List of game breaking balance issues

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: List of game breaking balance issues

Postby vatas » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:47 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:tbh you're probably a hypocrite if you're okay with noobs dying to all the dumb shit they constantly die to, but also think the one thing that's threatening to you(other players) shouldn't be able to kill you

Unlike wildlife and other "dumb shit" players may choose to actively hunt down noobs.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:34 am

TBH, I miss being afraid of running into bears and other larger animals... Snakes though... I hate snakes.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:53 pm

MagicManICT wrote:TBH, I miss being afraid of running into bears and other larger animals... Snakes though... I hate snakes.

Wolves should make you happy then.

vatas wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:tbh you're probably a hypocrite if you're okay with noobs dying to all the dumb shit they constantly die to, but also think the one thing that's threatening to you(other players) shouldn't be able to kill you

Unlike wildlife and other "dumb shit" players may choose to actively hunt down noobs.

This.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Melkior13 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, Snail.
Melkior13

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:26 pm

Granger wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:TBH, I miss being afraid of running into bears and other larger animals... Snakes though... I hate snakes.

Wolves should make you happy then.

I got ran over by wolves once. It was that one time of the month when they aggro you from off screen. Rest of the time... too easy to duck into a nearby cave because mountains were about the only place I ran into them.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:42 am

Granger wrote:
vatas wrote:

This.

dont leave scents and i cant actively hunt you down. its that simple.
like back in legacy where it was your own fault for wearing something you just bought instead of alt vaulting it because its PROBABLY scented.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Granger » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:10 am

wonder-ass wrote:dont leave scents and i cant actively hunt you down. its that simple.

Bullshit.

There are enough assholes that slaughter every character that's not in their green list, it's fully irrelevant if you are actively hunting me,
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Ants » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:44 am

Lyrroth wrote:
Ants wrote:Personally, I see no problem with getting killed by other players. It's only frustrating when you get one shotted by a titan because his botted gear and stats make him stronger than a normal player could ever hope to be. A cap on pvp stats could probably solve that. I don't know much about pvp, though, so I won't comment on this any further.

personally i do since every world there was problem that first day killer alts were already set and running. not to say that not even week into game there were bronze soldiers running all around world killing anybody on sight. ad killed a lot of people just to take their 10q bronze sword and trying to pillage their 20q flax despite being far away from home or have no use. there is a difference to establishing domination between factions or securing ground from just running around and smacking everyone with your dick then complain its small pp or big PP. mind you that most is clueless how to defend or run against people with tremendous experience. one is to learn from experience and mistakes one is to get stabbed like a lollipop for fun.

Why are first day killer alts a big deal? Early world is probably the best time to die since you can get back everything you lost relatively fast. Just get someone to build you a beacon and respawn.

Here's how you protect yourself:
1. Learn yeomanry as fast as you can. build a claim and some palisades.
There you go, now no bandit can get to your crafters.

Granger wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:dont leave scents and i cant actively hunt you down. its that simple.

Bullshit.

There are enough assholes that slaughter every character that's not in their green list, it's fully irrelevant if you are actively hunting me,

Keep your crafters behind walls and make forager/roadbuilding alts. Problem solved.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:24 am

How is Jorb killing some nab by breaking their rowboat the second it touches the ocean different to Bleh smacking them?

The answer is dying to Bleh is more interesting & meaningful.
It creates a potential long term conflict, goals, and forces meaningful decisions. I've hunted down and murdered/raided everybody who fricked with me when I was new, and it's to the point where I wish more people had because of how great turning the tables feels.
There's a reasonable opportunity for nabs who don't know how to run/fight to get out of Bleh killing them in fun and interesting ways, for example I've had people:
  • Bribe me to not kill/raid them
  • Flirt with me from the inside of their walls as I'm raiding them to get me to stop
  • Threaten retaliation/pretend they have scary friends I don't want as enemies
  • Plead
  • Offer to be slaves
  • Excessive admiration, followed by asking to be an "apprentice", for lack of a better term
  • Probably a bunch of other funny stuff I don't remember

And you know what. Sometimes it works. You know when AAA RPGs gets marketed as having "meaningful choices", or "meaningful dialog"? Haven is the only game where that's a real thing, and death not being reasonable hurts that a lot.

With all that said, running away from people is genuinely not that hard. Most people would get away most of the time after like two hours of practice. (((Unless you have high ping and there's lots of rivers nearby XD)))

Lyrroth wrote:day killer alts were already set and running. not to say that not even week into game there were bronze soldiers running all around world killing anybody on sight.

Shut up, Lyrroth. Its been literally impossible to kill anybody with a soldier sword unless they're like 40% HHP for in excess of three years now.

Granger wrote:There are enough assholes that slaughter every character that's not in their green list, it's fully irrelevant if you are actively hunting me

In every world there have been quiet places where the chance of randomly running into a hostile dude is basically zero, that people who want to live in peace and boredom can go. You have enough experience to know this is the case.

I'm just gonna put this out there for anybody without a lot of haven experience, or that don't read the forums a lot. Granger is a liar. He argues in bad faith constantly, and it's extremely obvious he's never trying to "get to the truth", he only ever tries to "win" arguments. I would strongly suggest ignoring anything Granger says, because he's both super out of touch, and anything he says will be at best an extreme misrepresentation of the truth, but usually just a lie.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:50 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I'm just gonna put this out there for anybody without a lot of haven experience, or that don't read the forums a lot. Granger is a liar. He argues in bad faith constantly, and it's extremely obvious he's never trying to "get to the truth", he only ever tries to "win" arguments. I would strongly suggest ignoring anything Granger says, because he's both super out of touch, and anything he says will be at best an extreme misrepresentation of the truth, but usually just a lie.

I'm posting this purely from a forum moderator point of view, so please take it that way.

I wouldn't call Granger a liar. I'd call him a pessimist. I don't blame him for being a pessimist. This kind of game can do that to people, but then it's usually not the game that brings that out, but life's experiences before the game. Just remember opinions are like assholes: everyone has one, and they all stink. :D
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas