Infinite/Excessive Bat Cave Spawns

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Infinite/Excessive Bat Cave Spawns

Postby Dogswards » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 pm

ctopolon4 wrote:mb u just lack of strategy, stats not mean much (ex.: U can kill mammoth with 10q spear and 1 MC)

As I said, we were having no trouble whatsoever killing the bats. We were killing them quickly and not losing much health doing so. The issue is, a big bat spawns literally the same second another big bat dies. So I don't see how a better strategy would have allowed us to go through this room. Perhaps you have suggestions of a strategy that would allow us to stop the bats from respawning?

What we tried:
  • Luring the bats to the entrance of the room in small groups to minimize wounds. Didnt work, they keep respawning and refilling the room.
  • Going in, aggroing all of them and killing them. No point, as soon as we kill one, another respawns and re-joins the fight.
  • Having people lure most of the bats outside the room and tank them outside the room, while a small group goes into the room and kills the remaining bats (in the hopes that those outside the room wouldnt respawn, and that way we could kill those inside the room faster, perhaps making them not respawn). Didn't work. Those killed inside the room still respawned at the same second they were killed. Those killed outside the room respawned back inside the room.
  • Going all in, aggroing the bats and fighting them right under the exit of the room, in the hopes that would somehow make them stop spawning. Didn't work, they still kept coming.

Again, we were having no trouble beating the bats for a few minutes, leaving the room for openings to restore, going back in and doing it again. When we wiped, we did so because a bunch of us got stuck on the damn cliff and surrounded, so we couldnt leave, and after 5 minutes or so of bats constantly respawning, the wounds piled up.

EDIT: Should also point out that we cleared every room up to that point easily, without ever needing to even do the whole "taking breaks". The problem arose only in this specific room.
Dogswards

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:16 am

Bats honestly out played you pretty hard, they deserve the win.
DDDsDD999

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:37 am

i ended last world with 13k ua and 40k str and these bats were shitting on me in some rooms in groups of 4+ people
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Dogswards » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:i ended last world with 13k ua and 40k str and these bats were shitting on me in some rooms in groups of 4+ people
DDDsDD999 wrote:Bats honestly out played you pretty hard, they deserve the win.

Both of these are fine. I am fine with not being able to complete the dungeon and I am fine with being beaten by the bats.

The issue is, there are 2 possibilities for what happened here:
1 - The room was bugged, which most people here are saying was not the case.
2 - The game conveys difficulties in dungeons by infinitely spawning enemies for a ridiculously long amount of time.

If 1 is the case, then it should be fixed. If 2 is the case, then it's a poor implementation of difficulty and should also be fixed/improved. Beating enemies up for half an hour is not fun and it's not challenging. If what the game is trying to convey is "you cant beat this room, you're too weak", then it should do so through stronger enemies, not through the boredom of clearing a room for an inordinate amount of time.

Can anyone actually say that dungeons are a fun and well implemented mechanic at the moment? Ant dungeons are full of infinitely spawning enemies in cleared rooms that just annoy you and a terrible key mechanic, bat dungeons are full of endlessly respawning enemies that spawn even more enemies, beaver dungeons have nothing interesting to them besides "turn on swimming once in a while". All 3 dungeons have 2 - 3 new enemy types only that endlessly repeat, and terrible map generation. Why the fuck do we have 3 different poorly implemented and barebones dungeons, instead of a single proper one?
Dogswards

Postby Ardennesss » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:10 am

Dogswards wrote:Why the fuck do we have 3 different poorly implemented and barebones dungeons, instead of a single proper one?
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby ctopolon4 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:46 am

u may miss 1 bat from this room, hidden somewhere in explored dungeon and have endless spawn as result.
if u manually select purple bats and focus them first (not spam 1 button full circle to win).
add in ur party few MC mans with parry and storm (also dont forget to focus)
ctopolon4

Postby fallout » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 am

Alpha game development shouldn't be compared. Yall just begging Loftar to completely remove the dungeons at this point.
fallout

Postby Dogswards » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:43 pm

fallout wrote:Alpha game development shouldn't be compared. Yall just begging Loftar to completely remove the dungeons at this point.

Don't see why that matters. It's been 2 years since they've been added, so they could have been improved by this point. And there's 3 different dungeons. Why do a shoddy job of implementing them 3 different times instead of doing it properly once?
Dogswards

Postby azrid » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Dungeons can be broken. Spawns in the void and blocked doors are possible.
Heart containers should be the reward of bat dungeons only and abyssal insights reward of ant and beaver dungeon.
The heart container is much more valuable as an item.
The varied difficulty level is fine imo. I also like how melee combat gets more use thanks to dungeons.
azrid

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas