Make animals dangerous

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Make animals dangerous

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 am

Animals aren't dangerous enough after certain point in stats.
Animals should scale with opponents combat stats.
Like boars would have some bonus against players who have 100 uac instead of 1.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Re: Make animals dangerous

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:07 pm

shubla wrote:Animals aren't dangerous enough after certain point in stats.

but why? this is incredibly unrealistic and makes no sense
Why would their even be 500x stat super fox? That is so dumb. And what happens if somebody agrod this animal and then deagrod? Is the stats high until it despawns? What if more than 1 person agros? There is 100 reasons why this idea is super, super dumb.

A better way to make PvE harder would be to take the animals that are already meant to be threats like Trolls, Mammoths, Dungeon bosses, Whales, and maybe Bears and simply make them much, much harder to cheese. Make it so their meat and non-bone materials are relevant even in much later game recipes and make it so it's almost required to have more than 1 player versus these animals.

Also, rather than having the animals scale, it might be cooler and more fun to have them simply spawn in to the world at varrying stages of difficulty, like baby bears, enraged alpha bears, etc. etc.

They could be easily physically distinguished and greatly varying stats and butchering drops.
Zentetsuken

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
shubla wrote:Animals aren't dangerous enough after certain point in stats.

but why? this is incredibly unrealistic and makes no sense
Why would their even be 500x stat super fox? That is so dumb. And what happens if somebody agrod this animal and then deagrod? Is the stats high until it despawns? What if more than 1 person agros? There is 100 reasons why this idea is super, super dumb.

A better way to make PvE harder would be to take the animals that are already meant to be threats like Trolls, Mammoths, Dungeon bosses, Whales, and maybe Bears and simply make them much, much harder to cheese. Make it so their meat and non-bone materials are relevant even in much later game recipes and make it so it's almost required to have more than 1 player versus these animals.

Also, rather than having the animals scale, it might be cooler and more fun to have them simply spawn in to the world at varrying stages of difficulty, like baby bears, enraged alpha bears, etc. etc.

They could be easily physically distinguished and greatly varying stats and butchering drops.

Its stupid that animals become a pointless thing that are not dangerous at all that you can just 1 hit after certain point.

Your idea is very dumb, stupid and all that. If you add animals that you can only kill with like 5000 stats then 99% of players will never get to kill them.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:05 pm

The whole idea behind the invention of the spear, sling, bow and arrow, etc. were as tools to improve hunting and make it less dangerous. To this day, hunters don't go wrestling bears to get meat.

Not really much point in putting the effort into it, though, as long as people are going to come up with exploits to avoid having to take any risk.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Rexz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:10 pm

MagicManICT wrote:The whole idea behind the invention of the spear, sling, bow and arrow, etc. were as tools to improve hunting and make it less dangerous. To this day, hunters don't go wrestling bears to get meat.

Not really much point in putting the effort into it, though, as long as people are going to come up with exploits to avoid having to take any risk.

Perhaps make randomized events where animals are out for blood or can cause harm to you if you are not becareful

Examples:

• full moon for the wolves, they move faster
  • stampeed for wild aurochs
  • avalanche caused by wild mountain goats
  • rabid foxes that are faster and aggressive instead of passive
  • hungry bear, they have lowered HP but they have wider aggro radius
  • Other rare spawning mythical beasts that are harder with a larger aggro radius than most other creatures
Rexz

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:24 pm

1. Wolves already more dangerous on full moons.
2. They used to. not sure why it was changed (same for the aurochs).
3. Can't say I've been in avalanche conditions on a mountain ever so can't really comment here. Is this actually a thing in alpine conditions? (Note: probably not possible with the current server, though loftar would be the authority on it.) Might be interesting for a few near heart attacks.
4. Aggressive animals have a variable aggro range as is. See 1, as wolves on such conditions have attacked me from almost the other side of the map. Could be interesting to have a random bear here and there extra aggro and start in rage mode.

Still not sure any of this is helpful given the current state of the game.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby sMartins » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:45 pm

In my "perfect haven" envision there are passive and aggressive AI as well as catching game and fighting game.
AI has stamina and is susceptible of crits (related to the accuracy of the throwing weapons game), eg. landing a perfect shot, arrow at the lung of a deer should decrease almost entirely his stamina bar, same thing for bleeding out, etc … the game/challenge should be similiar to URW, persistence hunting, tiring the beast to catch it.

The fighting game should be very risky cause animals can sense your "soul", even an hungry big fox should attack you if it feels you are just a fresh char with already half HP and bleeding out.
On the other side even the most terrible bear should pay respect and run away when he encounters a "big soul" = AI Attacks you only when it has a chance to win.

But this is just random theory of how it should work to me :).
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Headchef » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:51 pm

For the time being; shit idea not really worth more words because there are decades worth of work ahead of the Devs anyway.
Headchef

Postby boreial » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:10 pm

Animal AI is supposed to be rewritten, however that alone will not solve the "issue".

The REAL issue actually is that our characters can and do get too strong. Lets look at it as if we were D&D characters, where an avearge stat is 9 (3d6). and a God like being has a stat of 26 on the "mortal plane". Our characters have unlimited stats, if there is an average point then a good few of the players (especially those that mention endgame) are WAY above this arbitrary average point, and running into the God like stats.
boreial

Postby Fostik » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:28 am

If the game proposes unlimited development of character - there should be not any limit in that case.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas