Of Thievery and Treasures

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Of Thievery and Treasures

Postby kill5link » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:28 pm

I've thought about additions that make stealth and thievery a profession in its own right in HH.

1. Kists. Very rarely while fishing in deep ocean, you can drag up a whole container! A kist is a tiny 3x3 container that holds valuables of the ocean, like salt, driftkelp and other curious items of the deep sea. However, these treasure chests are not easy to open. They require formidable amounts of stealth x int to lockpick, can not be destroyed by hand and require very high str to destroy with a siege, varying depending on the items contained within.

2. Asthore Maps. These maps lead you to a spot somewhere nearby, where an asthore kist can be digged up from the ground. The asthore kist and the asthore map both decay at the same speed and if you don't hurry to the kist they and the map will disappear. An asthore kist is just like a deep ocean kist except that it is digged instead of fished, requires much less stealth x int to lockpick and contains far simpler items. Any fruits, mushrooms and naturally spawning spices can be contained within. Asthore maps are uncommon items that can exclusively be gained by picking up vrakgods, additionally to the usual loot. Asthore kists can NOT be digged up without the corresponding asthore map.

3. Thief/Adventurer Credo
Level: 3
Requires: Forager and Fisherman Credo
Gives:
* +10 Int
* Chance that quests additionally reward you with an Asthore Map
* +15 Stealth
* Improved lockpicking speed (assuming you can pick at all)
* Quality of all goods found in any kist increased by 30%

Quest types:
* Pick a lock x times
* Study curiosities x times
* Find item y in an asthore kist
* Find asthore maps x times
* create a stealth/int artifact
* Gain points in int/stealth

4. Burglar Credo
Level: 5
Requires: Thief and Strider Credo
Gives:
* +15 Int and +15 Stealth
* Increases quality of any kists loot by +30% (for 69% total with Thief Credo)
* Makes it significantly harder for others to spot your scents
* Reduces the time until your scents are gone by 5% (alternatively: Reduces time until the red-handed debuff is gone by 10%)
* Ability to pick any seaworthy ship's lock. Works only if the Knarr/Snekkja is either outside of a claim or on an inactive claim.

Quest types:
* Leave a crime scent of type x
* Gain points of int/stealth
* pick a wood/metal/steel lock
* pick the lock of a kist
* pick the lock of asthore maps x times
* Find asthore maps x times
* Bring asthore map related items to questgiver
* Bring int/stealth artifact to questgiver
* Pick a strongbox
* Pick a door x times
kill5link

Re: Of Thievery and Treasures

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm sure the main response to this idea will be "this will just be another mandatory credo" due to the scent reduction and knarr picking

but beyond those couple things, the self-containedness of this idea is actually really interesting, and the idea of there being almost like a treasure hunt minigame that both puts some weight in to stealth and gives people a reason to go out and about sounds actually super fucking cool

I think it could be made even better if the kists had their own loot tables with the potential to have some very rarely occurring excellent shit in them, like brilliant gems, new and rare curios, and so on

Would also be very cool if they were actually kinda far from you, AND if there were only say a finite amount of diggable/fishable kists in the world at one time. This would make it so that treasure hunting could be a competitive task. A totally random loot that could be total garbage or something very cool that you only get a random chance of knowing the location of. The catch is that everybody else has the same chance, and once it's dug up, it's gone, and all maps leading to said kist become useless. After this a new kist would be spawned in to the world and all the maps have a random chance of pointing to any of the available kists in the world at at any given moment.

I give this idea a pretty fuckin hard +1 tbh
Zentetsuken

Postby vatas » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:43 pm

I have been putting off making a thread of it's own so I'll just mention it here, Knarr should be able to be lockpicked without any additional requirements if it hasn't been moved in X months. I'd personally put the value of X in between 1 and 3.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby TheOriginalFive » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:01 am

I like the treasure hunting premise. The thievery career, not so much.
TheOriginalFive

Postby jock » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:45 pm

PIRATE CREEEDOOO
jock

Postby Lyrroth » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 am

kill5link wrote:3. Thief/Adventurer Credo
* Improved lockpicking speed (assuming you can pick at all)
* Quality of all goods found in any kist increased by 30%

4. Burglar Credo
* Increases quality of any kists loot by +30% (for 69% total with Thief Credo)
* Makes it significantly harder for others to spot your scents
* Reduces the time until your scents are gone by 5% (alternatively: Reduces time until the red-handed debuff is gone by 10%)
* Ability to pick any seaworthy ship's lock. Works only if the Knarr/Snekkja is either outside of a claim or on an inactive claim.

improving lockpicking can be very dangerous it loftorb forgets about this after this implemented
artificial increase of quality just because it was a trash. sounds like pretty good way for certain group of people to abuse this greatly
scent and redhand makes it mandatory someway for pvpers?
i can see people having naked alt waiting for a knarr/snekkja being pushed by rng out of claim and stealing knarrs
Lyrroth

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:49 am

Kists sound cool and like a decent incentive to raise stealth & int. A land version akin to buried treasure would be nice too.

I think the devs need to think through lock-picking a lot more before a credo gets dedicated to it, especially for two credos that could just be named Thieving and Cooler Thieving. Lock-picking is effectively only relevant against players not experienced enough to make walls properly, it doesn't warrant a credo because the only thing on those lists that would be useful is the knarr stealing. But knarr stealing sounds ridiculous unless it basically had the same time requirement of a catapult.
DDDsDD999

Return to Critique & Ideas