Animals product quality when hunting

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Animals product quality when hunting

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 am

kmarad wrote:I don't know, to make leather you beat the skin with osmething blunt, as you beat the meat to tenderize it too.

You've already skinned the animal and dried it. When you tenderize meat, it's usually be properly bled and aged as a carcass before it was butchered and needing tenderized. Taking a blunt object to soft tissues of a living creature isn't tenderizing it, it's making a bloody pulp of those tissues that is unfit to eat.

I try to avoid using realism arguments, but when a proposed rule or mechanic is contrary to how things actually work, I feel it does need to be said.

kmarad wrote:On this topic I like a lot what unreal world devs did : when you are hungry, you'll go for the kill by any way possible, but when you want the skins, you are particularly careful about how you kill an animal, which is much more difficult using blunt weapons, but much more rewarding.

Yeah, they did come up with an interesting mechanic there. For small animals, snares have always been enough to get both meat and hide that are usable. For larger animals, as long as you don't poke them full of <arrows/spears/weapon> holes, you can usually get a partial hide to dry.

I will note that the ancient Sioux (Lakota) Indians used to stampede buffalo off of cliffs as a means of hunting them. They certainly got enough usable hide and meat that way. Of course, they weren't necessarily looking to make quality leather goods, either, and when you're hungry, any meat is food for the belly, no matter its quality.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:27 am

If you're talking about realism - ask yourself "What would be the quality of bearskin if it will be killed by 8 swings of gigantic battle axe?"
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby MarcusXDead » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:05 am

As if melee boat hunting isn't a thing.
Srly.
^The wall of text^
MarcusXDead

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:54 am

Enjoyment_2 wrote:If you're talking about realism - ask yourself "What would be the quality of bearskin if it will be killed by 8 swings of gigantic battle axe?"

And we made that argument when the whole archery change was made. My opnion: quality shouldn't matter with what weapon is used, but it should matter in how much of what kind of products you get--half a hide (if any is usable at all), all bits and pieces and no good cuts of meat or some different portion thereof, etc etc.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lyrroth » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm

MarcusXDead wrote:As if melee boat hunting isn't a thing.
Srly.

depending on lag and smartness of certain people it is much harder to perform than disthunt
Lyrroth

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas