Development Headsup: K/O-mechanics, Archery Towers

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Development Headsup: K/O-mechanics, Archery Towers

Postby jorb » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 pm

We've been developing, and want to make some potentially controversial changes that we figured we'd run by you first.

Knockout-protection on death:
"K/O-protection" implies the ability to be immune to combat relations while knocked out. Presently, all players, save those who buy the skill "Rage" always enjoy it. People who buy "Rage" never enjoy it.

Proposed changes
  • Players no longer enjoy K/O-protection by default.
  • You get K/O protection by activating a new Rite called "Ancestral Ward".
  • An "Ancestral Ward" lasts indefinitely, or until you wake up from a knock out.
  • The cost of activating an "Ancestral Ward" is 0 + (1 * Number of Activations of Ancestral Ward) Numen points.
  • Ancestral Ward has a non-interruptable, 5-second casting time.
  • "Ancestral Ward" is unlocked by a new skill "Ancestral Worship", which costs 5k LP, depdenent upon "Hearth Magic".
  • The skill "Rage" no longer implies anything for your K/O-protection.
  • Another new/old skill "Murder", is introduced. If you do not have Murder, you cannot have Combat Relations with K/O-ed characters.
  • Transitionally, all players get a one-off "Ancestral Ward" when logging in after the change is made, free of charge.

Reasoning
While we've felt that introducing K/O-protection as a concept in the game has led to some good things, i.e. the ability to be out and about questing, foraging, &c, without complete fear of random ganks, we also feel that it has certain unsound effects, like 1) Death not being much of a thing at all relative animals, or players. 2) Random no-investment alts being somewhat OP.

We feel that these changes could make K/Os a more relevant game mechanic, death a more real possibility, but with some offset against the more complete volatility of the older life/death regimes. Especially, we think this could make it more of an actual, real, and potentially tough decision when and whether to activate the protection, potentially leaving you vulnerable in particular situations.

Archery Tower Exclusion range
We will be, generally, introducing a simple rubble object, indicating the bounding box of destroyed buildings for some time after their destruction. With this in place, we additionally plan to make it so that the rubble object for archery towers maintain the archery tower exclusion zone for 24hrs after the destruction of one, meaning that you would be potentially significantly more limited in when and where you can place them.

Let us know what you think.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Development Headsup: K/O-mechanics, Archery Towers

Postby Redlaw » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:21 pm

I am ok with this. Seems like a change that adds options to game play, and making numen points worth getting. Since as of now if I build an alter its many as a decore lol.
Redlaw

Postby Astarisk » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:21 pm

This sounds like a system that still screws over the low tier people while giving the high end people a huge advantage. Those with the best end game wont be effected while everyone else will be. You are also adding in a mechanic that isn't explained to new people. It will provide a lot of confusion going forward.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby shubla » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:25 pm

I agree that this basically screws noobs and gives pro players huge advantages.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Fostik » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:29 pm

Totally broken for noobs who have not 100% successfull hunting. There should be some kind of workaround for them.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:29 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
People without rage cannot reasonably die

Problem
I. Can't. Kill. People.

And another request of HH-Queen is ready to be implemented.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby jorb » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:31 pm

Fostik wrote:Totally broken for noobs who have not 100% successfull hunting. There should be some kind of workaround for them.

It used to be that bears et consortes could kill you, quite simply. I don't think that was broken per se.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby shubla » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 pm

shubla wrote:I agree that this basically screws noobs and gives pro players huge advantages.

Adding to previous: noobs don't know that they have to do this and doing this is more difficult for them than pro players, giving pro players advantages.

1 interesting idea would be: You can toggle KO protection on for free, but only way to get rid of it is to get KO'd. Then you would have cooldown of some time before you can toggle it on again. Toggling it wouldn't really cost anything, thus noobs wouldn't be at disadvantage, and getting KO'd would still have some impact, as you would have to wait or be extra careful during the cooldown time.

ALSO: This will lead to INCREASED usage of alts for hunting etc, because people don't want to get these incremental, permanent, penalties for their main chars.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jorb » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:37 pm

Astarisk wrote:This sounds like a system that still screws over the low tier people while giving the high end people a huge advantage. Those with the best end game wont be effected while everyone else will be. You are also adding in a mechanic that isn't explained to new people. It will provide a lot of confusion going forward.

I agree that there is a pedagogical problem in explaining the mechanic adequately, but it is under no circumstance -- arguably -- worse than what we used to have before K/O-protection was even a thing, no?

The price point or activation mechanics could be debated as points in themselves. I'm not necessarily wed to it having to be numen points if that's unfair. The main point perhaps being that it should be a real decision.

jorb

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:38 pm

Fostik wrote:Totally broken for noobs who have not 100% successfull hunting. There should be some kind of workaround for them.

Aren't you overestimating the risk of dying while hunting? It's really only bears, mammoths and trolls that currently have any chance of killing you, IIRC. Noobs wouldn't die anymore from hunting foxes or boars than they currently do.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas