammoth in palisade box and throw a stone into wall segment to start battle.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby MadNomad » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:33 pm

MagicManICT wrote:

I'll be up front and say I've never tried, but can you even target one?

walking close to a creature or shooting next to it (even if you miss) makes it very likely to aggro you
MadNomad

Postby boreial » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:49 am

Tempted to say "not a bug" since it sort of makes sense to shoot, either bow or sling, at a target that is up in a tree. Don't really think you should be able to melee something that it arguably out of reach. this SHOULD be applicable to cliff fighting as well but that would be a whole new kettle of fish.
boreial

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:57 am

boreial wrote:Tempted to say "not a bug" since it sort of makes sense to shoot, either bow or sling, at a target that is up in a tree. Don't really think you should be able to melee something that it arguably out of reach. this SHOULD be applicable to cliff fighting as well but that would be a whole new kettle of fish.

While I think it's a sensible argument (and a good suggestion to change existing combat encounters), the whole "aggro target at range" of combat completely says otherwise. A character yelling something like "Come fight me!" is enough to create a combat relationship.

DPblH wrote:Ranged combat projectiles has some AoE, which can go through obstacles. For example you can trap mammoth in palisade box and throw a stone into wall segment to start battle.

Thanks for the information.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Fostik » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Probably creatures that are hanging or flying should not be limited with hitboxes to agro, or being agroed
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Return to Critique & Ideas